Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
ace52387
Experienced Anime Fan

Default Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

What do you guys think? It's kind of sad that Square lost a lot of money on this movie. Yeah, the supporting cast is basically a hodgepodge of Hollywood action cliche's, and the ending doesn't make perfect sense (kind of shamelessly similar to FF7's), but I think relative to other B movies, and other Sci-fi movies, it's not so bad. Aki and the villain are solid characters, the setting is convincingly grim, and I personally thought that the premise is daringly different from FF games. Like most Final Fantasies though, the movie mixes the supernatural, the spiritual, and science fiction.

Mostly, I like how this movie branches out from Final Fantasy. I don't want to see another "sequel" or "prequel" to the already concluded games. It's just going to be a big piece of pandering fanservice, like Advent Children is.

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 10-01-2008 at 01:08 AM.
ace52387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
noone
Narumon Z

Default Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

in spite of the care they took and of the good animation... the story has no energy.

i couldn't care less for any of the charas.

i don't wonder it lost money...

well, what was bad for square was good for us - before the merge/take over, they wouldn't have produced a movie as good as "advent children" :D or so i gather :)

EDIT: oops forgot to mention - i am not a FF addict, actually i never played the game, only saw AC and SW and the other ova-length try, i forget the name - the one with zach in it.
so i am biased that way :D
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Xaravir
Narumon Z

Flashy, but braindead story. The action and CGI were beautiful, but I don't go watching a movie just because it has pretty colours and action. A giant deus ex machina designed to bring Sephiroth or w/e his name is (I'm not a fan of FF) for a last fight doesn't work for me.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
ace52387
Experienced Anime Fan

haha what business does a person who's never played FF7 have watching Advent Children? :P Not that I disagree. I don't think Spirits Within has a fanservie-y, braindead story though. Maybe it's just me but on paper it's pretty cool.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
sothis
Overlord

xaravir, i think you have the wrong thread - this is for spirits within, not advent children ^_^;

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
ParaParaJMo
Anime Guru

there's a quote by tomino that applies to this and advent children

"people today go to movies to watch movement over story, and then you get something like the 3rd episode of the matrix"

Be sure to check out: www.youtube.com/hajimenojmo and his top 50 anime at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngwg5N5APw
ParaParaJMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Xaravir
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
xaravir, i think you have the wrong thread - this is for spirits within, not advent children ^_^;

Yeah, I was replying to the post above me. Didn't make that clear.

As for Spirits Within, It was okay, but it was too technical for non-fans (like me). The story seemed to pace itself slowly and the ending didn't make sense.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
noone
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
there's a quote by tomino that applies to this and advent children

"people today go to movies to watch movement over story, and then you get something like the 3rd episode of the matrix"

lol - i bought the dvd, but it's pretty much the same thing. the trailer appealed to me :)

matrix 2 & 3 and pirates of the caribbean 2 & 3 were indeed bad :(

but AC is not that - it doesn't intend more than to get people interested in the charas' background story. i am not playing FF - not any PS game as a matter of fact, so i watched these movies (AC, SW and the ova) for the fun of it.

i wasn't expecting any dramatic change in my life. it was pure entertainment, anime-physics related :)

and i was entertained, especially by the soundtrack :)
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaravir View Post
As for Spirits Within, It was okay, but it was too technical for non-fans (like me).
Actually Spirits Within is far more geared towards non-fans as well as fans alike than FF:AC. Spirits Within has no links whatsoever to the games apart from some terminology e.g. Gaia. It had an intriguing premise and spun a coherent story, but just totally lacked any kind of tension. I have a feeling the problem was that it was too rushed and thus too pointless for the massive epic battle it wanted to portray. Advent Children, on the other hand, is not just incoherent as a story, but pretty much makes nothing but shallow attempts to delve into its characters. The reason it had lots of tension though was because the fights were ridiculously delicious (and the movie was about 90% fights anyway), and the soundtrack was a story all of its own. So even non-fans could enjoy it on some level.

I don't think there are even many hardcore FF fans who enjoyed Spirits Within. Strangely, though, I thought it'd be an awful idea to recommend Advent Children to non-fans. Seems I might be wrong...

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Bixie
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

I loved Advent Children. Would I like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within? Are the
graphics as good?

Sig and Avatar by Sandbar
Chibis by DeusVult
Thanks guys
MEMBER #7 OF THE ANTI-CLUB
MEMBER #4 OF THE GAMER'S CLUB
PTGW OF GWAP
Bixie is offline   Reply With Quote