Jinki:Extend

S

Shinji103

Jinki:Extend

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

OK, I found this interesting little gem on Gunota Headlines and absolutely had to post it. I think this is acually pretty funny. :laugh: It's a comparison of the opening animations for original Mobile Suit Gundam and Jinki: Extend. I think you'll find it quite interesting. :laugh:

Actual Picture:
http://s03.2log.net/home/yosaba/kyap1/jinki/jinki34.jpg

The site it's directly from:
–éŽI‚Ì–³E‚È“úX

EDIT: When you actually watch the opening animations one after the other or side-by-side, they aren't as ridiculously similar as the picture shows, but it's still pretty damn hilarious. :laugh: :laugh:

2nd EDIT: And while the MS Gundam pictures are in order from beginning-to-end, one of the Jinki ones is out of place, but still... :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe, that was a good chuckle. However, I believe that it's only coincidental (or maybe not, who knows?) If you looked hard enough and compared between two similar animes I'm sure similar comparison shots between them could be found :smile: Plus, J:E has more girls :love:

Edit: Just watched the openings (well more like ep 1's end and ep 2-3's op) and it looks like that comparison thingy just splices a bunch of images up from the j:e episodes to make it look funny. I'm not sure about ep 4-5, but there hasn't been a definite opening sequence for episodes 1-3 - it is different everytime. So it's misleading to say that it's a comparison pic between the op of Jinki:Extended and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Well, the comparison uses the opening from episode 5 of J:E.

And definitely, J:E has more (and better) girls. :love:

Episode 4 of Jinki had a new style of opening compared to episodes 2 and 3 (including some of the lyrics changing)

Episode 2 saw the ending change from what was used in episode 1, although the lyrics were not

Katchura said:
The series sucks, the only reason to even consider watching it is Aoba.
:confused: How about some back-up for that statement?

Bad
1) This is meant to be a Mechashow, but the Mecha are so vomit inducingly ugly. I don't think I've ever seen such a terrible looking head and the concept of independent pilots for the upper and lower bodies strikes me as teriffically stupid (no matter how many times it may have been done before). The unit in general looks clunky and the color scheme is just stupid. At least colorful gundams have some pedigree, this is just dumb.
2) "We can't run away because we have no fuel!" Two scenes later the thing is high-tailing it no problem.
3) Am not even going to mention how stupid the aliens or whatever they are look.
4) A pilot who claims that he cannot think in tense situations :w-hat:
5) We are defending the earth against whatever, OPPS! looks like the mantainence crew forgot my ammo, fuel, and weapons. Oh well.
6) All the Evangelion vibes.
7) No ED animation means this thing has zero budget

Good
1) Aoba is cute
2) That other grey haired chick is too

I kinda agree.
The plot has a lot of loopholes in that they're fighting these aliens, but the mechanics are careless (forgot to put ammo and fuel in the mech) and the pilots don't know how to use the shield!

The mecha wasn't very appeasing and the enemy was just a big rectangular box with a couple of guns sticking out.

Hopefully it'll develop a plot or at least explain some of this stuff as the series progresses, but right now I don't see anything good about it....except for aoba of course.

Katchura said:
Bad
1) This is meant to be a Mechashow, but the Mecha are so vomit inducingly ugly. I don't think I've ever seen such a terrible looking head and the concept of independent pilots for the upper and lower bodies strikes me as teriffically stupid (no matter how many times it may have been done before). The unit in general looks clunky and the color scheme is just stupid. At least colorful gundams have some pedigree, this is just dumb.
The mecha designs are actually interesting as they are a far cry from most mecha designs up until this show.
And there is a reason for why the Jinki are two-seaters that has to do with the plot of the story. Jinki can, and have, been single-person piloted. The reason for Jinki between two-seated is so that the energy of the Jinki doesn't corrupt a person. This has happened in the Jinki series. The bad guy called Kokusho (he's briefly in episode 3 and makes a full appearance in episode 5) used to be a pilot for Angel. He was the pilot of a single-seat Jinki, and the power of the Jinki corrupted him and made him a power-hungry bad guy. So the reason a Jinki is two-seated is to prevent this from happening again.

