Irresponsible Captain Taylor - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Funkgun

Default Irresponsible Captain Taylor

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

A space war comedy.

Could not find a Discussion Thread, only a Review one. In fact I accidentaly posted there.

So here we go on discussion.

Jez, this is an old abandoned thread.

Anyhow, I am currently watching this old-school title (old school is hard to imagine but it is indeed over 15 years old)

Episode 1
First off it is quite good animation for it's day. At first I had to look at the old box I had to make sure this was not the Tylor OAV's.
It is almost on par with a early 90's oav. Flat in spots, but movement is crisp enough, and the silly putty face of tylor is probably a blast to draw.

In the first episode we are greeted to Tylor, after a rousing (and lame) opening. It was the first anime I ever saw that had live action mixed in with the opening (mind you this is 94' or 95'.
I will admit the first episode is a bit of a dud. Not a whole lot to it. Tylor joins the space force of the UPSf basically on a whim due to a broadcast commercial to join the space force.
We are also presented both sides of the war
Tylor and Betty in the virtual amplitude test was dumb, and not that funny... but you already see how much destruction Tylor causes. It is amazing that the show ended up doing so good after such a weak first episode, BUT then we have a wee bit better episode in the next one.
Episode 2
Terrorists/kidnappers of some peace organization take over the home of a retired bed ridden former admiral of the uSPF. Our boy Tylor (who now works at the pension dept) decides to deliver the former admiral his pension check, right in the middle of the hostage situation. We are introduced to the admirals twin Grand daughters (i think they were Grandaughters) and also a female Lt. who is also helping out with the admiral.

Did I mention this was a parody of sorts for space/war/ and even mecha titles?
Episode3
Finally gets on track.
It has some elements that will make you somewhat chuckle. and the story finally gets going. As Tylor gets command

As I watch this, I realize I enjoyed this title back in the day because the main character is so likeable, yet lucky as hell. He almost reminds me of Vash from Trigun. What do you think?

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 06-11-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added header.
Funkgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Irresponsible Captain Taylor

im enjoying it so far. music is good, great in spots. everything seems high quality. it has rare spots of seriousness which is nice, personally i like when shows can switch between good drama and comedy. so far is mostly just comedy, or goofy might be a better word. i ll write more later, i just woke up.

"I feel like a two year old playing a fiendishly clever computer game against god" ~ Patlabor

greatapepress.com
evan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Funkgun

First off, thanks RockenRoll4life =) thread looks much more refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1979 View Post
im enjoying it so far. music is good, great in spots. everything seems high quality. it has rare spots of seriousness which is nice, personally i like when shows can switch between good drama and comedy. so far is mostly just comedy, or goofy might be a better word. i ll write more later, i just woke up.

lol, I must admit it is one of those mostly comedy shows, but it does have it's moments.
I just got home after watching the Finals game tonight.
So I am a bit behind but plan on catching the 3 episodes now that I am back.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

i liked episode one btw, i found something amusing about the emotionless computer finding feelings.

eps 5- my favorite episode so far, the nurse is introduced and the plot thickens. i think im acclimating to the tone of the show now too, the complete lack of consequences to bad leadership is no longer getting under my skin. i can now fully enjoy the show :)

im also diggin the marines on board, gotta love the 80s style punk!

"I feel like a two year old playing a fiendishly clever computer game against god" ~ Patlabor

greatapepress.com
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Funkgun

Dude! the 80's are back in fassion!

well at least in this anime. Funny how it is from the early 90's but the fassion sense was more mid 80's. Ahhh Japan.

I liked episode 4 with the surrender.

Wow! that nurse is a well drawn woman ;)

Anyhow, last 3 are better episodes.

Tylor is LUPIN! I never correlated it to him yet. Well, actions wise. Lupin was never a dunce. However he did always have that wiry smile on his face, and loved the ladies.

I love the end credits with Tylor drift walking with what looks to be a Martini in his hand.
It says so much in one pose.

I will see the next three in a bit.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

12345 downtown dance!

more great episodes. i particularly like 8 and 9. the animation for the fight in episode 8 between the spy and tylor was really well animated even in comparison to the rest of the show.
im kinda intrigues where this is all going, the show almost seems pointless at times but then they add some serious character moment. either way the strange comedy is growing on me.. . or maybe its the characters.

on to episode 11

greatapepress.com
Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Funkgun

Quote:
12345 downtown dance!

more great episodes. i particularly like 8 and 9. the animation for the fight in episode 8 between the spy and tylor was really well animated even in comparison to the rest of the show.
im kinda intrigues where this is all going, the show almost seems pointless at times but then they add some serious character moment. either way the strange comedy is growing on me.. . or maybe its the characters.

on to episode 11
I was going to say the same thing. I had to stop and rewind a couple times to see all the junk in his room going everywhere. The movement in the action was amazing.

Actually I sorta dug the episode where they are
you know, I never could put my finger on why this series was so fun. And watching it now, it probably is the odd cast of characters.
Some of them compete parodies of pop culture. I love the guy with the hockey mask and the chainsaw. And his name? Jason of course ;)

I am also enamored by the twins. In fact I am impressed at the dual voice for both of them, that sounds just a tad different for both character.

There is also so many references to the Japanese navy during WW2.
Don't cha like the normal Japanese flag, but it now has a stem making it a tomato?

Anyhow I am up to ep 11 as well. Fell a little behind. I may have messed up my VHS. So I just went ahead an bought the DVD set that just came out.
It rocks. has a pretty good dub too.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

i smile everytime i see the tomato flag. the cast of characters are great, my only complaint really is tylor, he is annoying at times. hopefully they do a little more with his character.
im a little behind too, episode 17 or so.

anime with a good dub? thats a rare find. the only ones i have cared for are some of the older dubs from the early nineties.

greatapepress.com
Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Funkgun

Quote:
i smile everytime i see the tomato flag. the cast of characters are great, my only complaint really is tylor, he is annoying at times. hopefully they do a little more with his character.
im a little behind too, episode 17 or so.

anime with a good dub? thats a rare find. the only ones i have cared for are some of the older dubs from the early nineties.
Well, it is an old dub as far as I can see. And it is not bad

I watch about half dubbed, half subbed, just to get a feel of it.

I hear you on Tylor. In fact, what he is is the catalyst to the story. His dynamic will not change much. Notice how we get very little in the way of his own personal introspection? Yet we here what almost everyone else thinks.

Personality of other characters manifest from what they do in response to Tylor's actions. the assassin Android
the cat fight betweeen the two oficer gals

Anyhow your a lot farther than me. I am just finishing episode 14. they are finally out of that D-sector.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Funkgun

I am up to 17 tonight. There is ONE indication so far, that the captain might be more than just lucky

I think I realize why the eyes are so familiar to me outside of this show.
I originally thought it may have been the guy who penned Tenchi, and Elhazzard, but I knew that was not the case.

The person who adapted Ranma to TV from the manga, must have been the one to create the Tylor characters. Either that, or they are just very similar.