Kamigami no Asobi

Episode 9:

This show really is no fun when it gets serious. However, this was a slight improvement over the last two episodes.

One of the things that's always bugs me about the setup of this show is the Greek gods were always pretty deeply involved with humans so it would seem like these lessons are unnecessary. I'm not as knowledgeable about the Norse Gods or the Japanese deities to say if the case is different for them. However, this episode does give a reason for Apollon to be there. He's not there for lessons in getting along with humanity, but because he suffers from interactions he's had in the past.

I do like that this episode tries to integrate the mythology into the story of the anime a bit more, but I wish they hadn't tried to make this so overdramatic because it sucked all the fun out of the episode. The first few gods had a bit of drama in their stories but the show kept it light and stayed away from the melodrama. Here though the melodrama is turned up to 11, which makes the rather simple solution of Cassandre forgiving Apollon seem a little too simple for his issues. The plot is very simple and the mythology is very simplified. Everything is dumbed down to the usual level for this anime so what's missing is the sense of levity that was making this tolerable before.

The best part of the episode is the parts where they are talking about the exams because it is funny to think of a bunch of gods freaking out about midterms. This anime just has this silly concept so when it rolls with it the show is much better.

However, I will give this episode some credit for being clever about Zeus and Toth because this episode once again suggested that maybe those two don't understand humanity as well as they think and they are learning some lessons here as well. It's again an oversimplified subplot, but it's a bit of depth the show didn't have to add. That being said Toth is still a completely dick.

Hopefully the next episode will be a bit more balanced than this.

So overall, a pretty mediocre episode that took itself too seriously.

Episode 9:
The best part of the episode is the parts where they are talking about the exams because it is funny to think of a bunch of gods freaking out about midterms. This anime just has this silly concept so when it rolls with it the show is much better.

Indeed, that's what I like about this. I'm not a fan of the harem genre at all, but when this show isn't being overly dramatic and forceful with its interactions, it's a cute watch.

Episode 10:
I think this episode is my favorite so far. Until the very end, that is. Everyone is being cute and innocent, while poor Hades is left out as always. Again, he's easily the most adorable character out of the bunch. The play was obviously going to go haywire, but even so it got a few giggles out of me. I might not like Toth, but his narrating was brilliant. And Anubis finally steps out from the background. Still not sure what his purpose is here, but I'm alright if he continues to stir up some comedic mischief.

Then we have the ending. I'm really not looking forward to more Balder drama. Remember that big fight scene at the very beginning of episode one? I figured the cause of that would be Zeus. Looking back on it now, it shows Zeus is helping with the fight... while Balder isn't. So it looks like Balder is the cause of all that. Apparently all this drama over Balder is going to explode into what we first saw in the beginning of the show. I've been wanting to see all the gods in their true forms, but I really don't feel like dealing with Balder anymore. More Hades, please.

Episode 10:

I thought this episode was hilarious and easily the best of one this series so far.
It was a ton of fun to see everyone dressed up and I quite like that the show recognizes that Thor has very little personality so he doesn't even get to play a character in the play, he's just various parts, he was quite brilliant as the tree though.

There were so many great moments in the play Dionysus "I'm dead" and blowing off stage got me laughing pretty hard. Then, I was just amused because of his "juice." It's a funny bit of weirdness since the show can't suggest underage kids are drinking even though the gods are technically thousands of years old.

And yes, poor Hades is quite adorable this episode with everyone ignoring him. He's such a lovable loser. I also liked his bit in the post credits scene. However, it was definitely Toth's narration that stole the episode. It's perfectly in his character for him to get annoyed like that so it made for some great comedy, no matter how annoying his character usually is. Anubis has been teased a few times, but his showing up still feels a bit random.

