Natsume Yuujinchou

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Xennon, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Xennon

Xennon New Member

Posted by Xennon on Jul 15, 2008
    Natsume Yuujinchou

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Just watched the first episode and loved it. It was very mellow and serene, even during the action scenes, which is unlike any other series I have seen before, and you think that it would make it boring, but it was not. I was also expecting it to be unoriginal but the way he goes about releasing the spirits and he sees a glimpse of his grandmother and how she interacted with the spirit was... well original. The tone of the episode also helped greatly with immersing me in the world, and within that episode I can already feel an attachment towards Natsume, and also Madara.

I liked the OP and ED and the music playing during the episode only enhanced the mood of the story. The animation was good. It wasn't flashy nor dark, they stuck to earth based colors, which helped set the mood.

Overall, I wasn't really expecting much going into this, but now I am patiently awaiting the next episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Shirono

Shirono New Member

Posted by Shirono on Jul 19, 2008
    [strike]I just got this first episode and cant wait to watch it. I love shows with Japanese demons and spirits, so I hope to get a kick out of it.[/strike]

I loved it! Neat premise, and the manekineko spirit is adorrrrrrrrrrable.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. sothis

sothis Overlord Staff Member

Posted by sothis on Jul 26, 2008
  4. Shirono

Shirono New Member

Posted by Shirono on Jul 30, 2008
    Watched through episode three. I'm in love with this show!

I'm obsessed with yokai, shikigami, ancient gods, onmyoji and buddhist priests... so this show is right up my alley. A lot like Shounen Onmyoji (which, I thought, wasn't very good) in theme, but so far I love the characters, the spirit designs, and the story... I'm waiting for the story to heat up a bit... I hope it does.

The thing that will make or break it for me is how cheesy/stereotypical the love interest stuff will be. If they do that wrong it just kills a show for me. Here's hoping. We could definitely use another human main character, at least.

I have high hopes for this one!

5. Xennon

Xennon New Member

Posted by Xennon on Jul 30, 2008
    Kinda looks like the class president may be the love interest.

6. Shirono

Shirono New Member

Posted by Shirono on Jul 30, 2008
    Well, yea, that seems apparent, but I mean will it end up being interesting or a real stereotypical anime romance? I like that she seems to be strong-willed, that counts for something.

I guess I only say that because Shounen Onmyoji was totally flattened by the bland, boring romance bit. Maybe I should just shut up about that whole part and just see what happens... ha ha...

7. Xennon

Xennon New Member

Posted by Xennon on Jul 30, 2008
    I still think it's way to early to predict anything, I mean, she only had what, a couple lines in the show so far? The way the show is going, there may not even be a romance aspect to it.

I have a question though, what do you mean by the stereotypical romance? Are you talking about the basic romcom type deal where they never talk about it even though it is so obvious, and never do anything till the last minute of the last episode?

8. Shirono

Shirono New Member

Posted by Shirono on Jul 31, 2008
    Well, yeah, I just mean nothing interesting...he likes her, she might like him, its obvious to the audience, she gets all saved by him, they kiss in the last episode.

I guess I'm not that worried. I just saw the hint that she may be an interesting character, and I hope they follow through (like, is she tough? Bossy? Will she pursue him instead of him pursuing her??? Will he share his secret with her??) with something interesting.

I really apologize for the rant... I was seriously being dumb...the show just started. Heh heh.

9. Szwagier

Szwagier New Member

Posted by Szwagier on Jul 31, 2008
    Indeed this anime is awesome. Watched the 3 eps so far (and waiting eagerly for translation of 4) , and in terms of mood i'd compare it to Honey and Clover. It's the same mix of peaceful and serene with lonely and nostalgic. Of course the story is completely different, but the mood really bring them close together.

The Op/Ed are perfect for the show (especially Ed) and drawing style is very nice and detailed. And while i'm not a big fan of all the Ayakashi/Youkai/Oni stuff this show certainly have something in it, that kept me interested whole time so far.

About the Romance part that will prolly be introduced to show at some point, my guess would be "the women who accept lonely Natsume" type. He seems to have quite a complex, over ppl thinking he is a freak, so that would be the most obvious way to pull the romance part. But of course they might suprise us with something really unexpected ;]

10. Shirono

Shirono New Member

Posted by Shirono on Jul 31, 2008
    You're right about the ending theme! Its so beautiful!

11. Xennon

Xennon New Member

Posted by Xennon on Aug 7, 2008
    Man, just watched episode 5, this show is exquisite, really one of a kind.

12. VivisQueen

VivisQueen Active Member

Posted by VivisQueen on Aug 8, 2008
    I dumped Macross Frontier a little while ago and stared around me for something else to replace my flagging watching list. I found this anime and haven't looked back. If it continues the way I think it will be, I'll rec it with Spice and Wolf. Giving me that same calm, intelligent, evenly-paced feel but with overt mystic elements and highly likeable and probably complex characters. Yay for good anime that's not full of ecchi and mindless explosions! ^^

13. VivisQueen

VivisQueen Active Member

Posted by VivisQueen on Aug 9, 2008
    Epsidoe 5:

Hahaha! Santo is so funny!

14. Xennon

Xennon New Member

Posted by Xennon on Aug 13, 2008
    Episode 6

Definitely the best one so far, really sad.
    He got so attached to that spirit, bittersweet when she left.

15. Szwagier

Szwagier New Member

Posted by Szwagier on Aug 14, 2008
    Ep 6

Wow - that one was truly beatiful :O This anime is amazing - when it have more "comedy like" episodes they are still nostalgic, and when a sad one (like this) appears it's still peaceful.
    I have a feeeling, that when this show is over my top5 might be changed a bit :]

16. VivisQueen

VivisQueen Active Member

Posted by VivisQueen on Aug 14, 2008
    Episode 6:

Tsubama's story was so touching. Even though it's an evenly paced show, I barely notice time go by, I'm so entranced.
    Anyone else excited to find out what that cat's all about? On the one hand supposedly he wants to eat Natsume, but on the other hand he helps him out a lot. Mysterious.

17. Xennon

Xennon New Member

Posted by Xennon on Aug 14, 2008
    I agree.

I think he is just putting up a tough front, don't think he wants to eat him, he's too attached to do that. But I do think he is hiding something.

18. chii

chii chii is chii

Posted by chii on Aug 15, 2008
    this show is sooo good :D

it's up there with mushishi only actually has a plot!

19. krono

krono New Member

Posted by krono on Aug 16, 2008
    Man! The first few posts encouraged me to take up the series, so here i go!
    (@chi: nice av n sig set. is that Yuna of FFx2?)

20. Szwagier

Szwagier New Member

Posted by Szwagier on Aug 16, 2008
    My guess would be he was in really good terms with Reiko. His comments so far shows, that he knew not only her arrogant and selfish side, but also the "kind" part (assuming i'm interpreting it correctly and she actually had one :P ). Natsume reminds him of Reiko, so he grows attached to him.