Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

Really? No posts whatsoever?

Sheesh...

Well, I just made a really cool animated gif if anyone's interested:

Gundam_0080_animated_gif_lagore.gif

Haha, good point Vivie. You think they would put a bit more thought into these sorts of things...

I have more awesome moments in anime I want to gif-ify, but there seems to be a lot of luck involved...

Nice gif. =)

One of the best ones,
with a sad ending, and ironic too on who kills our Zeonic pilot
Mikimoto's character designs were well crafted. Animation was top notch for it's day, and still holds it's own.

It fought with an Axe because it had lost it's gun after it fell in the colony if I remember correctly. (in fact was that after he gets his Zaku Running again? It has been ten or so years since I saw it)

This was the real hey day of the UC storylines.
For such a short series it really does not revolve around mecha combat. There is much more story devoted to the kid, the enemy pilot and the pretty Gundam WOMAN! pilot ;) That is right a capible Gundam test pilot who is cute to boot.

If anyone was to give Gundam a try, just for a short series, and was not a real huge Mecha fan, they might just like it. It has mecha in it, and when the fights happen they are great, but they are few and far, and the story id much more engrossing)

True, it's really about the characters, not the action. It's a shame more people haven't seen it.

WOW! im in the middle towards episode 4, it i LOVE it already!!! Are all the gundams like this, this is my first time seeing anything gundam related! Does any of the other gundams have bernie in them?? hahaha i might get into this hahaha! THANK YOU for making it one of the choices, i probably wouldnt have watched it without this event! so THANKS hahahaha!

**no worries, i know what happens, my friend is a big mouth haha**

WOW! im in the middle towards episode 4, it i LOVE it already!!! Are all the gundams like this, this is my first time seeing anything gundam related! Does any of the other gundams have bernie in them?? hahaha i might get into this hahaha! THANK YOU for making it one of the choices, i probably wouldnt have watched it without this event! so THANKS hahahaha!

**no worries, i know what happens, my friend is a big mouth haha**

I have some good and bad news.
Yes there are other good gundams that are short and have some great human involvement.
Personally, I would suggest Stardust 0083, F91 or Gundam 08th MS team, if you like them short. (Stardust 0083 might be a bit harder to follow without the series)
Or Mobile Suit Gundam, and then Gundam Zeta if you don't mind them long.

Sadly you are not going to find these characters in the later installments of Gundam.

Mobile suit gundam 0080, has a very good story, and if you are looking for only mecha fight then this might not be your cup of tea.

what I really like about this The Univercal century gundams ( 0079 , 0079 08th ms team, 0080 0083, gundam z , gundam zz, chars counterattack, gundam F91)
is that there really aint no black and white , good and badguys , watch it and you will understand.

Another very good gundam is Mobile Suit Gundam 0079: The 08th MS team.
very good story and interesting characters also the animation is very good, specially for the 90's , I even watched the recap movie ^^(well its not really a recap but whatever)

Episode 1:

Very character-driven setup, more scene setting than anything, and we'll obviously be experiencing the adventure through the eyes of an 11-year old boy. My guess is he'll never actually ride any of the Gundams (child Gundam pilots ordinarily 14 years old or thereabouts), so I'm wondering how they'll make an adult like me give a damn about an ordinary precocious child who will never set foot in a giant robot.

At the moment I'm just going along with it. Because there is nothing yet to really sway my judgement one way or another. I like the animation, though. It's very clear and quite detailed, and you don't see those kinds of character designs anymore.

Episode 2:

Haha. This precocious little boy is turning out to be quite wittily scripted. He's so cunning and fun.
That part where he pretends he's Blonde Guy's little brother to put the police off the scent... made me chuckle. Question is, though, are the Zeon guys good or bad?

Episode 4:

Wow, it just struck me
Al is helping Bernie out with a lot of things, despite the fact that Bernie is from the enemy's side. Holy Jesus. Only an 11-year old could not realise the military and political mess he's got himself into. I mean, to him, it's just making friends with a really nice soldier who rides a cool robot. >_< Even when his friends tell him Bernie's of the enemy, he still continues to help out.

