Japanese Language Proficiecy Test (JPLT) - Page 2 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
skankfish
Otaku

Default Re: Japanese Language Proficiecy Test (JPLT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkun View Post
Here's a good post from another forum that's very useful for all levels.
That's not a very good guide. I wouldn't trust it at all. For a start, there are 5 levels now. Secondly, it reads like the guy's scribbled memos.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
jkun
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankfish View Post
That's not a very good guide. I wouldn't trust it at all. For a start, there are 5 levels now. Secondly, it reads like the guy's scribbled memos.
It was posted on "2010 March 01, 1:45 am". Is that all you dislike about it?

He lists,
Anki (flash cards)
Remembering the Kana (basics)
Remembering the Kanji (popular method for learning Kanji with stories)
Tae Kim's Grammar Guide (the best grammar guide out there for free)
Core 2000 (a mix of 2000 popular words)
Subs2Srs (a program that converts anime subtitles into Anki decks)
Kanzen Master (sentences)
Core 6000 (more words)

He provides complete decks with audio/images for Anki and recommends that users should focus on sentence mining. There's also a link to another thread with a handful of other documents from google that explain even more. It's a basic layout of free resources for people to use that are unable to pay for classes or travel to japan.

Why the hate? sharing is caring.

If the resources are so bad please explain,
http://www.herbert-siojo.com/japanese/

(yes I know he spent half the time in japan but he still used the same material)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
skankfish
Otaku

The problem is that his sources, while genuine, do not coincide with the JLPT levels. Specifically, RTK works on a totally different system. If what you}'re looking for is a list of tools for mastering JLPT levels, it's pretty much useless. That's not to say the links are bad, per se.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
sysmibmip
Experienced Anime Fan

Excuse me while I necro this thread...

I'm considering taking the N2 test this December. I wanted to do a dual degree or at least a diploma in Japanese when I enter uni next year but there's a fair chance I won't be able to, and I want to at least do the JLPT. I study with an N2 textbook and tried the sample questions on the official website. I didn't even think of taking the N2 test until I found how lenient the pass rates were

There seem to be a few people here who have taken the JLPT test before... what's it like? And I mean stuff like applying for the test, how people prepare for it or getting your certificate, not just the test itself. Are the textbooks aimed at specific levels useful?
I will be taking the test in Australia or South Korea.

アニメにハマちゃったら負けかなと思ってる
sysmibmip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
eaper
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysmibmip View Post
Excuse me while I necro this thread...

I'm considering taking the N2 test this December. I wanted to do a dual degree or at least a diploma in Japanese when I enter uni next year but there's a fair chance I won't be able to, and I want to at least do the JLPT. I study with an N2 textbook and tried the sample questions on the official website. I didn't even think of taking the N2 test until I found how lenient the pass rates were

There seem to be a few people here who have taken the JLPT test before... what's it like? And I mean stuff like applying for the test, how people prepare for it or getting your certificate, not just the test itself. Are the textbooks aimed at specific levels useful?
I will be taking the test in Australia or South Korea.
N2 is supposed to be fairly easy (talked to some friends about it). Have you taken any classes in Japanese before?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
skankfish
Otaku

N2 isn't easy by any stretch... it's essentially full fluency. N1 is business level and beyond what you'd ever need in daily life. N2 is everything else. The vocab and kanji list is very long, and the grammar is no small challenge either. Having said that, it's no harder than memorising all the source material. Textbooks like Nihongo so-matome cover everything pretty well in preparation for the test.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
eaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankfish View Post
N2 isn't easy by any stretch... it's essentially full fluency. N1 is business level and beyond what you'd ever need in daily life. N2 is everything else. The vocab and kanji list is very long, and the grammar is no small challenge either. Having said that, it's no harder than memorising all the source material. Textbooks like Nihongo so-matome cover everything pretty well in preparation for the test.
Ooops, I was thinking N4, not N2. I always forget how they number the levels. N2 is supposed to be really hard. Friend of mine going to grad school in Japanese Linguistics said he thought he would barely be able to pass it after studying up some for it.

I also know that genki is supposed to cover the approximate test levels (Genki I is ~N5, etc.), but the upper level ones (the third book and on, if there is one past that) has a different name.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
sysmibmip
Experienced Anime Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaper View Post
Have you taken any classes in Japanese before?
I encountered Japanese at school in year 8 and just recently finished the joke that is known as Year 12 High school Japanese with straight A+s. have studied under a Korean - Japanese translator using a fairly legit (I think) Korean textbook specifically for people preparing for N2. I've got all the sentence patterns and most of the grammar, all that's left is to memorise some kanji. As I said previously I never thought of taking the test until I found the pass mark was 55% ish. Last time I tried the N2 questions I got about 14/19 correct and with my nolife hikkikomori study ethic I should be fully competent by December.
But in your experience were the sample questions a fair representation of those on the actual test?

アニメにハマちゃったら負けかなと思ってる

Last edited by sysmibmip; 06-15-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
eaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysmibmip View Post
I encountered Japanese at school in year 8 and just recently finished the joke that is known as Year 12 High school Japanese with straight A+s. have studied under a Korean - Japanese translator using a fairly legit (I think) Korean textbook specifically for people preparing for N2. I've got all the sentence patterns and most of the grammar, all that's left is to memorise some kanji. As I said previously I never thought of taking the test until I found the pass mark was 55% ish. Last time I tried the N2 questions I got about 14/19 correct and with my nolife hikkikomori study ethic I should be fully competent by December.
But in your experience were the sample questions a fair representation of those on the actual test?
Where did you get the practice questions from? Like I said, I haven't actually taken any of the tests- I just have a good number of friends that either have or seriously considered it. N2 usually takes several years (read >4 for most people) of study of the Japanese language if you're starting from scratch. My reply was mixing up N4 and N2 (N4 is the second easiest of the tests, N2 is the second hardest). If you haven't been studying seriously for at least a while, you probably aren't going to be able to pass the N2, like skank said.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
sysmibmip
Experienced Anime Fan

The questions were from the official JLPT website.

アニメにハマちゃったら負けかなと思ってる