Haibane Renmei - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
PockyBebop
Narumon Z

Default Haibane Renmei

Haibane Renmei

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

This is something that I happened to think of one day:

You are welcomed to add your own thoughts and clarify the subject!

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 10-01-2008 at 01:44 AM.
PockyBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
styln
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Haibane Renmei: Does Guri/Glee = Limbo?

Then what are all the people who live in the town represent?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
DeusVult
Otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to DeusVult Send a message via Skype™ to DeusVult

I could give pages and pages what I think about this since Im a huge fan of Haibane Renmei but I think this person has summed up best (which concur with my own thoughts) the anime.

The city of Glie
http://cff.ssw.net/episodes/glie.htm

What are the Haibane
http://cff.ssw.net/episodes/haibane.htm

This page talks about the symbolisms.
http://cff.ssw.net/main/symbolism.htm

Hope some of this may be helpful, but remember its still all speculation as we are never told by the author.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
DeusVult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Cetonis

Last edited by sothis; 02-20-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Cetonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
DemonRoach
Banned

I think one should come up with their own idea, and not compare it to a religion like that guy from ssw.net did, else you will get the wrong idea just like he did.
DemonRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Sheex
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetonis View Post
For my part, I actually make an effort to avoid coming to any particular answer or line of reasoning. I feel like having it "solved" in one's mind would sort if tarnish the beauty of the work, or something along those lines -.-'
I completely agree. I absolutely loved Haibane Renmei, but I've made a point not to try to analyze it. In fact, regardless of all its inherent symbolism, I made a point to take it almost exclusively at face value, as even at that its storytelling and emotional impact are superb. Trying to delve too deep into its roots would feel as if I were perverting my enjoyment, so I tend to try to avoid doing so whenever possible.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
DeusVult
Otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to DeusVult Send a message via Skype™ to DeusVult

Being an engineer I've been hardwired to find meaning and explanation to everything. Thus is one of the reasons why I like this series so much cause it leaves a lot open to interpretation and discussion. It may be best to take something at "face value" but I have to figure out everything, what it means, and how it all correlates to each other. In other words it makes me think.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
DeusVult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Sheex
Narumon Z

I certainly see where you're coming from Deus; I'm a (studying) engineer myself. However, I'm also an author, and when it comes to my appreciation of things such as anime, I tend to focus more on the art of storytelling rather than the inspiration behind it. That's what I meant about taking series at "face value."

I also agree with you that anime that make you think are best - Kino no Tabi is another great example. Personally, though, I tend to avoid trying to dig too deeply into the author's philosophy behind his work, especially considering eastern philosophy is a turnoff for me to begin with.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
Sandineyes
Narumon Z

I'm not sure I agree about taking stories at face value and merely recognizing that there is symbolism in it. Sure delving into the story and trying to get some symbolic meaning out of it is much dirtier and less elegant than simply enjoying the catchy soundbytes, but I don't believe that it adulterates the story at all. Even if the author didn't intend for any symbolic meaning to exist in the work, I believe that if one is found, then it is still valid.

Last edited by sothis; 02-20-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Sandineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Sheex
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandineyes View Post
I'm not sure I agree about taking stories at face value and merely recognizing that there is symbolism in it. Sure delving into the story and trying to get some symbolic meaning out of it is much dirtier and less elegant than simply enjoying the catchy soundbytes, but I don't believe that it adulterates the story at all. Even if the author didn't intend for any symbolic meaning to exist in the work, I believe that if one is found, then it is still valid.
I suppose, but it depends on your motives. Because most anime that aim to be largely symbolic tend to indoctrinate themselves with similar philosophies to those found in eastern mysticism, I try to avoid prying too deeply into their "true" meanings. As I mentioned before, what I found most appealing about Haibane Renmei was its masterful telling of its story and the fact that its symbolism was natural rather than forced, and I'd hesitate in labeling that as merely enjoying soundbytes. Personally, I don't correlate breaking down symbolism with intellectual validity - just because a work is symbolic does not mean that its symbolism should be dissected. I'm not disputing the validity of breaking down symbolism in the appreciation of a work, but rather noting that the refusal to break said symbolism down is equally as intellectually valid (and prosperous, in my opinion.) I dealt with enough existentialist symbolism in analyzing Albert Camus' The Stranger to last me a life time back when I was in high school. :P