7. URL Slug
8. Hair Color
9. Main/Secondary/Minor Relations for Anime/Manga
10. Main Anime and Main Manga
11. Tags
12. Descriptions

Getting Started
---------------------------------------------------
You can update a character by visiting his or her page, and then clicking the 'edit char' link underneath the left image. We do not add characters for unaired titles - the anime needs to have started, so we can confirm the character exists in the anime, etc.

You can add a new character by visiting the admin character input page.

When you submit the form, a thread is created in this forum for moderators to look at. Unless the moderators can personally confirm submissions, they will possibly need confirmation from the community. Thus, if you have time and can browse these threads and chime in with agreeance or disagreeance, it would be helpful and would make things move quicker.

Become a Moderator
Demonstrate your candidacy by submitting info for a bunch of characters in the format below, and we'll be happy to bring you on board to help! ^_^

Voice Actors
Don't worry about including these when you submit characters because character moderators will fill these in as they add the characters. However, if you come across a character already in the system with a missing voice actor, please make a post about it here while linking both the character page and the voice actor on Anime News Network. If the character doesn't speak (has a nonspeaking role), you should make a post about it in the same thread.

Minor Characters
If you’re adding an extremely minor character to an anime or manga who gets like a single appearance, please state in the comments section the episode and minute mark or chapter count that the character appears in.

Names
*The first name you input is the 'Main' name - use the most well-known name for this one

*If the anime is on Crunchyroll, match the names to their translation

*'First' and 'Last' are based on the western definitions

*Disregard 'Last is First' - do not check it

*Capitalize the names as you would normally type it (do not fully capitalize the last name, even though it will look like it is when editing an entry)

*Only fill in the 'last' field if there is a traditional last name (for example, Smith, Yamazaki, etc). Otherwise, put everything in the First field (for example, Doctor John, Death The Kid).

*If there is a middle name, put everything except the last name in the First field.

*Names with 'Mr' or 'Mrs' at the front should also have a period. For example, 'Mr. Smith', not 'Mr Smith'

*Suffixes (san, kun, etc) should be avoided unless it is the ONLY name the character is known by, for visible names (ie, anything except 'searchable'). Otherwise, add as a searchable name only. Suffixes should be attached with a dash - , such as 'Sara-kun', not 'Sara kun'

NAME TYPES:

*Nickname - Only use if there is a very commonly known nickname IN THE ANIME OR MANGA (not a fan-given nickname) - most characters will not have one.

*Searchable - if there's a fan-given nickname that is well known or a name variation, use searchable. For example, if the name used is 'tomou' but some translations refer to the person as 'tomo', you'd use 'tomo' as the searchable name.

*USA Name - use only if there is a difference in name for the US R1 name. For example, Ash Ketchum for Pokemon would be a USA Name

*JP Name - you'll use this the majority of the time (if not always), and most of the time you'll only use it. It's tough to say how to be consistent with spellings. ANN, for example, tends to always use names like 'Tomo' instead of 'Tomou' (using 'o' instead of 'ou'), while the majority of other sites tend to use the longer form. As a vague rule, try to use what is the most common.

*Images are not required - don't worry about adding them unless you have the extra time and want to hunt them down. But if you're interested, here's our guidelines-

URL Slug
To create a url slug, take the person's MAIN first and last name, change them to lowercase, and add a dash in between each word.

If you get an error that the URL slug is already taken (which means another character in the database already has that URL slug), add the exact URL slug for the main anime or manga (see below for what the main anime/manga are) right after the character's URL slug. Do not truncate or abbreviate the anime/manga url slug.

Examples:

Naruto Uzumaki = naruto-uzumaki
John Smith = john-smith
John Smith (another one, in a different anime whose url is /anime/naruto-the-movie-1) = john-smith-naruto-the-movie-1

Hair Color
*Select the main color from the dropdown.

*For now, light/dark will just be the main color (ie there is no distinction between light or dark brown).

*When in doubt, DON'T MARK HAIR COLOR.

*Unless a manga character has a color shot on a volume cover or an insert, do not mark hair color. If the color is mentioned in the manga, it can be added.

*For animals, if they are a solid color of fur, use that for hair color.

*Only mark 'bald' for characters who are human (or very human-like). Do not use this for monster characters or obvious non-humans who don't have hair in the first place.

*If a character is totally bald, do NOT try to base hair color on eyebrows or facial hair. Instead, mark the hair color as 'None'.

