Shigurui - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
lagore
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Shigurui

Shigurui

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Okay, so... I just watched this and I have no clue what just happened. It had some good points and some bad points but mainly I'm just confused:

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 04-20-2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link in header.
lagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
valondar
Otaku

Default Re: Shigurui

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagore View Post
It is.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
lagore

GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

Why do they do that!? Why not just wait to make an anime? Guh!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
valondar
Otaku

One could say the same of Berserk or Claymore and so on and on. It's an all too frequent flaw, frankly.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
OverLord01

Yep totally agree on what happened about the show, it is good but short. The same for Berserk which happened to it.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Lyzl
Experienced Anime Fan

Sad to know it's ending is a flop.

However, after just finished episode 3, I think it'll still probably get a high mark from me. It's not really... pleasurable to watch, but it's just so intense and visceral that it's feels like a worthwhile watch. I feel like I can't peel my eyes away.

http://www.AniviewReviews.com
Lyzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
valondar
Otaku

The ending isn't that bad. As I opined in my review it does tie up some thematic threads. It's that pesky plot it doesn't quite shut down. -_-

As far as the watching experience goes, the phrase that stuck in my mind after watching it was that it was, uh, worthwhile to endure. 'Enjoy' is not exactly a word I'd use to describe Shigurui, though it is a completely unforgettable anime and a stylistic marvel.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
lagore

Naw, it's... it's a pretty bad series. In my opinion. Good style, but very slow, and... I dunno...

It rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
valondar
Otaku

Shigurui is definitely one of those love or loathe it affairs (heavy emphasis on both love and loathe, i'faith). I've seen it described as one of the best anime ever made if not the best, and, well, also as one of the worst. It's just not a title that leaves people feeling neutrally.

I come down somewhere on the 'yes, good, even great at what it sets out to do, but not amazing' line. And yeah, if you want a heavily pretentious and humourless satire of the samurai era used as a clothesline for intensely, savagely graphic violence, served up with great panache and style... well, you're not that common but you'll appreciate what Shigurui has to offer. -_-
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Lyzl
Experienced Anime Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by valondar View Post
The ending isn't that bad. As I opined in my review it does tie up some thematic threads. It's that pesky plot it doesn't quite shut down. -_-

As far as the watching experience goes, the phrase that stuck in my mind after watching it was that it was, uh, worthwhile to endure. 'Enjoy' is not exactly a word I'd use to describe Shigurui, though it is a completely unforgettable anime and a stylistic marvel.
I think I agree with this. I'm not enjoying it, but I like enduring it. I feel like there is something new and interesting there that is completely worth the watch. I haven't been so shocked with a different style like this since watching Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet by David Lynch. (Which, as a side note, are extraordinary movies, watch if you haven't done so)

Even Kaiba and Pulp Fiction, both of which I've watched somewhat recently, don't really come close to a freakishly unique style.

http://www.AniviewReviews.com
Lyzl is offline   Reply With Quote