Millennium Actress

cheol

Millennium Actress
Alt title: Sennen Joyuu

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

i just finished this movie in the span of 3 days of watching it.

it totally ruined the emotion and setting of the movie.
its just i was tired alot and couldnt finish it.

boy! but i do really regret watching it this late in the game.

this is such a great movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
An absolutely wonderful, astounding work of art.

It's been so long since I've seen the film. It's one of my top anime but unfortunately it's only available in Japanese audio. The animation is top notch. It's definitely a film that has tremendous replay value in my eyes.

I need to go back and run a check on the artist/director and see if he/she has anymore works out there in the market that can be had.

Oh god that movie was messed up. All it got was stellar reviews, and I was left sitting there thinking 'What the christ?'

Not that it was hard to understand, just that it was so rajjed beyond belief.

I love movies that messes with my mind. Any abstract is heavenly for me. I don't recall the specifics of "Perfect Blue." I've seen it once and will get around to watching it a second time. I'm glad there was an English audio track available; I had always had the impression that it was only in Japanese which is the reason why I hesitated to pick it up. I'm glad it still stands strong in my collection.

what is it about basicly?

(Note: Had this movie been in English audio it would probably be in my top five of all time.)

What is it all about?

Millennium Actress Trailer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE

AniRec Database
https://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/238.html

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Ac...=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196203247&sr=8-1
www.amazon.com said:
Plot Synopsis: A movie studio is being torn down. TV interviewer Genya Tachibana has tracked down its most famous star, Chiyoko Fujiwara, who has been a recluse since she left acting some 30 years ago. Tachibana delivers a key to her, and it causes her to reflect on her career; as she's telling the story, Tachibana and his long-suffering cameraman are drawn in. The key was given to her as a teenager by a painter and revolutionary that she helped to escape the police. She becomes an actress because it will make it possible to track him down, and she spends the next several decades acting out that search in various genres and eras.

Both Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue are excellent movies. Perfect Blue is a psychological thriller where the actress (and you the viewer) can't figure out what is reality and what is the show she's acting in. Millennium Actress is a kind of Alice in Wonderland walkthrough of a famous actor's life, jumping from point to point.

Millenium Actress is my favorite Kon movie. An absolute work of art in both animation and storytelling. Everything else directed by him is also top-notch. Perfect Blue is a great Hitchcock-like thriller, Tokyo Godfathers is quite funny and very underrated, and Paranoia Agent was just a great mind****!

And yes, I have my Amazon order of Paprika on its way!

BTW, Kon (can't remember his first name, Satahori?) didn't allow any dubs of his movies... and honestly I agree with this decision.

I loved Millenium Actress and...I kind of didn't. No, I'm not confused, I just have two opinions.

As what it is, it's very nearly perfect. It tells a complete story very well, has beautiful shot angles, scenes, and interesting characters. It's up there in a very small list of movies of any kind that I've ever seen that I really didn't see any glaring mistakes in. There are several places where I just marvel at Kon's skill as a director - just as I do when watching Stanley Kubrick's, Ridley Scott's or Peter Weir's best work. As I have said elsewhere, it may be the perfect anime 'gateway drug,' because it's essentially a very, very well made live-action movie done with paint and cells instead of with actors and sets.

And that's also my complaint with it. There's nothing in Millennium Actress that couldn't have been done in a live-action movie in 1955. One of the things that I truly love about anime is that it shows us things that we can't or won't ever see in live-action from your friendly purveyor of Hollywood pablum. Compare to something like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Welcome to the NHK, Mononoke, Mushishi, Serial Experiments Lain or The Place Promised in Our Early Days and note the difference.

LOVED this movie. I was almost crying by the end of it.

"... because what I enjoy the most is the search for him" (or something like that). Awesome last line!

Final thoughts:
Since this was the only other film by Satoshi Kon I hadn't seen yet, I was surprised. I think this is pretty much my favorite film from him by the time the credits were rolling. There's just something so personal about a woman who can't stop loving someone whose been gone for so long. Just want to say I loved the film and for me, its a 5/5.

Last edited:
Back