Grenadier

Weak, 5 out of 10 for this one. Well I'm a bit bias, coming off Madlax, this one doesn't seem all that good. It also doesn't have the support of a great soundtrack like Madlax had. Nothing really interesting happens in the first episode, the gunfight is not the best I've seen. Well, it's not the same genre as Madlax anyway. It only has a girl with guns as the lead, nothing more. The sound effects suck, the guns in Grenadier sound like toy guns.

So coming off high quality,
madlax04.jpg

going to average quality,
Grenadier04.jpg

equals me being bias and Grenadier getting 5 out of 10 for ep 01. But hey, watch it and tell me what you think.

Heh, isnt this show by different studios? I could be wrong there. I agree that Madlax had much better animation, but does that have any relevance to this show? =P Speaking of that I need to finish watching madlax....

Well, Gunsmith Cats is a 'girls-with-guns' anime too, and that's in no way comparable to Madlax or Noir. It's unfair to compare it to Madlax simply because the lead happens to be a girl with a gun - the target audiences are probably very different and the shows have (otherwise) very little in common.

I still have yet to see anything of Madlax, so I'm going to stay away from the Madlax-Grenadier comparisons for now......

Episode 1:

......but come on, she was freaking hurling her ammo out of her breast clothing :!!: ! And all the bullets miraculously landed in the revolver slots while she was moving and dodging at high speed :!!: ! And the "hip action" in the first scene where she shot her gun was just A LITTLE BIT over the top :!!: ! And this is the only series that I have seen that specifically focuses on hot springs :!!: (at least the only one I have seen that I can remember)![/spoiler:645249cb05]

I didn't find the character designs particularly attractive, the BGMs were virtually unnoticeable, the idea of "Love and Peace!" over fighting was used in Trigun already (to a very literal extent), the opening and ending themes had me quickly fast-forwarding through them, and the pace of the episode didn't really catch me. The humor (whatever little there was) was pretty bland too.[spoiler:645249cb05]The whole guns versus katana thing was used in Rurouni Kenshin already, so it doesn't have any effect on me when used so blandly like this.

The one good point of this show is definitely the voice acting; I give that a 9/10. As for the show itself, 3/10. I've seen worse, but not for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said:

myself said:
Well, it's not the same genre as Madlax anyway. It only has a girl with guns as the lead, nothing more.

Girls with guns tend to have a good strong personality. They tend to be very confident or just cold-blooded when they need to do their job. For example: Madlax, Noir, Gunslinger Girls, Gits, Chrno Crusade, Bakuretsu Tenshi, Iria, Triangle Heart, Milly & Meryl for Trigun, Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Cagalli from Gudam Seed, Forte from Galaxy Angels, Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo, the girls in Tenchi GXP, Opera from Star Ocean, Milly from Lost Universe, that Fox in Hyper Police, should I go on? (Jeah I have a thing for girls with guns =P )
Greandiers lead has no blood in her brain, it's in her boobs.
Oh please, she is just something to lust over and that is not what a girl with guns stands for. Girls with guns are not weak, meek or stupid and they don't use fan service tactics to load their guns. You can not have a Belldandy with guns, it just doesn't work.

seeing as nobody has said anything good about it first i'll make a short note.

Compared to Rossette.
- Bigger boobs (plus)
- Better skill (plus)
- Positive attitude (plus)
- Deadly when serious (mega-plus)
- Not afraid to get nekkid (super-plus)
- Uses her body well (winner~)

frankly, i don't really compare to other anime, because it's best to take anime for what it is, not what it's supposedly trying to be, but Chrono Chrusade was the first thing that came to my mind when i watched this. The music is great (Mikuni Shimokawa <3<3<3), i'm yet to find out who did the BGM, but its absolutely fantastic, NOT unnoticeable like shinji said.

The hip action is a FIRST, the bullets-from-her-breasts is ALSO a FIRST. and i'm VERY impressed by it. if a show is gonna be fan-servicey, this show is, and is doing it RIGHT. i found nothing excessive or over-the-top. and just because Rushuna likes hot-springs, doesn't mean the show focuses on it. there was only ONE onsen~ scene.

the character designs are not new, but very nice, the BGM is spectacular, the op/ed is awesome (i'd know, im an audio freak), the whole 'love and peace' ordeal maybe used before, but its NOT old.

particularly when she said she'd go "unarmored", and when she'd offer her smile instead

Just how is that like trigun?

the humor isnt much, but it isnt bland either, it first took me by surprise cos i thought it would be more of a serious show, but the little entertainment i saw was well worth it.

sigh.. i wanted to make it short, but i ended up writing too much. this is probably another title i'm gonna add to my growing collection, i'll probably sit it right beside chrono ^_^.

i definitely look forward to more eps, and a licensing announcement.

I never said the smile thing was like Trigun; I said the "Love and Peace" over fighting idea was like Trigun (which is basically what her ideal is). Also, how could you tell that Mikuni Shimokawa was in the music? I love her music, and I couldn't hear her voice in there. Also, no matter how you look at it, Grenadier is intended to bring in viewers through pure fan service. I don't mind that whatsoever, unless it is heavily, ridiculously, and needlessly blended in with the action (which it was!). She could have just as easily used that multi-bullet reloader thing that Vash and Knives used for their revolvers in Trigun. Like tardo said in all his examples, a majority of the first episode is laced with fan service, and it doesn't look like that's going to change with the second episode, 3rd episode, or any episode for that matter. And the reason the BGMs were unnoticeable was because they were too quiet. When you have a gunslinging action flick like this, you're supposed to make the BGM track loud and fast-paced.

I'm gonna watch the first couple episodes too before I throw out this series. It wouldn't be a first that I've hated the first couple episodes, but totally changed my opinion of the whole series with the middle or later episodes. A plus is that Witts Su's voice actor from Gundam X is in this show as "Yatchan" (I think it's his voice actor, anyway).

You're right about the voice actor, Kazuya Nakai voices Yajirou, also voices Witts Su in Gundam and also voices the more popular Zoro in One Piece.

And Mikuni Shimokawa DOES do both the op/ed. check the credits, or click here. I'm still unsure who composed the BGM, but i will find out.

How can you sigh about the boobie reload!? It's so impressive! How she trained or even thought to do that... I'd like to know. Her boobies are magical. O_O;; :cow: omfg. You can NEVER go wrong with a cow emoticon. I <3 this forum.

Anybody not liking that boob reload must be a fool......I can't find an emoticon to accuretly describe it's awesomness!

.....and then there are some of us who like a smidgen of reality in reloading your gun......

Cause the rest of the show is SOOOOO realistic... :cow: They already went overboard with the HUGETASTIC boobies, why not have 'em reload her gun too? Ehhhhh? :cow: boobies.

You know these shows are so great, that's why everybody forgets them a soon as they see the last ep. I wonder why they stopped subbing Daphne of the deep blue, a fan service show that uses girls with guns. I was told that it would be sooooo great.
Not.....
Then again there are shows like Kiddy Grade that have more then just fan service going for them.

I don't really like this show because:
myself said:
You can not have a Belldandy with guns, it just doesn't work.

Oh well, they might make it work. I'll just have to wait and see, I give them 3 more eps.

Back