Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
lagore
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME
 
lagore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Freetown, USA
Posts: 3,714
Default The Big O

The Big O

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.
__________________________________________

I don't exactly remember much about this show, but I know that it was awesome. Really awesome. I just wish I could remember why.

I know it had giant robots, and a this cool guy in a business, and a robot girl, everyone had amnesia... DAMN! I really need to watch this again.
__________________

lagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
valondar
Otaku
 
valondar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: The Big O

I watched it again recently.

In short:

Big O is awesome. Really awesome. It's Batman with a giant robot and instead of that pansy Robin he has an ass-kicking, cool-as-ice robot maid. There's also a mind-screw plot that slowly unravels from Serial Experiments Lain writer Chiaki J. Konaka. So, yeah, it's pretty smart in addition to being exceedingly cool with that noir / art deco 1990s Batman cartoon aesthetic.

Basically, this show is awesome and has it all and anyone out there who hasn't watched it give it a try.
__________________
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Pidjiken
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 9,763
Send a message via MSN to Pidjiken Send a message via Skype™ to Pidjiken
Default Re: The Big O

Quote:
Originally Posted by valondar View Post
I watched it again recently.

In short:

Big O is awesome. Really awesome. It's Batman with a giant robot and instead of that pansy Robin he has an ass-kicking, cool-as-ice robot maid. There's also a mind-screw plot that slowly unravels from Serial Experiments Lain writer Chiaki J. Konaka. So, yeah, it's pretty smart in addition to being exceedingly cool with that noir / art deco 1990s Batman cartoon aesthetic.

Basically, this show is awesome and has it all and anyone out there who hasn't watched it give it a try.
Seconded
__________________
Retired
Pidjiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
AstroJunkie
Narumon Z
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Big O

So many people have compared this show to batman, i guess because they creators were inspired by the batman animated series here in NA, but still, overall the story is completely different then Batman. The english voice acting was great in this series, for people like me who are always doing multiple things while watching it helps, heh.

I will admit that I didn't much care for the ending, the whole series was just so inspiring, taking so much inspiration from film noir and the whole estetics of hard boiled fiction, combined witha uniquely designed set of futuristic tools and robots. At first I didn't know if I'd like the shows way or potraying their futuristic big robot kind of additions, but overall it not only fit the design of the story but I think it made it better. It's just too bad that they make you have to draw too many of your own conclusions at the end of the series in order for it to make any sense what so ever, it's basically the matrix without any explination what so ever.

Still overall an instant classic and though it is not currently in my library, it will be eventually, I suggest the same for everyone else :D
AstroJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
valondar
Otaku
 
valondar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: The Big O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunkie View Post
So many people have compared this show to batman, i guess because they creators were inspired by the batman animated series here in NA, but still, overall the story is completely different then Batman.
The premise is basically Batman with some twists. You have the wealthy suave guy who moonlights as a superhero with his fancy tech, usually fighting colorful villains in their own aliases. He's even got an Alfred-type butler. Dastun is clearly Gordon, and so on. It's true there's also a hard-boiled noir influence - but the same can be said of some interpretations of the Dark Knight, particularly the specific cartoon this series took after.

The main difference here is in the story arc. As the whole issue of Paradigm City and the lost memories develop, yeah, that owes nothing to Batman and everything to the wonderfully screwed up writing of Konaka. Trust him to take an innoucous premise and punch it up with weird mind-bending.

On that front I think the show is a little underrated, actually; mostly when I hear people talk about psychological robot shows the discussion's confined to Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon. Whatever one thinks of Big O's ending, it's very bit as opaque as how those shows concluded.
__________________

Last edited by valondar; 12-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
AstroJunkie
Narumon Z
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Big O

Quote:
Originally Posted by valondar View Post
The premise is basically Batman with some twists. You have the wealthy suave guy who moonlights as a superhero with his fancy tech, usually fighting colorful villains in their own aliases. He's even got an Alfred-type butler. Dastun is clearly Gordon, and so on. It's true there's also a hard-boiled noir influence - but the same can be said of some interpretations of the Dark Knight, particularly the specific cartoon this series took after.

The main difference here is in the story arc. As the whole issue of Paradigm City and the lost memories develop, yeah, that owes nothing to Batman and everything to the wonderfully screwed up writing of Konaka. Trust him to take an innoucous premise and punch it up with weird mind-bending.

On that front I think the show is a little underrated, actually; mostly when I hear people talk about psychological robot shows the discussion's confined to Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon. Whatever one thinks of Big O's ending, it's very bit as opaque as how those shows concluded.
not saying that there is not similarities, infact I think there was a quote that said they wanted to do something like batman to begin with. However, people say "well it's like batman" and people tend to shy away from the show or come to their own conclusions. Other then similarities with a few characters the story, development and events of how each character meets, grows and interacts is much more original then one might think when you say "it's like batman".

either way, we both agree on something, the show is highly underrated, and i wish i had more.
AstroJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
lagore
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME
 
lagore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Freetown, USA
Posts: 3,714
Default Re: The Big O

The Batman animated series kicked ass. If someone told me it was like Batman I'd want to watch it more. However, I've never heard that, and I didn't notice anything while watching it. It seemed more inspired by film noir.
__________________

lagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
valondar
Otaku
 
valondar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: The Big O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunkie View Post
either way, we both agree on something, the show is highly underrated, and i wish i had more.
Hm. Apparently there had been an option for a 26 episode second season when Cartoon Network helped bring it back from cancellation, but only the 13 episode option was chosen. I think the series acquitted itself pretty well in its briefer running time but the greater length would have been interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagore View Post
The Batman animated series kicked ass. If someone told me it was like Batman I'd want to watch it more. However, I've never heard that, and I didn't notice anything while watching it. It seemed more inspired by film noir.
It's really both. In premise and visual look it's largely Batman (and Batman-esque noir). The other norisih elements come out through the plot, which I guess one could say is psychological sci-fi noir. Or somesuch. Honestly I guess one could wind up splitting hairs about this at some point - Big O is so much more than to merely be considered a Batman knockoff, I think we can all agree aout that.
__________________
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
sothis
Overlord
 
sothis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Seattle, Washington
Age: 34
Posts: 18,579
Default Re: The Big O

Quote:
Originally Posted by valondar View Post
I watched it again recently.

In short:

Big O is awesome. Really awesome. It's Batman with a giant robot and instead of that pansy Robin he has an ass-kicking, cool-as-ice robot maid. There's also a mind-screw plot that slowly unravels from Serial Experiments Lain writer Chiaki J. Konaka. So, yeah, it's pretty smart in addition to being exceedingly cool with that noir / art deco 1990s Batman cartoon aesthetic.

Basically, this show is awesome and has it all and anyone out there who hasn't watched it give it a try.
[insert obligatory 'i hope you review it' comments here! :D]
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
valondar
Otaku
 
valondar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: The Big O

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
[insert obligatory 'i hope you review it' comments here! :D]
Been thinking about it but I would need to rewatch first. So probably. I think I'll compile a little list on my profile of reviews I'm working on, for the curious.
__________________
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.