3D Material

sothis's avatar By on Oct 8, 2009

3D Material is a set of two one-shots centering around romance and drama, aimed at a josei (older female) audience. Story 1 is easily the most compelling, with two character embroiled in a bitter love triangle with plenty of angst to go around. I recommended the manga with Nana for that reason. Story 2 was terribly confusing for me and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Artwork is pretty bad as well, so this is one I'd probably skip on.

casandra29's avatar By on Apr 4, 2016

This manga really gets to the truth of human nature and relationships. It's not cute, it's not nice but it's real and that is what they were going for. In that way it did a splendid job. Many of the younger crowd would like to deny it for themselves and their situations but all this is very real. Personal opinions asside I think this manga accomplishes it's mission and does a good job of it. Every character is very well based in reality. That being said, many people don't read manga for the realism and even fewer do it to look at the flaws in their own nature so I doubt this manga would have a very good reception by most people. It makes people uncomfortable.

The art is right on for the type of story it is. It's messy, dark, and not pretty. All this definately links to the overall tone of the manga and it's in my opinion the right choice. The beauty in it is in it's imperfection. I'm positive this is what the mangaka was going for. I've read another oneshot of a similar nature by this person and they used the same art style. You can see the contrast between the pretty girl but ugly nature very well and vice versa.

The Characters in this manga are very down to earth and you see their flaws. This is not a prince charming story and none of the characters are perfect. Even the ones who like to act like it. However, you also see them grow as human beings throughout the duration of the short manga and can feel their feelings and emotions as they grow.

Overall, I'd say this manga is not for everyone. I'd only suggest it to people who are not opposed to looking at reality no matter how ugly or flawed. It's not a great lovey dovey story. The drama is realistic and the flaws of the characters hit home. It may have romance but it's not pretty. You need to approach this manga with a certain amount of maturity to grade it unbiasly. People don't usually want to see what's not pretty about realtionships or themselves. Hense it's overall low rating. However, apart from personal feelings this manga deserves high ratings. It's not only unique, but honest and it's very deep. It was well worth the read though it will never be a personal favorite of mine or most other people.

8.5/10 story