Katchura said:
2) "We can't run away because we have no fuel!" Two scenes later the thing is high-tailing it no problem.
What? That was episode one, and after the fight they walked back to base. What the heck scene are you talking about? :@_@:

Katchura said:
3) Am not even going to mention how stupid the aliens or whatever they are look.
Well the enemy aliens aren't the main bad guys of the show, so that doesn't really matter a whole ton.

Katchura said:
4) A pilot who claims that he cannot think in tense situations :w-hat:
:confused: :confused: Waitaminute, who?

Katchura said:
5) We are defending the earth against whatever, OPPS! looks like the mantainence crew forgot my ammo, fuel, and weapons. Oh well.
How many times do you see that? It certainly isn't cliche, and it was because they were distracted by the two old guys trying to hack at each other.

Katchura said:
6) All the Evangelion vibes.
All two of them. :...: The Aoba-Shizuka relationship is very different from Shinji-Gendou because Aoba hates Shizuka. Shinji wasn't totally sure of his feelings about his father, and thus the series developed on that.
The attacks from the ancient Jinki aren't the main focus of this show like the Angels were the main focus of NGE.

Katchura said:
7) No ED animation means this thing has zero budget
No ending animation? :confused: What's that thing being shown in the ending credits then? And V Gundam had the same kind of ending animation, with the Gundam simply flying by.

Katchura said:
Good
1) Aoba is cute
Most definitely. :love: :love:

Katchura said:
2) That other grey haired chick is too
Definitely. :love:

Koei said:
I kinda agree. The plot has a lot of loopholes in that they're fighting these aliens, but the mechanics are careless (forgot to put ammo and fuel in the mech) and the pilots don't know how to use the shield!
The fuel was a simple one-time mistake, and the shield was an all-new feature that the pilots didn't know about until they went into battle because the mechanic said he would tell them en route, then he was distracted when the other mechanics told him they forgot the fuel and ammo.

Koei said:
The mecha wasn't very appeasing and the enemy was just a big rectangular box with a couple of guns sticking out.
As said, the ancient Jinki are only the initial enemy, and thus were not focused on.

Koei said:
Hopefully it'll develop a plot or at least explain some of this stuff as the series progresses, but right now I don't see anything good about it....except for aoba of course.
There is a plot, which has already started. You just haven't seen it cause the subbed episodes haven't caught up with the most recent episodes yet. In short, have patience.

Well, as an update, you were right Shinji103, the opening to J:E is a direct homage to Mobile Suit Gundam's OP. That's pretty cool :) Btw, do you know how many episodes J:E will be?

It's planned at 13, but I hope they make a sequel or extend it. (Honestly no pun intended :sweat: )

And to all those Jinki slammers out there, there is absolutely no way that the animators intended the Jinki opening to pass as completely original. You can tell how by how extremely similar the openings are that they intended for people to see the obvious resemblance.

i've watched up to episode 6 and I'm pretty confused right now with all these "flashbacks." Actually I don't know if they're actually flashbacks or some other dimension or something. But some of the characters are in both the main story and the flashback. Can someone explain in a spoiler tag the purpose of these "flashbacks?"

Koei said:
i've watched up to episode 6 and I'm pretty confused right now with all these "flashbacks." Actually I don't know if they're actually flashbacks or some other dimension or something. But some of the characters are in both the main story and the flashback. Can someone explain in a spoiler tag the purpose of these "flashbacks?"
The "flashbacks" aren't really flashbacks...well they kind of are. In order for this to be truly understandable, I'm going to have to make this explanation a little detailed:

The Jinki: Extend anime is based off a manga series called Jinki and its manga sequel, Jinki: Extend. Jinki is about Aoba and her story in 1988, while Jinki: Extend is about Akao and her story in 1991. The anime basically combines both into one story (kind of), and the "flashbacks" are basically the series switching between the two.
Episode 7 shifts completely into Akao's story, with some flashbacks to Aoba's story. In Aoba's story, the organization Kyomu (from Akao's story) was just kicking up and developing, while in Akao's story they have gone into full deployment.

Hmm, yeah the series suffers from poor direction (such a disappointment in that department for me). However, the series can be better understood if you think about the "flashbacks" this way:

1. There are two timelines: Aoba's and Akao's
2. Episodes 1-6 focus on Aoba's timeline. This takes place in 1988 in when Aoba gets kidnapped to Venezula. You do see Akao briefly, but she doesn't speak.
3. (So far) Episodes 7-8 focus on Akao's timeline. This takes place in 1991. That's why you see many girl pilots in this time period.

