Gantz - Anime-Planet forum
Why register?

make an anime and manga list, and more! all free!

Theme

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
BelYaun
Anime Fan in Training

Default Gantz

Gantz

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

I've been watching too much anime lately so I decided to start this thread on Gantz...there's probably one already out but my computer is freaking out and freezes up a lot when I hit search..

Which character was your favorite and why?

I'm still confused about the ending...

May be too much to handle

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 02-11-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Edited to use newer header format.
BelYaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
Allanon

Default GANTZ, why do they have to ruin it?

IŽm watching GANTZ right now and has almost finished it. And it makes me so sad to see that they ruin what could have been an excellent anime by making the characters so non-belivable. The serie starts up with a nice and dark episode where they die in the subway and nobody really lifts a hand to help them, marking some of the fact that mankind has become deaf and blind to everything that that doesnt directly concern themselves. And it also shows how modern violence has influenced man in becoming deaf, blind and totally immune to it, leaving them to almost wanting the violence and with a small desire for it.
But that is where it all stops. Character reactions are sometimes so impossible to indentify yourself with that you almost want to throw the TV out the window. They sometimes act and react like total retards. You can indentify yourself with a crazy serialkiller if you just make him trustworthy as a character and that he reacts in a logical way according to the background you give him. But in this series thay have not succeded with that. And that makes me somewhat sad, because i can see the good intentions in it but it doesnt go all the way. IsŽnt there someone in the TV-companys that watch these animes first that can tell the creator that the characters could need modifications to make people belive in them and so on?........
Old 07-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
DistMan
Otaku

Default Re: GANTZ, why do they have to ruin it?

That's what happens when Gonzo tries to make their own ending. It followed the manga pretty closely up till the "shrine arc", from there on it's all gonzo

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster."
///-=DistMan=-
DistMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Allanon

HaveŽnt read the manga so i can say nothing there. But i can say i dont like most of the monsters either. Perhaps they work in the manga, but in the anime they just look like something a 7 year old kid would come up with.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Mercurial Morpheus
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via AIM to Mercurial Morpheus Send a message via MSN to Mercurial Morpheus Send a message via Yahoo to Mercurial Morpheus

Gantz is a concept I found rather intriguing. Execution wise it was abysmal. THe show so reaks of being a back burner project. Subpar animations, really stupid camera work, and so on point to a "who cares about this, so let's mess around a bit to test for when a real project comes along". That, and the TV editing made it unwatchable back when it aired.

It sounds like you take issue with the concept itself, not just Gonzo's poor treatment of it. I've been meaning to read the manga myself. I'm not going to bother with the rest of the series for awhile.

Just me two cents.

"There is a real world; just nobody lives there", Baycon 03
The Haisho, A Place to Call 'Home'
Mercurial Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
sevencreature
Anime Fan in Training

I don't care about Gantz anime one bit. So I recommend you to read excellent G. manga and forget about anime - lol - just my 2 cents...
sevencreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
sothis
Overlord

wow, i thought gantz was amazing, personally. the ending was indeed ass, but the sheer excess of violence and everything else made it very powerful.

http://www.anime-planet.com/reviews/241.html
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
sevencreature
Anime Fan in Training

sothis: Well I like manga much much more - mainly because the really good part starts later

Edit: Reading Gantz was awesome experience. Well, and end (of first manga stage) is nice.
sevencreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
sothis
Overlord

indeed, i dont read manga so i know series can probalby suck comparitively (just like live action movies versus the books they are based on) :) i've heard that about gantz actually, that the manga is much better.
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Arkaerial
Narumon Z

Send a message via ICQ to Arkaerial Send a message via AIM to Arkaerial

Really? was it that bad? I stopped watching it when they took the anime in a completely different direction.

Sothis, it is one manga I would highly recommend reading. I'm not a big manga reader, but this one is actually worth it.
Arkaerial is offline   Reply With Quote