Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
SeiyaManG
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Re: Anime-Planet's stance on harassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussolini View Post
I mean that I do not much like these posts:

More properly, some part of the sentiment that they represent (deliberately or not) strikes me as not quite on the mark, so to speak. If you would like me to further elaborate, perhaps this conversation would be better continued in private (and that is an open invitation, not just one to the old man).
While I am more on the side of people like you and Gin on this issue, we shouldn't turn this thread into part 2 of this.

Pro Sports Thread: We Like Sportz and We Don't Care Who Knows

The Artist Formerly Known As Poopyhead
SeiyaManG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #22
Raven
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Raven

I would believe some of this stems from dumb users who interrupt the harmony of anime planet's openness and generally maturity (that's I've always noted was waaaay above other communities).

I can't remember the name of all of them, but a few users here lately were trolling/flamebaiting or just making groups of people so fucking angry (I know because I am in AP chat) in the anime forums. I think if you allow people to act like idiots, there's going to be a clash with intelligent people, because they do not work together.

I don't get along with stupid people either, but I generally just disregard them. I'm not saying innocent people weren't bullied, but I think the bulk of people receiving it are clashing with AP's general tone (which is intelligence and maturity).

The question is, what are you going to do about it?

I've been on forums where a new member joins and he just gets attacked for no reason at all. This place isn't like that, we have a nice intro forum and we welcome new comers. I can't say much more, since I haven't seen these harassing comments in user reviews myself. But it probably stemmed from the forum first.

It isn't just a question of the act itself, it's important to ask the question why. Without understanding the motivations behind the act, you are powerless.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Freelance User Interface Designer and Web Application Developer

www.daquanwright.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Exorcisti
Anime Fan in Training

''If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.''

This could be considered the basis of what you need to know in order to be mildly nice. What is so difficult about that? I do not know, but apparently it is just too great of a task for some people. Quite sad if you ask me.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
PinkyIvan
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to PinkyIvan

This was made before rori got banned since this is about him as all of you must know. How it was on the other forums and stuff.
2. Rorico's Podcasts (Planet Tyro - June 2012, part1) - YouTube

PinkyIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
AirCommodore
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to AirCommodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I would believe some of this stems from dumb users who interrupt the harmony of anime planet's openness and generally maturity (that's I've always noted was waaaay above other communities).

I can't remember the name of all of them, but a few users here lately were trolling/flamebaiting or just making groups of people so fucking angry (I know because I am in AP chat) in the anime forums. I think if you allow people to act like idiots, there's going to be a clash with intelligent people, because they do not work together.

I don't get along with stupid people either, but I generally just disregard them. I'm not saying innocent people weren't bullied, but I think the bulk of people receiving it are clashing with AP's general tone (which is intelligence and maturity).
It's not "dumb" users that disrupt the forum/whatever, it's assholes. These terms are not interchangeable. It's really annoying and elitist when the nerd community (all of it, not just you) uses "stupid" or similar as insults because spoiler alert: people that are less intelligent than you (by whatever arbitrary standards) aren't worth less as people, and have just as much right to the community. Furthermore, "stupid people" are usually just the result of not having access to the same high-quality education (due to socioeconomic class, or whatever) that most nerd-types do, since nerd-types tend to be overwhelmingly upper-middle class.
Cut it out.

Sorry for the mini-rant, this is a pet peeve of mine.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
Pidjiken

Send a message via MSN to Pidjiken Send a message via Skype™ to Pidjiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyIvan View Post
This was made before rori got banned since this is about him as all of you must know. How it was on the other forums and stuff.
2. Rorico's Podcasts (Planet Tyro - June 2012, part1) - YouTube
I like how he skirts responsibility for his actions by blaming the users for his bans, then he claims it's because of people under 20 that gets him banned, and after which he bullshits any reason any admin has given him as to the reason for his bans.

That's just frustrating. The simple fact of the matter is he has been banned from 3 of the major anime forums now, and I implore anyone to look up the publicly posted reasons for his bans, as opposed to listening to him lie about it. The fact he envisions himself as a shounen hero as a result is absurd.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
vernanonix

I listened to a bit of that video just to see what he had to say. And I mean, I can get behind someone willing to talk about the negative sides of an anime. However, the only thing I ever saw him do was come back week after week to talk down about the anime. He showed no respect for people trying to enjoy a given show. Any explanation you might have given him against his statements were disregarded as if what you had to say had no value.

I was never aware of any "group harassment" that he was involved in, but I felt like discussions in the anime discussion threads lost a lot of quality whenever he came around. That's where my biggest complaint came from. And because of that, I stopped frequenting the discussion forum for a while because I knew what I'd find.

Anyway, there's a sarcastic saying that the "Internet is serious business." Of course, people don't feel a personal responsibility when being disrespectful to someone. That's the big problem here. Such a cynical person came around and disrupted our community. I'm wondering if it's necessary to revamp the community guidelines...

Pokemon X Info:
vernanonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #28
AirCommodore
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to AirCommodore

^Harassment was mostly site-side, not on the forums. From my understanding, at any rate.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #29
PinkyIvan
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to PinkyIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernanonix View Post
I listened to a bit of that video just to see what he had to say. And I mean, I can get behind someone willing to talk about the negative sides of an anime. However, the only thing I ever saw him do was come back week after week to talk down about the anime. He showed no respect for people trying to enjoy a given show. Any explanation you might have given him against his statements were disregarded as if what you had to say had no value.

I was never aware of any "group harassment" that he was involved in, but I felt like discussions in the anime discussion threads lost a lot of quality whenever he came around. That's where my biggest complaint came from. And because of that, I stopped frequenting the discussion forum for a while because I knew what I'd find.

Anyway, there's a sarcastic saying that the "Internet is serious business." Of course, people don't feel a personal responsibility when being disrespectful to someone. That's the big problem here. Such a cynical person came around and disrupted our community. I'm wondering if it's necessary to revamp the community guidelines...
Funny how I feel there were more discussions when he was around, you can't see that now because a big part of his posts and the discussions they started were removed as flame bates and troll posts but that's another story. I agree on the part he should have shown more respect.

PinkyIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #30
r18
Ojii-san

true there were more discussions ....but a lot of them were centered on what a jerk he was being...and had little to do with the anime being discussed before the disruption....i hate seeing anyone banned because i'm a big softy and would give endless chances...but sothis can't be too lenient......as it is her responsibility to make anime planet the kind of place we now have...i don't think many would want this to degreade into a standard web site were flame wars and insults are the norm....

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

look into my face children ....it is i that you shall become...

r18 is offline   Reply With Quote