Armored Trooper Votoms - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Armored Trooper Votoms

Buddy group starts on this tomorrow! But anyone of the AP community is welcome to join in the discussions. :)

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
valondar
Otaku

Default Re: Armored Trooper Votoms

Episodes 1-2
Got to pity those guys with pink mecha (and the fashion sense of our post-apocalyptic punks in general). Really liking the series so far - the military's mixture of venal corruption and casually brutal torture is only matched by the civilian authority on Chirico's shattered homeworld. Overall a pretty cynical and grim take on the genre, and I don't mind that at all.

Falling asleep in the familiar womb of the mecha is a nice touch. Chirico doesn't seem to be a man with an identity beyond his mecha, moral compass, and an entirely vindicated distrust of authority. If seeing a naked woman (apparently some kind of military experiment - there's something I haven't seen before) is all he needs to go on the warpath against the establishment, then he may have simply been looking for the opportunity to do so.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
DunkyHarwood
Narumon Z

Episodes 1-2
Wow, those were some really intense episodes! This series really starts off with a bang. The music and pacing were just so good that I felt completely absorbed in their world. I think I'm in love. That was quite the beautiful scene when he fell asleep inside the mecha. This really puts me in the mood to watch more old school anime.

Last edited by DunkyHarwood; 02-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.
DunkyHarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
VivisQueen

OMG. I did not get time to watch it last night. Will be catching up today. Sounds like I have a treat ahead of me. :D

Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
sothis
Overlord

[insert obligatory VIVI PLEASE DO THE ENTRY begging text here XD]

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
VivisQueen

Episodes 1-4:

What a dark, grim, and fiercely cynical world! First betrayed, tortured, tossed aside, and then all that stuff with the Boone Family on a planet with red acid rain no less... Jesus. In light of that, I agree, him falling alseep in the womb of the mecha was rather delightful - it's the only moment when he seems a bit calm. Episode four feels rather truthful when it implies that the only thing Chirico is wholly at peace with nowadays is battling and killing.

Anyway, love the character designs, love the fiercely cynical world, and enamoured with the opening theme. In my head, I keep comparing this to Zeta Gundam - let's see how this show carves its own way through war and politics.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
DunkyHarwood
Narumon Z

Episodes 3-4
The themes do kind of remind me Zeta Gundam also, it feels like this one might be a struggle for survival or tragedy of war story at its core, both themes that are of great interest to me as a viewer.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
VivisQueen

Episode 5-6:

Quite incredible. Every event seems geared towards pulverising every last ounce of Chirico's humanity and trust. At the same time, I get this sense that the story is just sort of milling about until he gets a chance to meet with the mysterious woman again. Despite all the interesting encounters, I'm not getting a sense of direction with this one yet. We're only on episode six, so I'm not saying it's necessarily detrimental, but neither am I finding anything to hook me permanently.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
DunkyHarwood
Narumon Z

Episode 5-6
I felt exactly the same way actually. But to be honest I'm not too worried about the direction this one is headed in because after reading a few reviews I have come to learn that there are four main story arcs, and I have a feeling that they will reveal the mysterious woman's identity in a timely fashion (or at least I hope they do anyways).
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
VivisQueen

Oh! Four, eh? A bit like LOTGH.

I'll just use this space to talk a tiny bit about Chirico. At first I was concerned that he was entirely too humourless, you know, never talking unless it was to grind some banal response through his teeth, dead-pan eyes, stoic in the extreme.

But then I started considering his narration - as a narrator he doesn't have that same dead tone of suppressed trauma. He sounds reconciled (with himself?) more than anything and as if he's had time to mull over what it all means. And then there's the fact that, despite all the shit that's happened, he actually does seem to care about what happened when his team turned on him.
He's still got a purpose for himself even if he's seemingly churning with mistrust and cynicism.

I'm actually quite impressed with his characterisation at the moment. I briefly considered how I was feeling at this stage with Zeta, and Votom's characters seem mentally more balanced, which makes them more convincing from the onset. Is anyone else wondering whether this show might actually have a slightly more mature target audience than Zeta's?