Japanese Language Proficiecy Test (JPLT) - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
NeX
Temp. Banned (Requested)

Default Japanese Language Proficiecy Test (JPLT)

I figure since a lot of you are young and ambitions/dreaming of going to study in Japan that I should kill your dreams right now. Welcome to reality/adulthood.

JPLT is setup by the Japanese gov't to test proficiency for the language. It's done in a shitload of countries all around the world. Almost every university in Japan requires that you pass this test in order to study there (even some exchange programs). My uni's exchange requires Level 2 passed.

There are four levels to this test:

Level 4 - Beginner - you're at an elementary level.
Level 3 - basic/low-intermediate - congrats you can somewhat read!
Level 2 - Intermediate - you can read Manga now!
Level 1 - Advanced - you may call yourself l33t and play hgames without problems.

I believe they're changing the format next year or so I hear. To what? probably something even harder >_<

This may not sound too bad until you read the requirements (posted on wiki link below). They suggest you study a min of certain hrs before attempting the test. IT'S A LIE!!! You really need to study more than that to get a good mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...oficiency_Test

That's a small info page.

The JLPT Study Page This page has quite a lot of information:

Vocab lists
Kanji list
Grammar requirements
Previous tests
etc...

The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Official website.

Most high school courses are inadequate to teach you properly to take this test. I really do suggest you take a university or college level course before attempting such tests.

One thing I learned from my sensei was "Don't study a lot. Just study a little everyday." Best advice ever!

I've passed Level 3, going for level 2 year after next.

To those who still want to do it: Ganbatte yo!

P.S. they hand out official study guides, get those they are your best friend!
NeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
mussolini
Otaku

Default Re: Japanese Language Proficiecy Test (JPLT)

According to your link, I'd imagine I could BARELY pass Level 3. I attended a Japanese high school for a week, as part of a sister-school program. Whilst in comparative terms the lessons were for the grade above mine, it's safe to say that what I did know of the language at the time severely limited my ability to participate. And I generally get among the best results in my class. However, I don't feel like an idiot because I could speak more Japanese than most people there could speak in English (that's not including "English" words that they use due to the lack of a Japanese word, though I think that changes nothing).

Still, if anyone's that dead-set on going to Japan to study, I recommend doing a full tertiary course on the language, though my personal recommendation would be to conclude your studies in whatever country you live in before trying to do anything over there.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
MrMiyagi
Narumon Z

Location: Tokyo, Japan... originally from Bremerton/Seattle, WA...
Send a message via ICQ to MrMiyagi Send a message via AIM to MrMiyagi Send a message via MSN to MrMiyagi Send a message via Yahoo to MrMiyagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeX View Post
I believe they're changing the format next year or so I hear. To what? probably something even harder >_<
try easier... here's why... many people run right through the Kanji/Vocab sections very quickly, with 10-15 minutes to spare... the Reading/Grammar section tends to take the whole allotted time, but many people fail to actually finish it (slow reading)... so the Kanji/Vocab and Reading/Grammar sections have been combined... and now the test (Level 2 and maybe 1, too, can't remember) is offered more than once a year...
Friendster profile
MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
ParaParaJMo
Anime Guru

i thought it was offered more than once a year in japan, not sure about the other locations though. i took the level 2 test during my senior year of high school and score an 80. but that was almost 10 years ago. level 1 is a different kind of beast in comparison to two. i had a friend who failed it the first time, passed it the second.....and failed it the third time. i would take it, but i got no time anymore

Be sure to check out: www.youtube.com/hajimenojmo and his top 50 anime at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngwg5N5APw
ParaParaJMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Tasaio
Narumon Z

The test is offered two times a year in Japan, China and some other countries, too, I think. Took JLPT2 a few weeks ago and will hopefully take JLPT1 in December. :)

I don't think the difference between JLPT1 and 2 is all that big though, the main difference is the vocabulary / kanji and reading part.
Tasaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
ParaParaJMo
Anime Guru

as mrmiyagi said, they are making the test easier. not sure if this applies to all levels or just level 1. im moving to japan next month so i'll try level 2 again and try level 1 after

Be sure to check out: www.youtube.com/hajimenojmo and his top 50 anime at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngwg5N5APw
ParaParaJMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
MrMiyagi
Narumon Z

