Witchblade

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by kainbloodheart, Jan 6, 2009.

1. kainbloodheart

kainbloodheart Active Member

Witchblade

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

I rewatched this serries last few days and i enjoyed it abit more than i did the first time. Dunno why i just did. Some people may be put off by the armour she wears or lack of, but there just sticking to the origional art work from the american graphics novel series, same nearly goes for her breasts. So if you put that aside i think its quite a good series, and i loved the ending.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  2. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

I remember liking this show. And not just cause I was a teenager and it had boobies. I should rewatch it some time.

3. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Jun 3, 2019
    Episodes 01-02

It's kind of an interesting premise, but these episodes were really sluggish, typical of the early 00s Gonzo works I'd say. I'm really annoyed at how milfblade doesn't seem to think twice before she does something, I frankly doubt running away with her daughter while leaving obvious tracks and stealing a police car to go after her daughter are going to help her case.

I have to wonder, what kind of investigative abilities does the Child Welfare Agency have to be able to track milfblade and her daughter faster than the evil organization. I smell a mystery.

HasseRovdjur and YuiYui like this.
  4. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Episodes 1, 2, and 3
    As someone who has read two issues of Witchblade in his entire life I am probably the most competent and knowledgeable anime fan on the subject of Mark Silvestri's masterpiece. I remember Sarah Pezzini had not a lot of clothes at times and IIRC the colouring was done in computer, which was a bad thing to be back in 1996 or so.

I find it interesting that they went with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of situation here, instead of the Witchblade augmenting our badass girl hero's powers. No '90s bad girl comics points for you! MILF lady is far too ditzy and demure when not trying to accidentally kill her kid in a car chase. Witchblade is that bloodlusting shounenfuck that I am ever so tired of, but at least her bum is bare, so there is that.

Its animation is decent, even if the actual designs is all over the place. What's up with the mechanical designs of the enemies, for example?

The story so far is your usual barely-there excuse for violent rampages, and I am only watching this for the "plot". Who gives a fuck about the shady government dudes?

EDIT: Episode 4
    Pretty ballsy move to have a mom character, though. I remember the misogynistic basement dwelling contingent of anime fandom pooping their diapers over Nagi having a girlfriend.

It's not as ballsy to have demure assistant lady lust after her megatop bosslady.

Zed and YuiYui like this.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Jun 5, 2019
    Episodes 03-04

I would guess the Witch blade's ability is cutting through steel like it's butter. I wouldn't really see this as that useful a weapon, but then given she was shot with a canon and was sent across the street without getting a scratch she's basically indestructible, except against small tranquilizer darts like the one she was shot with in the previous ep of course.

Also don't tell me all the enemies in Witchblade are humans capable of transforming into huge sentient kitchen appliances or shed tools. Despite how gory the deaths can be I don't really think being blended by a big food mixer or cooked by a sandwich maker is that scary. Oh well, if I'm ever to encounter one of these machines I hope it's a coffee maker.

HasseRovdjur likes this.
  6. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Posted by Thrawn on Jun 5, 2019
    Basically, it needs more boobs and ass. What is there, is pretty damn good.

HasseRovdjur likes this.
  7. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Eps 5 - 7
    The side characters and family sideplots are very grating, and I don't like any of the characters one bit. I'm here for the action, not for the animification of a Western comic book.

Otherwise, the reveal that Masane and Lady's days are numbered add some sort of tension, but I'm not sure what. I'm not that interested in the cloak and dagger stuff, either, but it beats Cooking with Loli.

Bad yuri kiss, too.

Zed likes this.
  8. YuiYui

YuiYui Well-Known Member

Posted by YuiYui on Jun 17, 2019
    Episode 24 [END]
    I'm glad they didn't go for the everyone is a happy family ending and Masane did actually die, gives it some nice closure.

I was kind of hoping for an after scene where you had a bit more between Rihoko and Takayama, or really.... any sort of the crew being reunited after Masane's sacrifice.

In conclusion, not as many boob shots as I expected. The pacing was a bit slow in places and the story dragged out here and there, but the concept was interesting and the end gave it some good closure. For these reasons I'd give it a 6/10

9. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

I'm still at this!
    Episodes 10 - 12

Episode 10 was a dire "wouldn't it be cute if we had this self-indulgent scenario", and 11 and 12 had that awful brat Maria in it. Other than that, I don't believe anything of note happened. Oh, right, they captured Masane and that weird dude is mad bla bla bla.

10. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

I finished it!
    It wasn't a total failure, but it was incredibly boring, and has aged very badly. It uses tried and true tropes but can't pull them off convincingly. The end credits scenes were very perfunctory, and as a whole, I couldn't get invested in anything. It's a tedious piece of entertainment, and Kassandra calls, so I'll not write much more.

4 kitchen appliance enemies out of 10

Ebonyslayer and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  11. Ebonyslayer

Ebonyslayer Well-Known Member

Looking back now, I can definitely see the problems the series had, the slow pacing, and the not so well written antagonists that the protagonist had to fight. I think the mother-daughter relationship between Masane and Mihoko did have potential, but the anime was too long for its own good. Plus I already found a better dark superhero anime, Devilman Crybaby.

So other than the brain-dead action, the average shonen superhero, and plot-twists that didn't help the story, I don't think this anime was ever that good. I will give credit though, Jamie Marchi is an amazing voice actress. You want her to voice a sexy character, she's the one to go to. 2/5.

MilissaSexclub likes this.
  12. DIOisMiyane

DIOisMiyane New Member

Tbh I was so excited for this bc it is genuinely an exciting story and I'm invested in the characters but , I can't even watch it . I like women too but the fanservice is so distracting it actually gets annoying :/ it always bums me out when a thing that has the potential to be cool doesn't hit like it's supposed to

13. Ramenheim

Ramenheim New Member

Oh man, I bought the dvd release for the series & the "uncensored dvd vers." is absolutely worse to watch lmfao I'm so glad I kept the files from the tv airing bc the black body suit (while only being marginally less horny) censoring looks so much better stylistically and adds much needed dark negative space that lets all the shiny tf effects & violence stand out visually. Honest to god a fave anime of mine gb ultraviolent women + family SoL.