Steins;Gate - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Garyuu
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Steins;Gate

Steins;Gate

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

The webcast was today, but I'm personally waiting for when it airs on Tuesday. I thought Chaos;Head was alright. I'll give this one a chance.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Xennon

Default Re: Steins;Gate

O good god if this is anything like Chaos Head I shouldn't even waste my time watching it.

"I've found out in life that you can't live in the past... or the future, or the present." - Al Bundy
Xennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
LinkSword
POPEE BELIEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennon View Post
O good god if this is anything like Chaos Head I shouldn't even waste my time watching it.
Agreed. But I have confidence it will be much better.

For starters the director for this show is the same as Shigurui's, so I'm expecting a hell of an atmosphere, unlike the shit shown in C;H... As for plot development, characters, etc., we'll have to wait and see, but it's not hard to do better than C;H.
LinkSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Rastamepas

Send a message via AIM to Rastamepas Send a message via Skype™ to Rastamepas

Is C;H that bad? I haven't watched it, but was planning to sometime.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Rastamepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
LinkSword
POPEE BELIEVER

It is, at least for me. The characters are absolutely plain and were created directly from the ''stereotypical character'' molds and garnished with many cliché spices. The plot is a disaster. The main character is awful - some people say ''omg he's a NEET so he's cool 'coz he's a sucker that gets over it and improves and blah blah...''. The former is true, the latter is not. And after watching the perfect depiction of a NEET that is Tatsuhiro Sato can I even be expected to take this wretch seriously? I like my flawed characters, but he's done awfully, just like the rest of the cast.

The animation seems to be done with the remainders of other Madhouse projects' budgets, with lots of terrible still backgrounds and choppy fight scenes - overall it's not the worst thing ever but it sure isn't up to the studio's standards. As for the OST I don't even remember anything about it, and that's a bad sign. Well, I do remember that the opening song was quite catchy and the ending was ultra-cheesy.

There are people out there who liked C;H, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
azanimefan
Otaku

the first ep was damned near incomprehensible... i know there was a lot of hype surounding this anime, so i'll give it a fair chance... but at this point they managed to make a 22 minute ep feel like it was 122 minutes.

I was convinced the subber was trolling us, until my wife verified the nonsensical and bizarre first ep was subbed fairly well for a speed subber.

I'm not sure i'll be a fan of the main character... he's certifiably insane; and not in a funny way... but more in a weird and annoying way that sort of leaves me hoping he's not the actual main character for this series (take the little weirdo girl with him too) but really a mental patient under a heavy drug treatment program.

generally i like nuts and trippy... but this just was dull and incomprehensible.

I hope this gets better.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Xennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastamepas View Post
Is C;H that bad? I haven't watched it, but was planning to sometime.

You know how when you were a kid, and you were playing war with your friends, and your one friend "shot" you, but you claim he didn't, and it just turns into an argument of "no you didn't" and "yes I did", well that's what Chaos head reminded me of.

The first third was really good, because you didn't know where it was going. It seemed dark and brutal, the characters were all disturbed and screwed up, and then when they actually start explaining stuff, and the characters start to flesh out, it just turns into a complete pile of shit, like something a 7 year old wrote.

It was quite possibly the most disappointing and absolutely horrendous show I have ever watched. I am extremely easy to please, as long as the show provides any form of enjoyment, I'll watch it. It can be cliche, campy, unoriginal, but that doesn't bother me one bit, but Chaos Head...

"I've found out in life that you can't live in the past... or the future, or the present." - Al Bundy
Xennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
coffeebreath

Ew, terrible quality webcast.

Well, everything that I expected to happen in the first episode happened. Predictable choice of cliffhanger. This won't make sense for a while, if it revealed everything at once it would be boring. The manga flows much more easily after three chapters, but the pace of the anime feels a lot slower.

As for the characters, people need to remember this is set in Akihabara... it plays a lot on those stereotypes. Personally, none of them felt as superficial as they do in the manga so that's a plus. I don't expect characters to be a strong point here anyway, way too much range - you'll hate some, hopefully love one.

coffeebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
LinkSword
POPEE BELIEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreath View Post
I don't expect characters to be a strong point here anyway, way too much range - you'll hate some, hopefully love one.
So this is the kind of show with plenty of hateable characters (not because of being lame, but because of what they do)? In that case then I'm going to enjoy it.

I feel tempted to check the first episode, but I'll do myself a long-term favor and wait 'till it's complete.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
coffeebreath

No, the opposite. Sorry to dissapoint you

What I really mean is that the characters appear to tick too many boxes. Cute childhood friend, tsundere, trap, quiet-but-beautiful, neurotic big ego, super geek, cat girl maid, etc. They all have little quirks too, and when it comes to personality quirks in anime it tends to be totally love/hate. I could be way off the mark though... it's fairly obvious that from how popular moe blobs become that depth in characters is not really all that important to some people.

coffeebreath is offline   Reply With Quote