Location: Tokyo, Japan... originally from Bremerton/Seattle, WA...
Send a message via ICQ to MrMiyagi Send a message via AIM to MrMiyagi Send a message via MSN to MrMiyagi Send a message via Yahoo to MrMiyagi

Just an FYI to anyone thinking of taking the test... wait until next year... the test is being expanded and changed again... there will now be 5 levels... the new level is in between the old 2-kyuu and 3-kyuu levels... and the readings are going to be changed to more practical things (like an information paper in a library, etc...)... the last test for the current format is this December... I'd imagine new types of study guides will be available around March of 2010... but you can always study your kanji to prepare...
Friendster profile
MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
eaper
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Do you know, roughly, how these "levels" would relate to college level courses? I assume, looking at your description, 2 semesters/first year of college Japanese would get you somewhere in level 3 and 2nd year/4 semesters would land you somewhere in 2? Does that sound about right?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
skankfish
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
when will be the next JLPT exam? Have you any idea?
jfgi JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

eaper: The Genki textbooks are supposed to equate to a level each, and are studied at the rate of one a year, afaik.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
jkun
Narumon Z

Here's a good post from another forum that's very useful for all levels.

Quote:
original

I'll be honest, this is more of a thread I can link to whenever anyone asks "what next?". I figure it works better than retyping the same thing each time. Also, each of us has our own opinion on how to go about the self study route, and that's all this is: my opinion based on both my experience and feedback from this forum.

This roadmap is aimed at people involved in a career where one can only spare 1 to 2 hours a day for to study. In addition, it's for those that like a bit more systematic structure in their studying. Because of that, I've broken it down JLPT equivalent as that's an easy reference many that study Japanese can relate. In each of those, I break it down further subsections of Kanji, Grammar, Vocabulary, Listening/Speaking via subs2srs. You build up each area slowly over time.

I also don't offer any suggestions above JLPT 2, just due to that being my current level. Given that I'm learning JLPT 2 level, it's a bit of blind leading the blind to take my advice so buyer beware.

Here's the rough guide line:

Common Tools

Sites
RevTK
Anki
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar

D-Addicts Large selection of Japanese Subtitles
Dramanote Large selection of scripts for Japanese Dramas

Spreadsheets/Documents
RTKana Spreadsheet based off Remembering the Kana
RTK Spreadsheet RTK 1 and 3 includes KO2k1 and Kanken numbers in addition to Yomi and Common terms
Tae Kim Grammar Spreadsheet There's a deck for this on Anki updated to include Clozed Delete

Core 2k/6k Image and Audio Files
Core 2k6k Vocabulary Audio Place in the Anki deck .media folder
Core 2k6k Sentence Audio Place in the Anki deck .media folder
Core 2k Sentence Image Place in the Anki deck .media folder (some images may not match up, sorry).

RevTK Threads
Subs2Srs Tool to Convert Dramas to Flashcards
Useful Google Documents

Beginner - JLPT 4 equivalent level
Kana using Remember the Kana; an Anki Deck is available
RTK using 2001KO 1-555 Kanji; an Anki Deck is available

Tae Kim - Basic
Core 2k step 1&2 sorted; an Anki Deck is available
Subs2srs 1 hour of an easy drama/anime

Roughly 150 hours of actual study/review time

Basic - JLPT 3 equivalent level
Tae Kim Essential; an Anki Deck is available
1st 800 of sorted Core 2k step 3-10; an Anki Deck is available

Add to RTK using 2001KO 556-1110 Kanji

Tae Kim Special
2nd 800 of sorted Core 2k step 3-10

Roughly 200-300 hours of actual study/review time

Intermediate - JLPT 2 equivalent level

Kanzen Master Two - 200 sentences (km thread link)
Subs2srs 2 hours of easy/moderate drama
1st 1000 of sorted Core 6k

Kanzen Master Two - next 200 sentences
2nd 1000 of sorted Core 6k

Kanzen Master Two - next 200 sentences
Subs2srs 2 hours of moderate drama
3rd 1000 of sorted Core 6k
Subs2srs 2 hours of moderate drama

Kanzen Master Two - last 150 sentences