However, I'm in completely agreement that I don't like what the end of the episode suggests. After a fun and cute episode I really don't want more drama with any of the gods because that's this show's weakness. Although, I had forgotten about the big battle of the gods from the first episode, so I guess we need something to explain all of that. I'm not really looking forward to the end of this series if we're going to get two or three dramatic episodes in a row.

So a pretty damn fun episode all around even if the ending leaves me not exactly looking forward to the next episode.

Yes! The post credits scene was great. Hades is seriously so moe. I never expected to like a character from a reverse harem so much.
Just look at that face.
wmPdO0v.png

Episode 11:

This wasn't as bad as I feared. It still wasn't as good as the comedy episodes, but I thought this was the closest to well done drama this show has gotten. It was silly and cheesy, but considering it's all based on mythology it could have actually been a lot sillier.

I actually liked Loki this episode and thought the episode did an okay job of fleshing out the relationship between him and Balder. The OST was pretty nice this episode and added to the atmosphere of the scenes even if all of this is pretty shallow and not particularly well developed. For a reverse harem though it is doing a decent job. It's definitely better than Balder acting like a jealous little bastard over Yui.

Of course we know that Balder won't actually die so his sacrifice at the end doesn't actually mean much of anything. It's just a matter of what saves him. I guess Zeus could get off his ass and do something constructive for once.

So yeah, the episode was okay.

Episode 1

WHY ARE ALL OTOME PROTAGONISTS PSEUDO SLUTS

The purple haired bimbo couldn't speak her mind when two man-whores were trying to press up against her like wtf

It was okay other than that I guess but this is my first otome anime sooo I have nothing to compare it to.

This is probably the most gentle introduction to Otome you are going to get. Even though I said she wasn't a wet noodle, I meant that in comparison to other Otome leads.

As for the leads being pseudo sluts, well they are wish fulfillment for the type of person that likes playing Otome games. The characters are blank slates to make it easier for the player to project themselves onto the character and get it on with all da pretty boys.

I guess you have a point there.

This is my first otome anime that I plan to watch completely because Hades looks hawt but that doesn't mean I haven't seen other otome girl sluts.

Remember Brothers Conflict? (if you watched that) That main girl was so fucking terrible, like I grind my teeth thinking about it. It was so bad I refuse to acknowledge that I even watched one episode on the anime list AP lets us have.

...I wouldn't call them sluts.

Episode 11:
I agree with ZK, this episode was better than expected. I didn't like Loki in the beginning, but he was pretty great this episode. They handled the drama and relationship between him, Balder, and Thor (who is pretty much ignored most of the time) decently, and I honestly did enjoy it. It's much more welcomed than the whole thing with Balder being a creep, at least. It was pretty obvious to me what would happen once the cliff came into view, but as ZK said, Balder isn't going to die. Someone is going to swoop in and save the day (Apollon on his Pegasus?). And speaking of Apollon, I'm getting real tired of his nicknames for the others. Please stop, it's not cute.

Yeah, sluts is the wrong word to use, especially in Otome games where the girls end up being victimized a lot of the time. Instead, they are just blank slate characters for the people playing the game to project themselves onto. It is also the reason they are given little to no agency but instead just have things happen to them. Otome games are written for a very specific kind of fantasy that some people have, but generally they are about a female character that is dominated to varying degrees by the pretty boys in her life.

It's one of the reason that Kamigami has been such a pleasant surprise for me. The type of Otome Games that have been getting adapted have been getting progressively more abusive toward the female lead, but this one turns the trend around. Instead, Kamigami is very much a typical reverse harem that doesn't show a lot of the hallmarks that Otome games are known for. Yui may not be the strongest lead, but she can speak for herself sometimes and at least shows some agency. Now, she still kind of takes a blank slate role with her episodes with the boys when it comes to her interactions with them, but they aren't abusive toward her or try to force their attention on her for the most part.

