Kannazuki no Miko - Page 2 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 AM   #11
dreadful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaisha
On a serious note the ending and series as a whole may have meant more to me if they'd done something more with the priestesses. By the time i got to episode 12 i hated both of them with a passion and was hoping

was going to kill them. That poor guy was the only semi-interesting character in the whole show and he got the shaft lol. The ending itself was well thought out but as bad as the main characters were it did absolutely nothing for me.
ep 01 should have been a clue in,
Old 12-22-2004, 06:14 AM   #12
Lucky

Indeed this is one of those "love it or hate it" shows. Personally I enjoyed it a great deal, mainly because I liked the whole unrequited love and sacrifice plot devices. And characters may be "annoying", but only for those that separate "characters" from "plot". When put together, characters fit the plotline seamlessly, and the ending - it was probably the first time I've seen someone pull
spoiler episode 12 and evangelion
Old 12-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #13
Mentar
Narumon Z

dreadful and Lucky, you can't be serious ;) ... Eva had no ending, only (censored). Kannamiko did, with a full conclusion.

I agree with you however that it's a clear love-it-or-hate-it show. I'm also leaning more to the "love" side. The whole mecha shebang fell totally flat, and the main plot construction had a few logical holes, but alas. Its strong part were the characters and the romance part - it certainly featured the best confession scenes I had the pleasure of witnessing in animes yet.

I respectfully disagree with Hakaisha. Souma was so much of a knight in shining armor, full of righteous purity, that it was painful to watch. This guy was totally one-dimensional with no character development whatsoever. He was so good and likable that I soon couldn't stand him anymore ^_^ ... boring to the extreme. More of a plot device than a character.

The real proponent of the anime was Chikane, of course. Very complex personality with lots of inner quarrels going on. I found especially her inner conflict intriguing that by trying to fulfil Himeko's wishes even when they went against her own interests she was gradually losing her - and what she ultimately decided to do.

In hindsight, this anime offered a shameful strikeout (mecha), a single (story) and a grand-slam homerun (confessions). Way enough for a passing grade in my book ^_^
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #14
dreadful

I am series, though not in terms of whether it reached the conclusion but in the way it was presented ("philosophy" on what happened) and why, when and what if's/alternate reality, and some mind****ing as well.

With final ep being out, thread moved.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #15
MechaTama31
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to MechaTama31 Send a message via MSN to MechaTama31 Send a message via Yahoo to MechaTama31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
And characters may be "annoying", but only for those that separate "characters" from "plot". When put together, characters fit the plotline seamlessly
Fitting the plot or not, annoying is annoying. =p
Old 12-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #16
Lucky

Only if you're picky. In reality, if the characters are "uber-cool" but don't fit the plot, they are worthless. And if they are "annoying" but fit the plot perfectly, it's just a part of the excellence of the design. Imo of course =p
Old 12-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #17
Hakaisha

By semi interesting i meant that he was the only character with a background. I don't feel like typing out a big long spoiler but i'm pretty sure you know what i mean. Chikane and Himeko had 30 seconds of background and that was at the very end and by then i quite honestly didn't care. To each their own.

As for seperating plot and characters i don't see how you can't. The best example i can think of is from one of my top 3 shows of all time, Juuni Kokki. The plot of that show was epic, bar none the best plot of any anime i've ever seen. As good as the plot was they did an equally good job carefully crafting each character so that they were more than just plot pushers. From start to stop there are no characters in Juuni Kokki who were irrelevant all of them were integral to the story and all had a story of their own. Chikane and Himeko could definitely been written alot better than angsty confused girl and whiney crying girl which is what they were lol. Yes the plot surrounding them may or may not have been interesting but they imo weren't.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #18
Lucky

Well, if you want to go that way, then 12kingdoms main character was "confused and angsty" at first and "whiney (alhough not crying) girl" later. However the plot and the characters were seamlessly woven together, so everyone loved it.

And in the end, it's all about personal preference. If you dislike their personalities, that's just fine. I happened to like them, as they fit the plot seamelessly imo. And as mentar said, a near-perfect confession scene - and I truly don't see that happening with "cool" characters.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #19
sothis
Overlord

thanks to lucky, this is now in the database ^_^

http://www.anime-planet.com/animerec/773.html

please go make some recs for it :D
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:17 AM   #20
Mentar
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaisha
By semi interesting i meant that he was the only character with a background. I don't feel like typing out a big long spoiler but i'm pretty sure you know what i mean.
To be honest - no, I don't. Souma got exactly the same "minimal" introduction which Himeko and Chikane got. There was no difference in background I could perceive.

Two issues made him feel shallow and boring to me: First, that he had no real faults or weaknesses. He was a nice guy all around, ever loyal and faithful, never wavering. Really good characters define themselves over their _flaws_, not strengths. Here he was painfully nondescript. But the biggest problem I had was that he never faced any real dilemmas. "I'll stand by Himeko and protect her come hell or high water" was answer for every single situation he encountered. No character development, no conflicting interests, emotions or goals - nothing. He stayed the same throughout the entire anime. Great guy, and great bore. IMHO.

Quote:
Chikane and Himeko had 30 seconds of background and that was at the very end and by then i quite honestly didn't care. To each their own.
Yep. But that's only the background. What I'm referring to is the development things took from there. KannaMiko was really great there.

Take for example Chikane, one of the most complex and intriguing anime characters ever IMHO. In the brilliant episode 6,

I can understand if this is something you may dislike, but "boring"? I don't think so.

Quote:
As for seperating plot and characters i don't see how you can't. The best example i can think of is from one of my top 3 shows of all time, Juuni Kokki.
You're comparing a 40+ episode epic with a 12-episode half-season anime here, you're aware of that, right? Not very fair, wouldn't you agree? :)

Quote:
Chikane and Himeko could definitely been written alot better than angsty confused girl and whiney crying girl which is what they were lol. Yes the plot surrounding them may or may not have been interesting but they imo weren't.
I found Chikane way more interesting and complex than Youko in the first arc up to ep13. WAY more interesting. Youko gained more depth in the upcoming episodes, no doubt - but we're talking 12 eps here.

But well, to each his own.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote