Baccano! - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
lagore
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Baccano!

Baccano!

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

One of my favorite shows. It's stylish, fun, cool. I just can't think of enough good things to say about this series.

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 02-17-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Edited to use newer header format.
lagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
valondar
Otaku

Default Re: Baccano!

The OVA is a pretty nice finale and wraps things up in Baccano's decidedly screwball idea of how to wrap things up. Fans of the show should check it out.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Lisa
Anime Fan in Training

I just started watching this actually (about halfway through) and so far it seems really interesting (and unique). I've never seen anything quite like it before which gives it high marks in my book.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
VivisQueen

FYAB discussion starting here. Although anybody is more than welcome to join in whenever since it's a public thread. ^_^

Episode 1:

Holy moly. I dont' quite get it yet, but I have already fallen for this show. Very nice non-linear approach. Stylistically, seems to be top notch. Definitely a great way to get me off this NTHT downer I'm currently on...

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
valondar
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivisQueen View Post
I dont' quite get it yet,
It makes sense in time. Baccano! has a pretty cohesive and intelligible story, if rather odd.

Most people cite Isaac and Miria as their favourite characters (except for the few deluded folk who don't like them at all) but for me it's definitely Ladd Russo. Hilarious guy. Anyway interested to see how people feel about them, I think in its short running span Baccano juggles its huge cast just as expertly as it's convoluted plot. Wonderfully tight and funny writing all round and easily, IMHO, one of the better animes I've seen.

Last edited by valondar; 03-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
chii
chii is chii

there are no characters i outright hated in baccano! (which means a lot coming from me) simply a wonderful amazing show :D

<3 miria she's so the anime me hehehe

Awesome Music:TAMERAX

chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
therik
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to therik Send a message via MSN to therik

Episode 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veevs
Holy moly. I dont' quite get it yet
Well ain't that the truth... Even coming into this thing knowing that it's a non-linear jobby, I've still been taken somewhat by surprise. Not just by the jolting timescale, but also by the violence. It's stylish, but it's really quite shocking too. My jaw dropped on more than one occasion.

Oh, and Luck Gandor is hawt.

therik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
VivisQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by therik View Post
Episode 1:

Well ain't that the truth... Even coming into this thing knowing that it's a non-linear jobby, I've still been taken somewhat by surprise. Not just by the jolting timescale, but also by the violence. It's stylish, but it's really quite shocking too. My jaw dropped on more than one occasion.

Oh, and Luck Gandor is hawt.
Indeed, the violence was not something I was prepared for. But, weirdly enough, that's the thing that made me like it the fastest. Because I was expecting a kind of non-linear, jazzy, but ultimately more fun than serious show. You remember those detective episodes from Darker than Black? I was expecting it to be more like that, but maybe zanier. The fact that it's instantly mature simply by way of all the blood and barefaced gunning down of anything that moves just made me sit up and pay attention. It's a sleek, stylish programme in approach, but has a gritty core in content.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
valondar
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by therik View Post
but also by the violence. It's stylish, but it's really quite shocking too. My jaw dropped on more than one occasion.
Oh they're just getting started. -_-

This isn't exactly an endless graphic gorefest a la Elfen Lied but there some pretty memorably shocking uses of violence here, and enough blood to statisfy the Overlook Hotel.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
foureyedalice
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by valondar View Post
I think in its short running span Baccano juggles its huge cast just as expertly as it's convoluted plot. Wonderfully tight and funny writing all round and easily, IMHO, one of the better animes I've seen.
Well put. With such a big ensemble cast and ambitious plot structure, Baccano's execution is truly impressive. It's hard to pick a favorite character, though Ladd is a definite contender. One of my favorites is also... someone who hasn't become apparent yet for Vivis and therik- hehehe. Of course, Isaac and Miria are hilarious (where I think in a less well-written show, they'd be annoying). Oh- and I think Firo is adorable.

foureyedalice is offline   Reply With Quote