Absolute Boyfriend

Alt titles: Zettai Kareshi

DuskFey's avatar By DuskFey on Sep 3, 2010

Manga in 200 Words: Absolute Boyfriend

Premise: Riiko never catches a break; every boy that’s she’s ever loved has turned her down without hesitation. Hurt and alone, Riiko turns to a strange online company for a solution. Will her artificial boyfriend Night solve Riiko’s problems or make them worse?

Art: Sleek, smooth art typical of shoujo manga. Everyone has spiky hair and is drawn with long, elegant lines. I approve.

Relationships: Absolute Boyfriend has good tension between the characters and maintains it well through series. Riiko is easy to relate to, and Night and Soshi were both appealing. Personally, I shipped Soshi from volume 2 on.

Action: The battles in this series are used more for humor than tension. In particular, 02’s fight with several enemies. (You’ll know it when you see it.)

Audience: Teen girls who’ve been burned by bad relationships and unrequited love.

Extras: Of the two final stories, I preferred “Aromatic.” It seemed kind of hollow at first, but once the secret of the girl’s pheromones was revealed, I was charmed.

Overall: Absolute Boyfriend is a solid series. Some parts are a bit more mature, but it’s handled in an innocent way. Expect a sweet, light drama.

chihinoke22's avatar By chihinoke22 on Dec 31, 2009

This story is full of surprises and of course the the best prize is a surprise.

Riiko got a sex toy from the future on a website (boy how I wish it was real). She didn't return him on time so now she has to one million dollars (aka: the price for the perfect guy). The adventures they have together were all wonderful and all wasted because (here comes a spoiler) once they had sex Night , the sex toy, dies and the story ends. R.I.P. Night Tenjou.

yasmin09's avatar By yasmin09 on Aug 2, 2010

Story: Absolute Boyfriend is about a high school chick who is so desperate for a boyfriend that she actually buys one from a questionable catalogue and winds up with a "perfect" boyfriend who happens to be a robot, and of course, complication and drama ensues. Frankly, this story was fairly mediocre in plot. The plain, average girl has two guys madly in love with her for some non-stated reason even though she's pretty selfish, not smart, and is quite annoying. That said, the one reason that I rated this as high as I did is because the story kept me guessing. It's crazy, actually somewhat funny, and fairly unexpected so I was kept guessing till the end and so it stood out somewhat against some other shoujos, though that really does not say much.

Art: Mediocre at best. Sure, the guys were decent looking but the animation was subpar. It didn't stand out. There was a ridiculous amount of sparkles and polka dots. The expressions conveyed didn't leave much of an impact. Overall, it was generic and unmemorable so it was very lacking and could have used a lot of improvement.

Characters: The characters weren't the greatest. The main girl is selfish, not smart, loves more than one guy, and only cares about getting a boyfriend. Everything in life will be solved with a significant other right? Not only that, but she was also pretty pathetic especially in the way she handled a classmate being mean to her. She just sat there and took the abuse while crying. On top of that, she even admitted to liking both guys and strung the two along until nearly the end. Why the two main guys were in love with her was not clearly stated.

Night, the "ideal" boyfriend, was sweet and could do quite a bit but I found him nowhere near perfect. Though he had many talents, he lacked depth mainly because he was not a real person and so did not have any kind of backstory.

Soushi, the best friend next door, loved the girl because they've lived side-by-side for so long. He was willing to put up with the girls indecisiveness over who she liked and though he had some depth, I found it hard to really accept his decision to love her despite her awful traits.

Overall: This story did not have the best characters or story but it was somewhat entertaining for due the unpredictablility and craziness. I kind of liked how I did not know what would happen. So if you are looking for a fluff story with lackluster (and at times incredibly annoying) characters that provides you with mindless entertainment and a somewhat unpredictable plot, then this does the job decently. If you want something with actual substance, good entertainment, and that does not leave you feeling like you wasted part of life, look elsewhere.

4.5/10 overall
nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Feb 11, 2010

Story: For shoujo lovers, you will eat this up. Girl with little good qualities finds amazing unattainable men who loves her wholeheartingly.  Yet even with the generic premise, it surprises you. It's drama and humor and love and although it can be cheesy, you want to keep reading. The ending is sad in a way but not bad. Also, if you have anything important to do within the next couple of days, DO NOT start absolute boyfriend. This manga is addicting and once you start, you'll have read 20 some chapters, look at the time and realize "OMG, it's 4 in the morning, I need to go to bed......but just one more chapter". I kid you not.

Art: Nice but not anything amazing. Some bishounen boys though. They will not disappoint. These guys are the ones that you wish were real b/c there just so damn hot. There's no overload on hearts and starts. However, you probably won't remember the art style since it isn't memorable. I definitely won't.

Characters: The guys are great. I mean Knight is hilarious, endearing, sweet and just the perfect package. Gaku is just a laugh and kind of hot as well and Soshi. The girls are lackluster and can be annoying. I'm not fan of them or any of them. They are the reason why my score isn't as high as it could be.

Overall: I would recommend this to romance, drama, comedy and shoujo lovers. It's not too long that there's fillers but not too short that there's incoherency in the plot. This is so addicting as well. Not great in quality but addicting.

6.5/10 art
Viola's avatar By Viola on May 4, 2011

I am a romantic kind of person but I am not a huge girly girl.  I knew what to semi expect from this manga since it involved romance and most romances that I have read involve a girl who is very shy and reacts out of proportion and the boy always seems to want to protect the girl from any evil possible.  I find that this manga has character that deviates from that.  This manga has made me laugh and smile and if you want a good laugh and smile, read it.  :3