Anime-Planet will be moving domain registrars soon (and, the recent downtime) - Page 3 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Site Information > Site Announcements

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
sothis
Overlord

Default Re: Anime-Planet will be moving domain registrars soon (and, the recent downtime)

yeah that would have nothing to do with this - occasionally people have seen issues like that, i think it's related to a race condition with some of the triggers, it's being investigated

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Drahken
Cross-eyed Cyclops

Default Re: Anime-Planet will be moving domain registrars soon (and, the recent downtime)

There's one problem with the godaddy explanation though. Supposedly godaddy went out from 10am PDT to 4pm PDT monday. BUT a-p was down SUNDAY night. I believe it was around 11pm eastern when I first noticed a-p was down, which would put it at around 8pm PDT SUNDAY night, more than 12hrs before the reported start of godaddy's problem. I wonder if the problem hit a few of godaddy's sites before it hit the bulk of them, or if there was a second issue going on with a-p?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
Nox
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahken View Post
There's one problem with the godaddy explanation though. Supposedly godaddy went out from 10am PDT to 4pm PDT monday. BUT a-p was down SUNDAY night. I believe it was around 11pm eastern when I first noticed a-p was down, which would put it at around 8pm PDT SUNDAY night, more than 12hrs before the reported start of godaddy's problem. I wonder if the problem hit a few of godaddy's sites before it hit the bulk of them, or if there was a second issue going on with a-p?
Just before it went down there were lag spikes and at times refused connections to the server. Mangina even made a post about it before it went down asking if something was wrong. Considering the site gradually died rather then a sudden crash I suspect DDoS started a lot sooner then they say it did.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Drahken
Cross-eyed Cyclops

The articles which give the 10am-4pm timeframe also claim that it wasn't an attack, that it was some datafiles that got corrupted. How much truth there is to the statement is anyone's guess. (Although it seems to me like it would be more advantageous to lie in the other direction. If I were using godaddy, I would feel much more comfortable thinking that the outage was due to an attack (something completely outside of the company's control) than something like corrupted files (which casts doubt upon the reliability of the company & their products/services).)
CBS article
cnet article
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Ketsuron
Otaku

Send a message via ICQ to Ketsuron

I'm not sure what were worse, getting "hacked (DDoS:ed)" or not being able to avoid corrupted files

I've read the FAQ. Did you? | My Site Account
Ketsuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Nox
Otaku

^Pretty much. One means you're to cheap to get decent security the other means you're incompetent.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
Aranneas
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Send a message via Skype™ to Aranneas

as said, if it was an attack it was not a DDoS but something more sophisticated. it's the same guy that claimed responsibility for the attacks on the FBI websites a while ago. I doubt it's a question of security budget at that point.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #28
sothis
Overlord

godaddy's explanation of 6 hours is bs - if you're talking about their response on twitter, it's unfounded. they keep getting messages from people who are still having issues, far after their supposed downtime.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
sothis
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranneas View Post
the latter. ap was also down for a while after godaddy thought it should have been restored. the initial response from them indicated that they thought there was also a problem hosting side (but obviously this was not the case and whatever the additional problem was it's since also been fixed)
please note, i'd appreciate it if no one answered definitively about why something did or didn't happen, unless they are staff (which means only me). because unless you're me or have the level of access i do (or the conversations i have with the host, companies, etc) it comes across as if you are in the loop to unaware users that are reading. spreads false information and all of that.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #30
Aranneas
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Send a message via Skype™ to Aranneas

understood. removed the post in question.