Akagi - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
lagore
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Akagi

Akagi
(a.k.a. The Legend of Mahjong: Akagi)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

My powers of deductive reasoning tell me that this thread does not exist yet. This is my first "Specific Anime Discussion" thread. Hopefully copying the format of the other threads will be good enough...

Well, anywho... I felt that the show was just sort of mediocre. It had it's moments, and it got pretty good towards the end. But on the whole it was just okay. But it's definitely good enough to have it's own thread, am I right?

Last edited by lagore; 02-14-2009 at 01:20 PM.
lagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
ForgottenSon
Otaku

Default Re: Akagi

Mediocre? MEDIOCRE!?! Sure Mahjong may be as boring as hell to watch (and probably play) and the ending sucked, but this show is all about how awesome Akagi is and how even straight men want to get down on their knees and fellate him.

My Band||My LastFM|MyMiniCity
ForgottenSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
lagore
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Well, yes. I'll admit that Akagi's pure, unfiltered awesomeness made me more than a little gay for him.

However, I have based my decision mainly on the sudden ending and the fact that I had no clue what the hell was going on. So if this had been about poker, or if I had an elderly Chinese grandmother, I probably would have liked it much better.

lagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
valondar
Otaku

I've got to agree with lagore on this one. I felt Akagi imploded at the end. The first two arcs were great, though, especially his game with Urabe. That had me on the edge of my seat -

And yes, Akagi Shigeru is indeed the genius who descended into darkness. He's Johan Liebert, if Johan played mah-jong instead of killing people.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
Wright
Experienced Anime Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Wright

Akagi kicked ass. The ending DID blow chunks though =/ was very anti-climactic...but Akagi as a character was awesome. Most intense Mahjong you can ever watch =)
Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Providence
Anime Fan in Training

Akagi was good. I didn't have much trouble with the Mahjong since I used to play it, but the scoring system was a bit hard to understand. Still, Akagi's VA also voiced the main characters in Kaiji and One Outs.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
absolute
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via MSN to absolute

Uhm, I wanted to ask some information about this anime before watching it (but I think I'm not going to watch it very soon however). I read somewhere that the anime isn't finished, I mean, that the final scenes are left unfinished. Is it true? Apart from that, do I need to "study" how to play mahjong before watching it?

(finally, but it may be OT, does anyone know where I can find subtitles for the live action movie?)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
absolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
VividAvidWatcher
Narumon Z

Stumbled upon this anime by random luck. Was a lil bored so decided to watch it. Was extremely impressed. Each episode kept me on the edge of my seat wanting more. I'm very much into ninja and demon animes so me liking this kinda took me by surprise. Ending isn't my cup of tea but the buildup to it was pretty great. I would def recommend this to anyone who is curious about watching this!

I also have no clue how to play mahjog but still enjoyed the show

Last edited by VividAvidWatcher; 02-09-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: adding more
VividAvidWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
roriconfan
Banned
Experienced Anime Fan

Not as good as Kaiji and the game is hard to follow if you don't know the rules but it was very suspenseful.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote