One Outs

Wright

One Outs
Alt title:

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

===================================================================

Thought I'd make a thread for this since not many people seem to watch it, which is a shame because it's awesome. It's from the same people that made Akagi and Kaiji, so there's an awesome "evil genius" type main character who you want to go gay for. Plus it's about baseball...and SCHEMING!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really on the fence about trying this.

The pluses: Obviously, that a lot of the people behind this worked on Akagi and Kaiji, both of which I liked (hence the avatar).

The minuses: But unlike those shows this isn't an adaptation of a Fukumoto manga, hence it lacks his cool character designs. Also, it's about baseball - a surer sleeping pill there is none as far as I'm concerned.

I think I might have read there's a bit of gambling as well... is this really about baseball, or is it about gambling on baseball? If the latter I may just give it a spin.

I'm really on the fence about trying this.

The pluses: Obviously, that a lot of the people behind this worked on Akagi and Kaiji, both of which I liked (hence the avatar).

The minuses: But unlike those shows this isn't an adaptation of a Fukumoto manga, hence it lacks his cool character designs. Also, it's about baseball - a surer sleeping pill there is none as far as I'm concerned.

I think I might have read there's a bit of gambling as well... is this really about baseball, or is it about gambling on baseball? If the latter I may just give it a spin.

The main characters contract is a gamble.

He's a pitcher, for every out he gets like 1 million bucks. For every run he allows he pays the owner 50 million.

Well, I had a look at the first episode. It was okay. Akagi and Kaiji both had stronger starts, I feel, particularly in establishing their leads.

Some nice mind game moments though for me it has a similar problem I had with Akagi - namely I really don't have any idea what they're talking about. I'll give it a couple more episodes, it's somewhat more promising than I implied.

An image of Kaiji in a baseball uniform came to mind.
HAHAHA
I'll give it a try.

Edit: It's very much like Akagi, except I know what's going on and I don't like the animation as much.

Last edited:
Meh, I dropped this after four episodes. The characters were bland stereotypes and the premise isn't good enough to justify continuing it.

Meh, I dropped this after four episodes. The characters were bland stereotypes and the premise isn't good enough to justify continuing it.

So far I'd say it's a watered down version of Akagi. That's a show more than worth watching (until it sort of falls apart in the final stretch, but otherwise...)

I like it better than Akagi, honestly.

Akagi's melodramatic excess mostly feels justified because, well, it's the yakuza. Here it's basically greedy businessmen, which lacks punch. The writing is, so far, far more generic shounen tournament fare, and Toua hasn't been established beyond a vaguely defined genius sportsman archetype.

Granted, it's just five episodes in for me, but by this point in Akagi I was hook line and sinker in love. Akagi was a ruthless, manipulative devil child, while Toua's just a guy who's really smart about baseball and whose mannerisms resemble the Genius Who Descended into Darkness. He screws with people's heads, but he's yet to have a moment comparable to Akagi's game to chicken (which had happened by this point).

Overall it's okay (and I like it), but only in small doses. Akagi was a 'I-can't-wait-for-the-next-episode' affair. Granted, it may get better - much as Akagi got worse - but we'll see. Just my two cents at any rate.

Last edited:
Akagi's melodramatic excess mostly feels justified because, well, it's the yakuza. Here it's basically greedy businessmen, which lacks less punch. The writing is, so far, far more generic shounen tournament fare, and Toua hasn't been established beyond a vaguely defined genius sportsman archetype.

Granted, it's just five episodes in for me, but by this point in Akagi I was hook line and sinker in love. Akagi was a ruthless, manipulative devil child, while Toua's just a guy who's really smart about baseball and whose mannerisms resemble the Genius Who Descended into Darkness. He screws with people's heads, but he's yet to have a moment comparable to Akagi's game to chicken (which had happened by this point).

Overall it's okay (and I like it), but only in small doses. Akagi was a 'I-can't-wait-for-the-next-episode' affair. Granted, it may get better - much as Akagi got worse - but we'll see. Just my two cents at any rate.
My explanation is much simpler: I know baseball and not mahjong. :P

My explanation is much simpler: I know baseball and not mahjong. :P

Fair enough - I don't understand either one. By the by, my favourite of the three is easily Kaiji, which had games which were simple enough for my dull brain to follow.

Fair enough - I don't understand either one. By the by, my favourite of the three is easily Kaiji, which had games which were simple enough for my dull brain to follow.
Yeah, Kaiji easily trumps both. I like it more mostly because Kaiji is an actual human who we get some inner monologue from, not some "devil" who outwits everyone and always wins.

That, and Akagi's horrible ending arc.

yeah I'd agree that Akagi and Kaiji are both better, but I still feel good watching One Outs. Something about it just keeps me interested and generally excited for the next episode, even if it is fairly simplistic compared to the other ones. Though it's still airing so it could still get better/worse =/

I haven't seen these other 2 anime you keep comparing one outs too but I'm thinking i should cause I'm still watching one outs and loving it.... i HATE baseball to no end but I love this anime for some unexplained reason.

(must be the cute guys and pretty awesome music) :P

Is anyone still watching this? :P I thought it would get old but it honestly doesn't. :o

Is anyone still watching this? :P

Well, no. I've kept tuning out of the sixth episode whenever I tried. Baseball talk... so boring. Not that I haven't ruled out going back to this show, as a kind of stop-gap while I wait for the next season of Kaiji (which better be Yuza Sato's next project and better be epic). It's heartening to know that the series is still apparently okay, though I haven't thought that much of what I've seen.

Back