Ga-Rei -Zero- - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
purplemo
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Ga-Rei -Zero-

Ga-Rei -Zero-

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Hmm, no thread yet?

Well, I finally got time to catch up. I'm liking it a lot more than I would have thought. Looks like this series is going to do what kure-nai did, start off with a prequel to the "current" timeline in the manga. To be honest I never found Yomi all that compelling (Shizuru was more interesting to me). And I was really looking forward to Kensuke and Kagura and not Yomi's story.

Now I'm getting more and more drawn into Yomi's past; I'm more drawn to this than Tytania or the other ones I was high up on. My only worry is that I feel like Yomi's past will carry this show to its end, much like kure-nai. As much as I'm enjoying Yomi right now, I still want to see the Yomi or Shizuru arc, not just the pre-story.

Actually this feels a lot like my feelings when kure-nai came out. Both were initially very high on my radar and then dropped a lot when I realized they were prequels. Then they began to pull me back in. At least this time around I don't know the ending to the story, so I can thoroughly enjoy this as a semi-n00b. It does have one of the better first episodes that I can recall sans bike-fighting. Well, that was actually quite good too, in a different way . . .

And of note, I'm glad to see Yomi use the iron. It's great to see that weapon come back. Almost as good as Ken-chan's "beast."

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 03-12-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Edited to use newer header format.
purplemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Lyzl
Experienced Anime Fan

Default Re: Ga-Rei -Zero-

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of this anime, Extremely compelling way of opening a series. However, at episode 4 now, it seems to be steadily heading downhill into mediocrity, I know nothing of the manga, but if episode 4 is any indicator of what's to come, then this may have gone from top to dropped.

http://www.AniviewReviews.com
Lyzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Quizap

Send a message via AIM to Quizap

As it is now, it's a prequel to where the manga starts off. I think it's 3 years before the manga even begins. Because Kagura has very short hair and in the manga her hair is a bit longer. The last episode of Gai-Re Zero will probably be

I agree with Purplemo though, Kensuke and Kagura are sooo much more interesting then Yomi and Kagura's past.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Thanks captaincrunch!!

Quizap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
sloggerK
Anime Fan in Training

All I know is that I saw 3 episodes and still didn't have the slightest clue about what's going on. I wasn't even sure if the 1st 2 eps were supposed to be before or after the 3rd. Not to mention it's like every ep had different characters.

sloggerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
prodigyxss19
Anime Fan in Training

The 4th episode continues where the 3rd one left off, so the rest of the series may follow in one direction now. I also noticed they are very different compared to the first two episodes.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
AnimeExpert
Narumon Z

Sadly, this anime seemed to have gone downhill after they added an OP and ED. It was interesting take on typical shounen in the first episode, but from the second (barely) and definitely the third on, it reverted back to mediocrity.
AnimeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
purplemo

Well, it's not that I'm not interested in Yomi's story. It is just I see this as going down kure-nai's path of doing the "pre-story" and ending before it reaches the "present." Just like with kure-nai, I enjoyed the "pre-story" but not enough to be okay with throwing away the "present" story.

The other thing too is that Kagura just doesn't quite seem the same. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the personality's different enough that it just doesn't quite feel right. Maybe it's cuz she doesn't make all those stupid faces . . . ;p

Regardless, this one will still be high on my list, if for no other reason than the pedigree.

@Quizap:
purplemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Worosei
Otaku

yeah i'm a little disappointed by how ga-rei is going...

well i might keep watching, or ill drop this and go the manga, and then if i like the manga come back to the anime as i dont see me becoming very engaged with the story line,

and i dont really like some of those over the top, im too cool for school killing people with a motor bike and a suitcase antics that are displayed... it would be cool if it was done a bit better...
i think ill stick to kurozuka for my bloody fix as that one looks promising, and shikabane hime or finish up jigoku shojo for the 'drama horror' styled one, as ga-rei feels a bit eh...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
DemonRoach
Banned

nice episode 4--what happened?--nothing happened! May as well of just skipped it.
DemonRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Hyperbole1729
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via MSN to Hyperbole1729

Haven't read the manga, but I really like it. I don't mind the change after episode 2.

Hyperbole1729 is offline   Reply With Quote