Baccano!

Thanks for clarifying your point of view, but I do think it's an inherent flaw in Baccano that's the problem, not just a disparity in my tastes and its offerings. Any show can say 'I intend to be this way, so I'm great'.

I'm not just saying that Syriana did non-linear thing like this and so that's how Baccano should do it. I'm saying, a good way to handle the non-linear thing is like Syriana did it. And Baccano's way is inferior (nothing pulls together except in the most superficial sense i.e. isolated coincidences). Not all non-linear approaches were created equal, if you will. But mainly, it's the lack of strong/deep characters combined with the thin, aimless plot that makes it not so great in my eyes. If it had a strong plot and poor characters (which is what I initially expected), that's fine. If it had superb characters and an aimless plot (which I later thought more likely), that's also fine. If it had neither, but an interesting theme and/or style (I held out for that, but now given up), that would also be acceptable.

Baccano is low on all three. Even if it's intending to be a farce, that only makes it interesting in a transient sort of way. I'm enjoying the experience, but I'll never revisit nor give it a second thought once it's over, cause, well, there's nothing to take away from it. It's a 7/10 thus far, a respectable score that's purely due to its novelty factor.

I agree with both of you, oddly enough. Baccano is basically a lot of hip style and precious little substance, and while I certainly loved what was on offer I think that it is preciously short on substance is a rather fair criticism.

That said one thing that does irk me about Baccano is the fans who tout it as more than what it is and call it it the true successor to Cowboy Bebop over Black Lagoon and all that pap. While I found them both great, Black Lagoon is actually the smarter and more substantial series (in my oh so unhumble opinion, at least).

Also Revy > cast of Baccano, Ladd Russo included.

But I disgress.

whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!

FUCK THAT SHIT!!!!

Vino could kick everyone in all anime ever's ass ever! EVER!

EEEVVVVVVAAAAAAARRRR!!!

Ending:

Meh. Weak, weak characters and a plot that meanders but ends up nowhere and has more loose ends than my knitting.

As ace mentioned before
it doesn't explain anything important e.g. the demon, and I found the gangster stuff was actually highly irrelevant to a lot of the events on the train that meant anything. Honestly, those chance encounters and subplots without any rhyme, reason, or tension (Rail Tracer vs Ladd; Czes; Huey and Chane; Rail Tracer vs Chane; that turban girl ('My daddy was a train driver so I love trains' - er, what???) etc) were just excess. I didn't mind them, but I leave feeling like this show failed somewhat at what it was trying to achieve with its frenetic style and pacing.

Still, nice violence. 6.9/10

Vivie, you're entitled to your opinion, but I swear to fucking god, if you write a review of this series...

Look, I loved the ending! You had, I think three different stories coming to a conclusion, just blasting you in the face one after the other. Great, great, great. Now, I guess it didn't answer some questions, but this was meant to be a fun series, not some deep, multi-layered examination on life.

I am reminded of a description of the movie Syriana. The movie's makers said that viewers should not try to look for some overarching story, but rather focus on exactly what was going on on screen at that moment. In other words, the segments might be related, but would still be difficult to piece together. The only way to enjoy the story is to focus on whatever segment is playing at the moment.

Anyways, I'm rambling, but suffice to say that I found it mind-bogglingly entertaining, which is really all that matters to me.

Vivie, you're entitled to your opinion, but I swear to fucking god, if you write a review of this series...

Are you serious? There is no need for threats, lagore. -_-

And yes, I understand you loved the series. Telling me your views is interesting, but doesn't address the problems I had with the show. And it certainly won't make me love it any more.

Incidentally, I understood and enjoyed Syriana immensely. Baccano, however, I thought was okay - good even at several points - but overall lacking in substance due to the paper-thin characters and nonsensical plot. The show is meant to be fun, I'm sure, but it didn't tickle me one bit. From a more detached perspective, I see it as an interesting (if failed) experiment with great novelty value.

Are you serious? There is no need for threats, lagore. -_-

And yes, I understand you loved the series. Telling me your views is interesting, but doesn't address the problems I had with the show. And it certainly won't make me love it any more.

Incidentally, I understood and enjoyed Syriana immensely. Baccano, however, I thought was okay - good even at several points - but overall lacking in substance due to the paper-thin characters and nonsensical plot. The show is meant to be fun, I'm sure, but it didn't tickle me one bit. From a more detached perspective, I see it as an interesting (if failed) experiment with great novelty value.

I was... I was joking... :crying:

I'm sorry sweety! I love you... :crying:

...and I loved the characters.

Fine, fine. Lol. How can I stay mad at you? *pinches his cheeks*

You know, it's perfectly okay for me to not be impressed by the show and for you to adore it at the same time! So, you know, you don't have to try and convince me. :)

but.... buttttttttt

ladd russo :(

No argument there!

If they do make a sequel to Baccano it had better just be the further adventures of Ladd Russo killing things or feature Ladd Russo in some prominent way.

Maybe Ladd Russo poetry readings.

No joke, the thought of jamming this pen i have right in front of me straight into my ears crossed my mind when i read that.

I wouldn't mind if in the sequel his mouth was taped shut. Hopefully he'll at least bust circus freak's trachea or something so he can't talk either.

Well I fell off the wagon I have been at Sakuracon for the last few days.
But I will finish it this weekend so I will be able to join in on the fab discussion.

It was rare, but I did have a Issac Miria sighting at the con! I thought that was pretty cool seeing that I have been just watching it.

No argument there!

If they do make a sequel to Baccano it had better just be the further adventures of Ladd Russo killing things or feature Ladd Russo in some prominent way.

The sequel is simply titled.
BaLaddo

ha! I'd watch that OVA! half beat poetry, half killin'.

I really admire good farce and think that Baccano! was at the top of its game. The characters were concise, but appropriately and delightfully so imo. The story wasn't very 'deep', but purely entertaining through and through. I'm a big fan of old style screwball capers and metafic framing, though.

Back