Your input needed: what user review upgrades would you like? - Page 4 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Site Information > Site Announcements

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
Raven
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Raven
Default Re: Your input needed: what user review upgrades would you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
i think the likelyhood of people <3'ing a shitty review is pretty low compared to how often itll be used for the right reason. the reverse is definitely not the case (ive seen this play out on other prominent sites before) - generally people mark thumbs down/disagree/etc if they disagree, way more often than 'this review is bad'
I agree with sothis. It's more productive that people read a review and feel it gets the point across clearly, versus down voting it because it doesn't fit their own score (which could demotivate people too). Naturally the ones that aren't voted on, are the ones that aren't gaining enough attention and not quite up to snuff.

User reviews are generally free flowing (in terms of what you actually talk about). If you want to raise the quality of them, perhaps in the review content area when you write one, place the labels within the box (labels such as story, music, animation, etc.). So that this promotes people talking about their experience with the most prominent aspects of anime, versus their own rant on a series. Or something similar, something that raises the quality of user reviews (which is better for AP in general).

I think a 'featured' user reviews feature and an up vote button is definitely necessary for making them more visible. Aside from that, all you need is a catalyst to bump up the quality of community user submitted reviews.

So it should go like this:

1) Users write user submitted reviews

2) Either review gets up voted or no voted.

3) Up voted reviews go to the cycle of 'featured' user reviews and gain more visibility.

With that being said, you probably should have some form of quality control crew on the lookout for any unworthy reviews that get up voted, just to make sure everything is going according to plan.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Freelance User Interface Designer and Web Application Developer

www.daquanwright.com

Last edited by Raven; 06-23-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
roriconfan
Banned
Experienced Anime Fan

Find some trustworthy people to be review judges. They will have the privilage to delete a review if they find it useless or troll and in the case they find it very usefull or well written they will give it 1000 thumbs up and it goes up in the list of reviews for a specific anime.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
MOJ
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
So it should go like this:

1) Users write user submitted reviews

2) Either review gets up voted or no voted.

3) Up voted reviews go to the cycle of 'featured' user reviews and gain more visibility.
I second that. Love the featured reviews bit.

I do not know if this has been brought up before or not but the "reviews" tab on the anime pages tends to be really confusing. What i mean is that many animes have alt names and once someone writes a review, his/her review has two links. Now when more people write reviews on the same anime, they all get two links. This creates a whole list of links that makes it harder for others to choose different reviews. Though this may be a small problem, making the reviews tab more organized and appealing might help with the overall image of this site.

As for the review quality themselves, that is dependent on the person writing the review. Focus should be given to motivate the writers to write understandable reviews. I agree with sothis that <3 and </3 buttons will only be abused. The only option is a "review police". Selected people who go around with a set of rules and judge user reviews based on those rules.

My Claims!!! Thanks LitaDee!!!
MOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #34
drowningthoughts
Narumon Z

eh, I was not sure if you all were talking about the review tab on each anime/manga profile. If so id have a few ideas. Well currently I don't think I've ever looked at one of them because it's easier to just scroll down and look at the user recommendations. Besides that each review is linked to different pages so id vote for a secondary tab just for user reviews besides the more professional ones. Maybe have it replace the old screenshots tab sense theres no use for it besides pointing.

anyway the idea was on the tab ud have the user title for the review (i think another post mentioned about theme titles sounded kinda cool) and have the review setup as in a spoiler box so u could scroll down and look at reviews without a fuss...more user friendly

...i hope im talking about the samething as everyone else

drowningthoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #35
roriconfan
Banned
Experienced Anime Fan

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Anime Review by DJCooL4 | Anime-Planet

What are you supposed to do in this situation? If you ignore it, he will keep doing it. If you tell him to cut it out, he will say the mods don't mind. If you tell him to delete it, he will tell you to go to hell. REVIEW POLICE NAOU!
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #36
Raven
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Anime Review by DJCooL4 | Anime-Planet

What are you supposed to do in this situation? If you ignore it, he will keep doing it. If you tell him to cut it out, he will say the mods don't mind. If you tell him to delete it, he will tell you to go to hell. REVIEW POLICE NAOU!
Lol, a review like that should never get up voted. If it somehow does, a mod could just remove it from the cycle.

Freelance User Interface Designer and Web Application Developer

www.daquanwright.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #37
hoffstyle
Otaku

Make it so "official reviewers" can bubble the reviews up or down yet retaining the <3 or dislike option. You put the power of the reviews going to the top in the end users hands, everyone who rates a review of let's say "Elfen Lied" badly are going to get dumped on because we all know certain fanbases get violently angry if you dare present an opposing view.

Or change the options for "I found this review funny/yada/yada" to include regular community reviews.

hoffstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #38
veggiegirl
Narumon Z

It would be nice if you could make a list of characters, like how you can make a list of shows
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #39
Viduus
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
It would be nice if you could make a list of characters, like how you can make a list of shows
Well... you kinda can, with the "I <3" and "I </3" tabs.
You know what my days used to be like? I just tested. Nobody murdered me. Or put me in a potato. Or fed me to birds. I had a pretty good life. And then you showed up. You dangerous mute lunatic. So you know what? Just... go. It's been fun. Don't come back.

Viduus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #40
NicoNicoDesu
Anime Fan in Training

While I do think that the <3 button is a good idea, having the "funniest," "most helpful," etc. buttons would be useful for people looking for certain types of reviews. Another thing you could do is include a short excerpt from a review. That way it is obvious if a review is a troll or whatever.
And I don't want to sound like a troll or anything, but are you still taking applications to become a site reviewer?

+ A claim on Mangina-sama.

Last edited by NicoNicoDesu; 07-14-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Additional idea
NicoNicoDesu is offline   Reply With Quote