Anime-Planet's stance on harassment - Anime-Planet forum
Why register?

make an anime and manga list, and more! all free!

Theme

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Site Information > Site Announcements

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
sothis
Overlord

Default Anime-Planet's stance on harassment

I generally try to keep site announcements to exciting new features, calls for feedback and other positive things about the community. Unfortunately, today I need to post something a little different, but more important - Anime-Planet's stance on harassment on the site.

Something I've always valued and appreciated is Anime-Planet's community - we generally are a respectful, inclusive bunch. and have been relatively free of trolls. Something I personally try to focus on is ensuring that all users can expect the following when visiting Anime-Planet:
  1. All users are entitled and allowed to post their opinions, as long as the opinions are respectful and are not personal attacks on another user - whether the opinion be via a recommendation, review, discussion thread post, etc.
  2. All users are entitled to these opinions without being bullied or harassed by any other site user or moderator.

I've banned very few (non spambot) people on the site in the entire site's history - most of which were related to the above items, and all of which were after a repeated set of chances on good faith. Today was another one of those rare days, and rather than keep it hidden away, I think it's important to post something public to reiterate these values. The reason being, even more concerning than this person's long term behavior is the fact that others have begun acting the same, leaving disrespectful, bullying comments on reviews and also profiles when prompted to as a group.

I believe doing so erodes the amazing community spirit we have here, discourages people to participate, and encourages the same bad behavior that has infected other communities out there. I believe that it doesn't matter how much content someone adds to the site - if they do so with a mean spirited or self righteous mindset, it is far more damaging to the community than the content contributes to it.

So that everyone here can feel empowered to post their opinions and participate in the community here as equals, I want to be clear that bullying and harassment are not tolerated here by any user, whether a normal user or moderator alike.

If you feel that you've been the target of harassment, the right solution is to contact the staff so that it can be investigated or so action can be taken. The right solution is not to go on a campaign to bully someone.

If you feel that reviews or recommendations aren't helpful (for example, that reviews are too short or 'are not reviews'), you are welcome to leave feedback in the feature requests section of the forum - currently there are plans to make the review section more helpful, for example. The right solution is not to go onto those reviews and attack the reviewer, say the review is shit, etc. If action needs to be taken, that's the staff's job to carry out.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask or voice them - part of what makes the community here amazing is that people are free to respectfully express what they wish.

Your loyal leader,
~sothis

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
sothis
Overlord

Default Re: Anime-Planet's stance on harassment

Something else I forgot to mention is that if you're reporting something like this, please do not delete the content (review comment, profile comment, etc) first, as I need to see the content to be able to help.

Adding Anime - Synopsis Templates | Twitter | MySpace

[sixth sense voice] I SEE BRITISH PEOPLE - Control my signature or avatar!
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

As someone who has been following discussion in newspapers, magazines, and online fora about online bullying, and feels very very passionately about the issue, I can only reiterate that AP is one of those places I've always felt had struck the right tone.

Online harrassment/bullying is harmful to real life people and is totally not okay under any circumstances. It is not funny or cool or in any way part of 'freedom of expression'. So bravo to sothis for continuing to uphold a culture of mutual respect at Anime-Planet. Why I continue to love this place.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
r18
Ojii-san

sothis is more than fair and more than tolerant of peoples rights to free expression...you really have to be asking ...no demanding to be banned before she will accommodated your obvious desire not to be part of this community...i'm glad i don't have this task ....i would not be nearly as nice as sothis is....her creation of anime planet and keeping it a place were every one can feel that they are respected and valued is an amazing accomplishment...this is why i support anime planet in every way i can....

look into my face children ....it is i that you shall become...

r18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
Pidjiken

Send a message via MSN to Pidjiken Send a message via Skype™ to Pidjiken

Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
vernanonix

If it's who I think it is, I'm glad you made this move. And apparently they were banned from MAL recently as well so at least they're consistent. I have no remorse for punishments taken to people like that. However, I have to wonder if anything is stopping them from coming back. I would rather not see their shenanigans in Specific Anime Discussions continue.

Pokemon X Info:
vernanonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
About7Narwhal
Narumon Z

I cannot say that I have noticed this. Though I have not been looking either. I am sure we all feel similarly upset when you watch an awesome anime or read a great manga then read a review that expresses the exact opposite opinion. But most of us acknowledge it as just that, their opinion. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, but most of the time we accept the difference and move on. It is unfortunate that some people are not open to different opinions.

I will be writing up a few reviews during the Christmas season. They are going to be my first ones, so I guess we will see how bad it can be; I am a horrible writer. D:

About7Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
randomredneck

Send a message via Skype™ to randomredneck

Yay, Boss Sothis!

My Claims, etc.
randomredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Garyuu

Stuff seems to always happen when I'm away for a few days.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Ketsuron
Otaku

Send a message via ICQ to Ketsuron

I welcome improvements and clear standpoint regarding that issue.
Speaking of contact, I have sent you an E-Mail on Nov. 3rd covering various topics, but i still hope that it actually made it to the inbox and being read.

I've read the FAQ. Did you? | My Site Account
Ketsuron is offline   Reply With Quote