ef - a tale of melodies

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by rockenroll4life, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ef - a tale of melodies

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

I'd have to say that so far after one episode it has taken it a step up in artistic style and visuals compared to the original ef. Lots of vast and different camera angles, colors, and visual effects were used in the first episode giving it an almost trippy feeling. The OP for the show was quite interesting as well, this also gave off the the same feeling as the show.

So far I can't really complain about the show, It shows off emotion through sound and color and camera angles that are approached in a very creative way.

One part I kinda confused at, but later found out why from the subber notes was the reference to "live". Mizuki was requesting of a live show from Kuze to play the the violin and Kuze makes a comment regarding that he also enjoyes sex without a condom. Since in Japanese, the word for "live" also means "bare, unprotected sex". Well you learn something new everyday.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. kainbloodheart

kainbloodheart Active Member

im totaly confused when is this ment to be set in relation to th first one

3. Not quite sure yet, my best assumption would be a year maybe after the first one, though I'm not sure. I know that we see some of the characters return and they don't look different so it can't be to long after. Though maybe we'll find out within a few eps.

4. MrHanky35

MrHanky35 New Member

thx 4 the info, i was wondering the same, when they showed the drawer after that part with somthing in it, ironicly i thought it was a condom and thought he was gunna attack er.

5. Ascendancy

Ascendancy New Member

By far the best anime of the season.
    Too bad so little people know its value.

First 3 eps were somewhat complex in remembering all the characters, but everything is perfect again.
    It hasnt got the feel of memories yet for me, but thats because of the story.
    And i havent seen any killer part like the voicemail in memories.

6. DragoZERO

DragoZERO New Member

Again, a lot is going on and with the time jumps it takes a lot more effort to follow. But once you manage to get the swing its a good series. I just hope they give all the characters from the original series some air time. But overall, should be a good series like its predecessor.

7. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Oct 29, 2008
    can someone please submit an entry if 3 is enough for a synopsis?

8. Ascendancy

Ascendancy New Member

4 is out so it is possible.
    I'm not good at writing those. Can you?

9. purplemo

purplemo New Member

Well, started one ep and decided to hold off. I don't really care for Shuichi and Mizuki (aka the cradle robber story), but I kind of want to be able to plow through Yu and Yuko's story. I'm been waiting 3 years for this story to be animated, and I guess I'll savor it. All I have to say is they better do a good job with Yu and Yuko's end. Hell, they don't even need to animate it. They can just port it straight (yes, I finished my second VN, ef: the latter tale). It's that good. So they better do one helluva job.

And I know I complain about Makoto Shinkai a lot, but ef is the perfect example of when the guy gets to work in his niche, he does amazing work.

10. DemonRoach

DemonRoach Banned

Got through 2 ep so far, and so far it is about as boring as you can get. Nothing like the first series for the two episodes Ive seen.

11. DemonRoach

DemonRoach Banned

Not even close.

12. Ascendancy

Ascendancy New Member

I don't see what's so boring about it.
    Kuze and mizuki are not as good a story as chihiro and renji were, but if this wasn't called ef, it'd have been high rated. It's just the expectations are too high.
    Because of the yuu yuuko part i'd say its better then a serie like myself;yourself.

But can you name any good anime airing this fall.
    The only other that has any quality is Xam'd.
    ( i dont count series airing all year)

13. purplemo

purplemo New Member

Hehehe. Kuze and Mizuki's story is much better than Chihiro and Renji IMO (by far the weakest of the four ef stories). Of course that doesn't mean the cradle robber's story is good. Luckily Yu and Yuko's should more than make up for it (I just hope they do their ending justice). They did a reasonably good job animating and translating ef to an anime, so they shouldn't muck it up much.

Of note, I'm glad "ebullient future" is much better than "euphoric field," though I wish they stuck to the original "emotional flutter" (not that I had much hope after they didn't use "eternal feather"). They better use "ever forever" at the end of this series though . . .

The other thing is, while there's some definite style to ef's anime OP animations, I really wish they used Makoto Shinkai's original OPs. Those are the guy's second best works behind Hoshi no Koe (yes they are worlds better than 5cm or Kumo no Mukou). It was those OPs that made me fall in love with ef all those years ago (see, I can praise the guy. I don't spend my whole time bashing him).

If you can't tell, ef is one of those stories, much like Higurashi, Hitsuji no Uta, and Tsukihime, that I really really was anticipating its anime translation. If you didn't know already, those three are pretty big disappointments in my book. ef has done quite well, but I'm going to wait for them to tell the best tale before I deliver the final verdict (especially since they skipped Kyouske/Hiro). :mad: Well, chronologically they still might put these two back in . . .

14. Fireaxe

Fireaxe Member

Okay so I haven't watched a single second of the anime yet, nor the OP (I'm stocking them for now so I can watch it in one sitting at the end of the season), but I just got both singles and I'm already hooked... I guess that's a good sign haha.

Oh and
    Lies!

15. purplemo

purplemo New Member

Which two? "Eternal feather"/"Emotional flutter" (:love:) or "Euphoric Field"/"Ebullient Future." (:...:)
    Oh you know it's true. I mean come on, it didn't even have the wet dream Shiki had "with" Len. :laugh:

16. Fireaxe

Fireaxe Member

I'm a big big fan of ELISA actually, I thought that euphoric fields was great but ebullient future is even better. But to be honest I like them all (even Mai Goto's songs are surprisingly catchy O.o). Purplemo you're such a hater!

Well, can't argue with you there but at least she's in the manga.

17. purplemo

purplemo New Member

You really should "play" *cough* read *cough* ef. It's pretty good if you shut your mind off during Chihiro's and Mizuki's stories. After all, ef - the latter tale is the second VN I've managed to finish. So that says something about it. And yes, I am well aware Chihiro and Mizuki made up the latter tale . . . but Yu and Yuko's ending was enough of a draw (plus I really didn't pay much attention to the story). Thank god with VNs you can do other things while you click through them.

Hell, I couldn't even sit through Melty Blood's narrative, and that was half fighting game . . . :!!:

18. Fireaxe

Fireaxe Member

Have you read it in japanese? Because I've never heard of a translation patch for ef. I'll probably give it a try anyway, since ef as a whole feels like a breath of fresh air, I'd really like to read the whole thing. My japanese isn't very good, kanjis are still giving a lot of trouble, but I would probably be able to understand what's going on.

That being said, I was planning to read Planetarian (so it made me smile that you just mentionned it), then I'll finish the Melty Blood series (I'm halfway through the first game). After that, I'm still not sure, it will be either Kagetsu Tohya, Fate Stay Night, or maybe ef if I can find it somewhere.

19. purplemo

purplemo New Member

Hmm, I thought you could read Japanese fine . . . well, I know there's no translation of ef - the latter tale. There might be one of ef - the first tale. The first one would be the better one regardless if you're talking about the whole thing since it has both Miyako's and Hiro's stories. It's just you'll miss out on Yu and Yuko's ending.
    And it's about time you started to look at the good stuff. ;p

20. Fireaxe

Fireaxe Member

If that was the case I would have read KimiNozo loooooooooooong ago. But sadly, no I'm not that great >.<

Now now, on to Planetarian!