The only hints that this comes from an Otome game are the way Toth acts towards Yui, Apollon's nicknames and the way Balder acts in episodes 7-8. However, these aren't laid on thick so while they do drag down the anime, they don't ruin the experience. Instead, this is a pretty charming little comedy that's made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

Finale:

Well shit that was a ton of fun. Sure it was silly, sure the resolution made no sense, but I enjoyed the spectacle of it. The episode didn't take itself all that seriously and the ending was predictable but quite cute.

The part with them protecting the fake students was really silly and made me roll my eyes. Also, they stabbed Balder with heart which put him back in control of himself somehow? Uhh what?

All the guys got to show off their godly forms and Hades was quite the panty melter. Although Loki in hot pants made me choke on some food with laughter. All the guys got a moment this episode and even Toth sort of showed he cared. Zeus was kinda useless, but he hasn't done anything for the run of the show anyway.

I guess this show proves that sometimes just being fun is enough. 6 out 10

Yeah, Apollon and Balder are both pretty annoying. Balder is moe cute and Apollon is annoying with the stupid nicknames. The best guy is Hades by far. I also ended up liking Loki even though I thought he was a brat for most of the series. I know he's supposed to be the god of mischief and all, but most of the time he didn't even seem all that mischievous, but was just an unfun ass. It turns around in the last couple of episodes though.

The show tried to make him the moe moe one, but instead made him a complete idiot. I knew the first time he tripped and landed on his face we were in for trouble with him.

Not to mention, I find the voice acting so far with Balder is...WAAAAY overacted.

Apollon is even worse in the fact that his VA is just trying to hard.

Episode 12:
So... I ended up liking this a lot. Some stuff was just plain dumb, but it was also fun and adorable. I ended up getting a lot of laughs from it, which was a nice surprise since not many shows can make me legitimately laugh out loud. I was also amazed that I actually liked the characters in both appearances and personality. Hades is obviously best guy, but I enjoyed the others quite a bit as well (except Apollon and Balder, but they weren't completely terrible). Seeing them bumble around, trying to learn about human culture and school life was great.
I lol'd at Loki's hot pants, Hades was fabulously sexy, and even though I don't like Apollon, his transformation was pretty damn great. I demand more mahou shounen transformations! One thing I want to point out is that I liked the little forehead kiss from Loki to Yui. I wasn't expecting any kind of kiss in this show, especially not from Loki. I really liked it though; so incredibly cute.
I only really have two gripes - Toth and his 'signature move' of pushing Yui against the wall. He may not have done anything to her, but it was very obnoxious and unnecessary. I would have loved to have seen Yui punch him in the face at some point, but of course that wouldn't happen.
I laughed when Toth saved Yui by forcing her out of the way of falling debris by pushing her up against a wall. He really wouldn't know how to do it any other way, huh?

The second thing would be Balder's actions in the middle of the show. Sure, it had to do with his 'predicament', but it was pretty creepy nonetheless. That's really it though. I enjoyed most of everything else, and I would immediately recommend this if someone was looking for a reverse harem. This show has been the biggest surprise so far this year and I'm very happy I ended up watching it.

3.5/5

Yeah, I do agree with your two gripes. Toth seemed like he was from a different more abusive Otome Game, but he didn't go overboard with it and they did make it a joke once or two. He really didn't fit into this anime.

Your second gripe is even more pertinent because the show had avoided that kind of creepy drama up to that point. I'm glad it was just a one arc thing and the rest of the show didn't become like that but instead went back to its usual fun loving self.

The only other minor thing is I wish they'd used Anubis more. He was pretty much complete wasted for the whole anime only showing up on the fringes and never interacting with anyone except for the one episode. He never even got any speaking lines. I'm not sure why he was in the anime to begin with.

I agree with what you said about Anubis completely. He could have been a lot of fun if he had the chance. I imagine there's more to him in the visual novel, but the anime just didn't have enough time to get that far. Instead of leaving him out completely, I'm sure they added him in just as a way to please the fans of the game. Speaking of which, I kind of want to play it now...

Back