Last edited:
Episode 5:

Oh wow! Some excellent character development there! The military stuff and the action are so much background detail that they really dont' excite. However, just the buildup of the relationship between Bernie and Al is touching. Especially when
Al said 'I love you, Bernie.' *sniff*

A Gundam with a very different flavour to what I'm used to from this franchise.

Episode 6: END

WOW. What an emotionally packed ending!
I mean, I half suspected Bernie might die, but the manner of his death was truly thrilling, and choreographed in such a way that it was quite unexpected. The irony of him fighting Chris was also wonderful addition to the emotional layers (by the way: FEMALE ACE GUNDAM PILOT!!! Whoop!)

How funny was that last line by Al's friend, though? 'Don't cry, another war will start soon and it'll be bigger and flashier than the last one!' Hahaha!

This was a very, very good drama, and something I didn't expect at all. Somewhat slow in places because of all the intricate characterisation, and generally not too good for marathoning like a more action-oriented Gundam might be, but I'm already starting to see why people harp on about the old Gundam shows. The newer series have been incredibly shallow in comparison. I hope I get to see 08th one day as well.

Last edited:
I also couldnt figure out if they were "good or bad" but i really liked Bernie! so i guess i go for the bad gus?? hahaha the last episode was one sad show for me ='(

Episode 5:

This was a very, very good drama, and something I didn't expect at all. Somewhat slow in places because of all the intricate characterisation, and generally not too good for marathoning like a more action-oriented Gundam might be, but I'm already starting to see why people harp on about the old Gundam shows. The newer series have been incredibly shallow in comparison. I hope I get to see 08th one day as well.

You... haven't seen 08th yet?... Watch it NOA!!!

Episode 5:

Oh wow! Some excellent character development there! The military stuff and the action are so much background detail that they really dont' excite. However, just the buildup of the relationship between Bernie and Al is touching. Especially when
Al said 'I love you, Bernie.' *sniff*

A Gundam with a very different flavour to what I'm used to from this franchise.

Episode 6: END

WOW. What an emotionally packed ending!
I mean, I half suspected Bernie might die, but the manner of his death was truly thrilling, and choreographed in such a way that it was quite unexpected. The irony of him fighting Chris was also wonderful addition to the emotional layers (by the way: FEMALE ACE GUNDAM PILOT!!! Whoop!)

How funny was that last line by Al's friend, though? 'Don't cry, another war will start soon and it'll be bigger and flashier than the last one!' Hahaha!

Quite possibly the best Drama of the Gundam Franchise. It might actually be the least action filled per capita.

That boy sure learns a lot about the ugly side of war. Something that I believe is a nail driven home. For some when your a boy who has not been through it, the thought of a war is exciting .
At this point in time Zeon has more grand ambitions. I would not call them bad per say, But they remind me of an up and coming Germany in WWI. This is not to say that the Feddies are not as bad or even worse. Think about it, they are
developing Gundam's on colonies that are supposed to be peaceful. Lusitania anyone?
Anyhow did you like the Gundam pilot Vivis ;)
yes very Ironic, and super sad if you think about it. You are responsible for killing your possible love
You... haven't seen 08th yet?... Watch it NOA!!!

Going to have to agree with this one.

I really want to watch 08th. Cannot get hold of it anywhere, though. ;_; It's the one I've been most keen to watch out of all the Gundams.

I really want to watch 08th. Cannot get hold of it anywhere, though. ;_; It's the one I've been most keen to watch out of all the Gundams.

since ive been helping out on anime sites I can help you find it also, read the review on this site.

one more thing ,didnt I say this was good and a bit diffrent before your first post?...

almost all the gundams are diffrent but the ova's the most

since ive been helping out on anime sites I can help you find it also, read the review on this site.

one more thing ,didnt I say this was good and a bit diffrent before your first post?...

almost all the gundams are diffrent but the ova's the most
Cool man, help her out. :balloon:

lol well I would tend to say G-Gundam (maybe Turn-A) was the most different and it was a series. But by in large you are correct. The OAV's take more chances.

I am only wondering (seeing that I have not read the latest) if Gundam Unicorn will be an OAV/Movie/ or Series?
if it is a movie, too short,
if it is a series, it might fall victim to what ails any of the series that go over 25+ episodes; an undefined(or unrefined) plot.
but if it is an OAV, it will quite possibly be just about perfect.

Back