That's all I can give without spoiling the storyline. I suggest skimming/rewatching the episodes again if you have the time because there is actually a nice storyline, but sadly, because of poor direction of the series, it is very confusing if you didn't know the facts mentioned above. It probably would make a lot more sense if you rewatch with these facts in mind (or at least it did to me because like you I was really confused after watching episode 7). And believe me you're not the only one that was confused, many others were too if you read the whole J:E animesuki thread. The problem is that the director so far has assumed that you know certain facts beforehand, thus the lack of better transitions. This was created for the Japanese and not for foreigners after all (but that's no excuse because you should be trying to attract fans that know nothing about the series unless you solely want to appeal to the current readings of the manga). The manga had a shaky start after all in Japan :sweating: If you really want to know more about how everything fits together (spoilers ahead, you have been warned), I suggest reading the following links:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26315&page=11&pp=20
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=432110&postcount=108
The former explains the series up to episode 7 pretty well. The latter shows the series' timeline based on the manga (I think).

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the manga. I was just confused, thought the anime was good (but confusing), and did some research =p

Ultima said:
The manga had a shaky start after all in Japan :sweating:

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the manga. I was just confused, thought the anime was good (but confusing), and did some research =p
The reason the manga started out shaky was because of the absolutely HORRIBLE character designs. >.< I have volumes 1-4 of original the Jinki manga. The starting character designs were the most horrible I've ever seen. Nothing compares to how horrid they were, especially since they were somewhat trying to get the whole cute girl thing going across. Thankfully, the bad character designs only lasted for the first 1 1/2 volumes, then were extremely improved, which led to the manga becoming a hit and spawning its sequel Jinki: Extend, and now this anime.

Note: This is also most likely why ADV released the Jinki: Extend manga in the states without releasing the original Jinki manga. They were probably afraid that the horrible character designs in volume 1 and the first half of volume 2 would scare people off, and I would say that they were most likely correct. :sweat:

EDIT: When/if I get the chance, I'll put up pics of the volume 1 Jinki manga designs just to show my point.

Shinji103 said:
Ultima said:

The reason the manga started out shaky was because of the absolutely HORRIBLE character designs. >.< I have volumes 1-4 of original the Jinki manga. The starting character designs were the most horrible I've ever seen. Nothing compares to how horrid they were, especially since they were somewhat trying to get the whole cute girl thing going across. Thankfully, the bad character designs only lasted for the first 1 1/2 volumes, then were extremely improved, which led to the manga becoming a hit and spawning its sequel Jinki: Extend, and now this anime.

Note: This is also most likely why ADV released the Jinki: Extend manga in the states without releasing the original Jinki manga. They were probably afraid that the horrible character designs in volume 1 and the first half of volume 2 would scare people off, and I would say that they were most likely correct. :sweat:

EDIT: When/if I get the chance, I'll put up pics of the volume 1 Jinki manga designs just to show my point.

Heh... I think it's more of ADV can't get the rights to it from Square Enix... Cause two other series that made the jump from Square Enix to Mag Garden (Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker and that Loki Detective manga) only had their "sequels" picked up by ADV...

Shinji103 said:
aqwabawks said:
Shinji103 said:
Ultima said:

Heh... I think it's more of ADV can't get the rights to it from Square Enix... Cause two other series that made the jump from Square Enix to Mag Garden (Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker and that Loki Detective manga) only had their "sequels" picked up by ADV...
Yeah, I know. But the character designs aren't helping ADV put any effort into getting the rights for original Jinki. :sweat:

Yeah I just saw some of the original manga... my eyes... my eyes they burn...

But boy did Tunasima improve his art work from the original Jinki...

Thank god Tunashima improved them. Jinki has a great and evrything, it simply lacked the character designs. :sweat:

EDIT: I just watched 12 and before anyone starts to wallow in despair
the series is supposed to go for 13 episodes and not 12, so the ending in 12 is probably a"just for now" ending and the series will get a better ending next week. I really doubt that they would cut the series short by only a single episode and stick with the ending they have. Although the current ending is by no means bad, they just need to tell us what happens to all of the characters.

Back