New feature: bigger character images! - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Site Information > Site Announcements

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
sothis
Overlord

Default New feature: bigger character images!

As I've mentioned recently in another announcement, we're looking at redesigning the site to be more visually appealing and easier to use.

We've already released the anime cover images, and now are rolling out bigger character images. This way, when the redesign happens, we'll be able to display larger images (without having to redo the work at that point). The images will still look small when you're on the character entry right now, but you'll now be able to click the image, just like with screenshots/anime covers, to see a bigger version.

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE! click the image to see the big size. Here's another example.

Images have a max width of 400 pixels (and downscale if a wider version is submitted), and a max height of around 600. They can be a variable size, unlike the old guidelines which were very specific (exact width of 130, and height between 180-200).

Since we always saved the images small in the past, this means we'll have to work on replacing the character images. It'll take some time, and we're looking for your help to do so!

For any series that look like they have good images - meaning, any series from the last few years that's really complete and has good quality shots, or any popular movies like ghibli, or the massive One Piece/Naruto/Bleach franchises, we're hoping that the community can help find bigger replacements.

We're hoping that if people are planning on rewatching any of these, that you'll keep your eye out for the EXACT SAME SHOTS, as that will make moderating them VERY EASY and we can start replacing them quickly. For series that aren't as complete, or that have poor images (like super close up shots, super dark shots, etc), you could look for a better pic instead if you want.

To add a new picture for a character, go to the character's entry page, click 'edit this character' underneath the image, and then add the new image. Submissions are logged in the Character Submissions section and dealt with by moderators.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for your support of Anime-Planet!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Garyuu
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Re: New feature: bigger character images!

I'm hoping we will be better at adding characters.

Help Needed: Verify these Character Submissions! - Anime-Planet forum

I don't think there should be 37 pages. I don't know how much time I spent getting pictures, and adding characters to only get it added to this board. It just gets buried to never been seen again. Last time I added all of the major characters to Space Symphony Maetel. None of them were added.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
vernanonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyuu View Post

I don't think there should be 37 pages. I don't know how much time I spent getting pictures, and adding characters to only get it added to this board. It just gets buried to never been seen again. Last time I added all of the major characters to Space Symphony Maetel. None of them were added.
The problem is, we have to personally verify everything that goes through. The other problem is we all have lives outside of AP. I'm barely able to keep up with the series I actively work on at times, personally.

That doesn't mean it'll never happen though. That's all just stuff we couldn't deal with at the moment. Sometimes we sweep through and try to take care of some stuff. But without having seen a series, it's really hard to verify information.

Still. We do what we can. And it'll be easier to verify images on characters who already have images, as it's really something we already have, just upgraded, so to speak.

Pokemon X Info:
vernanonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
sothis
Overlord

Yeah - our bar for quality is the bottleneck, and the solution is to get a bigger team of mods onboard who can help. For what it's worth, our coverage of new season series is FANTASTIC, we fill in characters extremely fast and our team covers the majority of all series in a given season, if not all.

Older series are tougher - we fill them in as we can but more mods = easier to confirm :)

So if badass regulars like you, Garyuu, are willing to train/become char mods, that'll solve the problem :D

Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
randomredneck

Send a message via Skype™ to randomredneck

Hey, if you're looking, I could be a character mod.

My Claims, etc.
randomredneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
Tyranid5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyuu View Post

I apologize since i moved most of your submissions to help needed when i was still a mod.

When I was still a mod a major problem with the massive backlog that is in the different sections. The 37 pages you see there is a lot to dig through. Separating out the franchises section to make help needed slightly easier to surf through helped, but, there is an additional back log that has been left behind, because postponing threads seemed like a good idea at some point in time. These threads were moved into Completed with a [Postponed] tag.

There's probably still over 200+ of those postponed submissions to deal with...... lots of work ahead for a team that lost a lot of mods. They've been doing better of late. So have faith

Tyranid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
sothis
Overlord

Quote:
lots of work ahead for a team that lost a lot of mods
not sure what this is in reference to - only a very small handful of mods have either stepped down or been removed since the initial group years ago (when there weren't many guidelines and it was more of a first pass situation), and many new mods have been added onboard. the team hasn't significantly shrunk nor has it lost a lot of mods.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Tyranid5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
not sure what this is in reference to - only a very small handful of mods have either stepped down or been removed since the initial group years ago (when there weren't many guidelines and it was more of a first pass situation), and many new mods have been added onboard. the team hasn't significantly shrunk nor has it lost a lot of mods.
Most of the mods you removed were mostly inactive anyways. Even i wasn't that active around the time i left. I was more referring to the long gap between finding new mods that occurred.

Redneck always had solid submissions when i was a mod. Along with him and a couple of other good submitters you've gotten a good crop of people that could be trained lately. Good luck. Have fun

Edit: ....hmmm, i don't know why. But the banana isn't dancing in FF20 for whatever reason. I open Chrome and it's fine though. I'll submit a bug report if this persists. I'll clear out my cache tomorrow and re-check.

Tyranid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
DontStay
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to DontStay Send a message via Yahoo to DontStay Send a message via Skype™ to DontStay

^ I use FF20 and the banana is dancing like there's no tomorrow for me.

I like the feature, looks like helluva lot of work though. I often watch old shows, could keep an eye for the exact same screens.

Stats/Claims:
DontStay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
sothis
Overlord

it will be indeed - honestly i should have allowed big images since the beginning and just downscaled, lesson learned, we'll be moving over big image functionality for other things too (like people images) and that way no matter how the design changes, we have the right content :)