Anime/Manga
These are autocomplete fields that you must use to link this character to anime and manga entries. There is a dropdown for the type - main, secondary, minor. This is a REQUIRED part of the form that MUST be filled out. Failure to mark a character as a Main, Secondary or Minor in your submission will result in its denial.

Only add relations for something you have PERSONALLY seen or read. Do not assume that just because you've watched the anime, that the relation is probably the same for the manga. Likewise, do not use external resources to 'confirm' this kind of information, it needs to be based on your personal viewing/reading.

'Main Anime' and 'Main Manga'
-----------------------------------------
Only mark these fields if the character has an anime or manga relation filled in. For example, if you were adding a character to an anime, after clicking on "Add New Anime..." and filling out the Main/Secondary/Minor info, underneath is a "Main Anime:" textbox which you need to complete as well. If left blank, when the submission generates a thread in the Character Submissions forum, the thread title will only list the character's name and not what anime/manga the character is from - this could delay the moderating process or result in the submission's rejection altogether. It's generally the series the character debuts in.

Tags
Only use tags that are major elements of the character. You can see a full list of character tags and how to use them HERE. If you have a suggestion for a different tag, put it into the Comments area of the form.

Description
We are currently NOT accepting descriptions at this time. If you write one, be aware it will be denied.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!

Last edited by Zaig; 12-08-2014 at 11:55 AM.
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
unitzero
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Re: How to Add or Edit Characters

^ this is awesome sothis. This is exactly what I was looking for the other day but couldn't find. One question though.....

Character types: Main, Secondary, Minor
how exactly are these defined? Are we using another site to help figure this out, or is it up to the mods common sense? For example take a look at the freaking Bleach character section on our site. I would argue that some of the "main" characters listed there are in fact secondary like Byakuya Kuchiki and some of the minor characters are secondary like Ichigo's youngest sister.

Not trying to cause problems, I just want to do things correctly myself.

unitzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
ThePatches
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to ThePatches Send a message via MSN to ThePatches Send a message via Skype™ to ThePatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerriggs View Post
^ this is awesome sothis. This is exactly what I was looking for the other day but couldn't find. One question though.....

Character types: Main, Secondary, Minor
how exactly are these defined? Are we using another site to help figure this out, or is it up to the mods common sense? For example take a look at the freaking Bleach character section on our site. I would argue that some of the "main" characters listed there are in fact secondary like Byakuya Kuchiki and some of the minor characters are secondary like Ichigo's youngest sister.

Not trying to cause problems, I just want to do things correctly myself.
There is some debate. For the most part, we don't touch other people's ratings because the issue hasn't been decided, but here's what I think:

Main - The anime is ABOUT you. You're not just important to the plot, you are the point of view for the show.

Secondary - You're either plot important, or you show up a lot. Either way, you're integral to the show's character.

Minor - You're there for color. You might be plot important for the few seconds you were on screen, but you were only on screen for a few seconds. NOTE: If the character hardly appears in the show, regardless of how much of a lynchpin you are to the plot, you are a minor character (unless, of course, you are the main villain).

TACO? Don't mind if I do.
ThePatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
sothis
Overlord

added a note about 'bald' hair usage (namely, it should only be used for humans/or human-like characters who have/had hair)

Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
vernanonix
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

A question about pictures, real quick. If they character also appears in video games, can you also use art from those games (not in-game art but like cover or promotional art) if they look to be in the same anime style? (Just as a for instance, like the Tales of Symphonia characters.)

Pokemon X Info:
vernanonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
alexander
Otaku

Why the hell did these posts disappear from this thread? And what about the question I had in there?
alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
sothis
Overlord

what exactly is the point in leaving up posts saying 'here's the backup' and 'thanks a lot' when i already rewrote the first post? a compelling reason would be appreciated, since apparently you consider it a really big deal. (ill be deleting these tangential posts too once the convo is done)

regardless, i missed your question.

feel free to submit a better image. the current image guidelines are listed in full, in the first post.

vernanonix: screenshots are #1 desired - video game art should be avoided.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
alexander
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
a compelling reason would be appreciated, since apparently you consider it a really big deal.
I know I'm talking to a wall, so I'll keep it brief: regardless how trivial, one does not silently change history.

Quote:
the current image guidelines are listed in full, in the first post.
My point was that they should extended:

Please keep submissions representative of the character. No costumes or hairstyles that only occur in episode six of season two.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
alexander
Otaku

For some reason this sub-forum prevents editing, so I can't do an explicit change to add the missing "be" ^^
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
sothis
Overlord

ive updated the image guidelines. and since you want explicit warnings that posts that are no longer needed for the thread will be deleted, here's your few hour notice.