[img] tags are disabled until further notice

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sothis

sothis Overlord Staff Member

Posted by sothis on Aug 26, 2013
    Due to recent issues with a hacker targeting prominent anime sites, img tags are disabled until further notice while we continue to investigate safeguards. If you ever see a popup asking for credentials do not fill it in - Anime-Planet will never request your password using a prompt

2. r18

r18 Ojii-san

Posted by r18 on Aug 26, 2013
    thank you and your team for the great job your doing ..

3. Baam

Baam Guest

Posted by Baam on Aug 27, 2013
    Thank you very much for the warning.

4. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

Posted by Drahken on Aug 27, 2013
    Protip: If you normally log in to a website via HTML forms and you suddenly get some javascript type prompt to log in, suspect a trap.

On a related note, everyone should add the following domains to any kind of filtering/blocking they might have (your hosts files ideally, though keep in mind that hosts files are extremely specific, so make sure to add the domains both with and without the www. part); mec-salzburg.at and cifl.de The hacker is currently using the salzburg domain for his hacking and has used the cifl one in the past, blocking these will help protect you from his attacks, even on other sites (at least until he starts using a new domain).

5. r18

r18 Ojii-san

Posted by r18 on Aug 27, 2013
    uuuumhow do you block a domain???

6. Mimori

Mimori Let's Dance! ♪

Posted by Mimori on Aug 27, 2013
    I saw a very terrible hacker post last night in one of the character submission threads. The images were horrible.

*shudder*

I'm glad you guys are taking care of this.

kinda sucks for my Anime Face-Off game but that's okay

7. SpaceDaiGun

SpaceDaiGun Guest

Posted by SpaceDaiGun on Aug 27, 2013
    :nervous: You have my sympathies. Good thing I didn't see any of that.

8. Drahken

Re: tags are until further notice[/b]

[quote="r-18, post: 1431701"]uuuumhow do you block a domain???[/QUOTE]

You can add it to any kind of ad blocking or content filtering software (ie, the easy way), or the better way is to add it to your HOSTS file (on windows, I'm sure *nix/mac have something similar). Set the IP for the domain to either 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1.

9. r18

r18 Ojii-san

Posted by r18 on Aug 27, 2013
    Oic......which in fact I don't......still not sure what I would do to follow any of those ideas.....

10. Tyranid5

Tyranid5 New Member

Posted by Tyranid5 on Aug 27, 2013
    Is there an option by any chance to set it so that sigs aren't viewable unless post count is 10 or greater? The above is what sothis' sig looks like when i'm not logged in and I'd rather not be able to see sigs when i'm not logged in then see the post count message once for each link/picture in a sig.

It would just make browsing the forums a lot easier on the eyes when I'm not logged in, but it's not a life or death matter.

11. sothis

sothis Overlord Staff Member

Posted by sothis on Aug 27, 2013
    ah sorry, it's a new plugin i installed (related to this issue) and haven't quite finished setting up yet. will do that tonight

12. Drahken

Re: tags are until further notice[/b]

[quote="r-18, post: 1431837"]Oic......which in fact I don't......still not sure what I would do to follow any of those ideas.....[/QUOTE]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOSTS_file[/url]

13. GodzillaGus

GodzillaGus Member

10 posts. geez, i'm just sliding by

14. Mangina

Mangina Member

Posted by Mangina on Sep 7, 2013
    Cheers... I've blocked those domains now :smile:

15. Lithium

Lithium Guest

Posted by Lithium on Sep 13, 2013
    is this related to the site being blocked on firefox for the last few days?

16. Kari5

Kari5 Active Member

Posted by Kari5 on Sep 13, 2013
    If you're referring to the malware warnings that were happening yesterday, then no, they aren't related :)

17. Sianeka

Sianeka Active Member

Posted by Sianeka on Sep 13, 2013
    Forums were down for me, after I got the malware warnings. (I use Firefox currently.)

Is the "Like" button an [​IMG]

18. Drahken

Posted by Drahken on Sep 13, 2013
    re the "like" button: See the thread in the bugs/requests forum. Short version: It has nothing to do with img tags, is not directly related to the malware issue, but was disabled along with some other plugins while trying to deal with the malware issue. The malware issue is dealt with now, but "like" is unlikely to return, as sothis is working on switching to a different forum instead of this vbulletin stuff that keeps having so many issues. (It's also hoped that the new software will be able to finally integrate site & forum accts, though I don't know any details on that.)

19. Madoka

Madoka New Member

Posted by Madoka on Sep 17, 2013
    im a bit late in here but i still appreciate the warnings non the less.
    I find it sad and pathetic this is how some people spend their free time, but i guess that's just how some people are. Thanks anyway, i will be sure to be extra careful
    (fortunately i never log out unless the site/forum goes down which forces log out :3)

20. Sianeka

Sianeka Active Member

Posted by Sianeka on Oct 3, 2013
    DUH!!! I'm feeling pretty stupid because I only just now realized that the IMG tags referred to in the topic subject are the image linking tags ... *face palm*