Saki - Page 3 - Anime-Planet forum
Why register?

make an anime and manga list, and more! all free!

Theme

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #21
Scython
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Saki

Is this watchable without knowing how to play Mahjong?

Scython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Quizap
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Send a message via AIM to Quizap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
Is this watchable without knowing how to play Mahjong?
Yea, I still have no clue on how to play and get some enjoyment out of watching it. The over dramatization of them playing gives me a kick.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Thanks captaincrunch!!

Quizap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
therik
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to therik Send a message via MSN to therik

Just caught up with the series, and I'm really into it now. I watched this just for the "cute girls play mahjongg" premise and to follow a couple of seiyuu. What I wasn't expecting was to find my ecchi fix, my silly humour fix, and a hand-clappingly addictive ED to top it all off.

In terms of all-out light-hearted fun this has the best watch I've had in a while. I'm not expecting jaw-dropping plot twists and fireworks, but I've always had a soft spot for series which don't pretend to be smarter than they are.

therik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #24
purplemo

Nodocchi finally showed!

Caught up with this one (finally). Hopefully they can make the finals interesting like in the manga. The ending is pretty nice too (given the type of show this is), though Nodocchi's breasts are beginning to take on Eiken's wrongness. At least they aren't this bad other than in the ED.

Now onto the others.

Of note, while I don't feel like you need to know mahjong by any stretch to understand Saki, it does help I feel. I think I've already mentioned that I hate the way the Japanese play mahjong, but it is nice to be able to tune out the VAs from time to time and just call it as I see it. They suck as announcers and can ruin it with their over the top reactions. Being able to tune it out lessens that. Also knowing the story does too. ;p
purplemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Quizap

Send a message via AIM to Quizap

Right now, for me at least, Saki, Guin Saga and K-ON! are the best this season as to offer with FMA nearing very close now that they've come to where the first branches off from the original story.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Saki and can't wait for 8 to come out.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Thanks captaincrunch!!

Quizap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
purplemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizap View Post
Right now, for me at least, Saki, Guin Saga and K-ON! are the best this season as to offer with FMA nearing very close now that they've come to where the first branches off from the original story.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Saki and can't wait for 8 to come out.
I get the feeling a decent amount of Saki fans are fans for the same reason as they are fans of K-ON! Nodocchi is nowhere near on the same level as drooling fanboi wanking subject Mio, but she's got her following too. ;p
Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #27
therik
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemo View Post
Of note, while I don't feel like you need to know mahjong by any stretch to understand Saki, it does help I feel.
Eh. I'd say it barely helps. You rarely get a good look at the discard piles, you get to see the player's hand for a few seconds if at all, and I don't think I've spotted any dora indicators. It's really not easy to evaluate how good or bad any given move is. In most rounds, you don't seem to glimpse anything except the final discard or pickup.

Quote:
I think I've already mentioned that I hate the way the Japanese play mahjong
What don't you like about it? The rules? The pace? I've never played American, Chinese or any other variety of Mahjongg so I've not much to compare it to.

Quote:
but it is nice to be able to tune out the VAs from time to time and just call it as I see it. They suck as announcers and can ruin it with their over the top reactions. Being able to tune it out lessens that.
Yeah, I thought that comment about "But Hanamura Nodoka sees the pure straight!!!" was a bit silly. Surely anyone could see that the pure straight was on. She was just being stupid for not playing it safe given the lead that they had at the time, and not taking the tsumo after declaring riichi, with about 4 draws left... well, that's just a wrong move no matter how you look at it.

In truth, I think playing Mahjongg has slightly lessened my enjoyment of this if anything. It makes me frustrated when you don't see enough of the board to judge moves, and the scale of their first round win is just preposterous. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain you'd need a gulf in luck as well as a gulf in class to pull off such a big win.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemo View Post
I get the feeling a decent amount of Saki fans are fans for the same reason as they are fans of K-ON! Nodocchi is nowhere near on the same level as drooling fanboi wanking subject Mio, but she's got her following too. ;p
Meh. Give me Saki or Hisa any day. Especially Saki :)

Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #28
purplemo

I don't need to see the entire table when I watch Saki. I don't look for THAT much depth with a show like this. Being able to see what a hand is enough for me in this show. Being able to know what the hand is is enough to get a better grasp of what is going on.

As for the Japanese game, I had already mentioned that they bogged down the game with too much crap. Mahjong is most fun when you can get a simple mahjong table (i.e the green poker table with the slot at each side for your money), sit down four people, and just get it going. It is much more faster and enjoyable that way. For me, mahjong is like a pick-up game. The way the Japanese play mahjong and the way I play it is like the difference between playing chess with a clock in a tournament and just pulling out the set with a friend to kill some time. I'm fine with tournament play, but the Japanese game is like that every frickin' time, slow as all hell. I like my mahjong simple and fast. No need for die or sticks. Just the tiles. And I hate these new automatic tables. If a game doesn't start with everyone mixing the tiles in an enormous racket, I don't want to play.

And for the lack of enjoyment with knowledge, I think you just need to take Saki for what it is. I think I came in with the attitude a basketball player would take to a Harlem Globetrotters game (or a dunk contest). It's not supposed to be realistic. It's supposed to be the sensational stuff that doesn't happen in a real game. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. I just need to realize that this doesn't happen in reality. It also helps that I've read the manga and know what I was getting into well before the anime came out.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #29
therik
Otaku

Fair points. I guess it's just because I'm still at the stage where I'm developing and learning strategies that I want to know exactly why every move was played, how big a risk was taken, etc. Like you said though, that's not really Saki's thing. Maybe I should re-watch Akagi if I want them to spend half an episode dissecting each move.

Ah well, episode 8 is out now. Best get stuck in.

Edit: Fuck yeah! The old ED is back again! I was worried it was gone for good after they switched it up for ep 7.

Last edited by therik; 05-25-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
purplemo

Starting out with the Japanese mahjong might be easier given that everyone who plays it plays it at a snail's pace so it is much easier to think things through and make your moves. And it isn't quite as death's bed slow as, say, shougi. With four players you usually won't have half-hour periods of people staring off into space like a 1-on-1.

To be honest, while the Japanese threw in a lot of crap to make the game less fun, it really doesn't slow the game down that much. But for some reason everyone I've played with who plays that game plays it unbearably slow. Maybe it's because so few of them ever bet on the games (unlike Cantonese which I've never played without gambling). Gambling adds a variable that I feel makes the game much more fluid as there's much more at stake, forcing you to act and react instead of sit on your hands doing nothing for minutes on end. Plus for some reason they never seem to want to talk during the game whenever I play Japanese style. It makes for a boring game when taken so seriously when the game is already slower. Bantering with friends in the middle of a game is a must when you're playing a game. Plus it takes out one form of psychological play to not be able to talk.

Maybe that has somewhat to do with those I play with. But those I play Japanese mahjong with aren't the killjoys they are in mahjong as in other games, so I don't think it's just the players.

And honestly I liked the ep 7 ED more than the regular one. The art not so much.