What would be a good way to start learning? - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
NekroNeko
Narumon Z

Default What would be a good way to start learning?

I got this program called Rosetta Stone which seems pretty good, but I think it'll need more than just that.

What I want to know though is what would be good to use? I'm thinking phrase books and that. Also, how many hours a day would be good practice?

I know I watch anime in Japanese, but it isn't enough on it's own and I know I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to have the subs. Not only that, I would like to go to Japan someday.

All help is welcome.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
alyss
Narumon Z

Send a message via AIM to alyss
Default Re: What would be a good way to start learning?

The best way to start learning is to start learning. The best way to continue learning is to continue learning. I'm totally serious- the more time you spend studying, however you do it, the better. The more Japanese you hear the more it'll be in your head. The more words you learn the more things you'll be able to say and understand. Etc. You should do at least a little everyday. I used to practice 2-3 hours a day, even more when i was in Japan, but half an hour a day of hard practicing will still get you there pretty fast.

More specifically, first learn some basic grammar. I can't really recommend any specific texts (because I've used so many only briefly and never found any really super good ones), but there's lots out there. If you have questions ask me or other people on the board, or maybe find some Japanese people. I made at least one really good friend that way and learned a lot from him.

As soon as you are able to understand enough (with generous use of the dictionary), try to read things in Japanese. Children's books can be good (especially western ones in Japanese), pop songs can be pretty easy sometimes too.

Oh and I almost forgot, learn hiragana and katakana as soon as possible
alyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
NekroNeko
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyss View Post
The best way to start learning is to start learning. The best way to continue learning is to continue learning. I'm totally serious- the more time you spend studying, however you do it, the better. The more Japanese you hear the more it'll be in your head. The more words you learn the more things you'll be able to say and understand. Etc. You should do at least a little everyday. I used to practice 2-3 hours a day, even more when i was in Japan, but half an hour a day of hard practicing will still get you there pretty fast.

More specifically, first learn some basic grammar. I can't really recommend any specific texts (because I've used so many only briefly and never found any really super good ones), but there's lots out there. If you have questions ask me or other people on the board, or maybe find some Japanese people. I made at least one really good friend that way and learned a lot from him.

As soon as you are able to understand enough (with generous use of the dictionary), try to read things in Japanese. Children's books can be good (especially western ones in Japanese), pop songs can be pretty easy sometimes too.

Oh and I almost forgot, learn hiragana and katakana as soon as possible
Thanks for the advice, I'll start putting an effort into getting the characters learnt. Grammer will be the toughest part I think.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Illsuions
Experienced Anime Fan

Location: *looks around* huh this looks familiar, is that a Polar Bear?
Send a message via AIM to Illsuions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekroNeko View Post
I got this program called Rosetta Stone which seems pretty good, but I think it'll need more than just that.

What I want to know though is what would be good to use? I'm thinking phrase books and that. Also, how many hours a day would be good practice?

I know I watch anime in Japanese, but it isn't enough on it's own and I know I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to have the subs. Not only that, I would like to go to Japan someday.

All help is welcome.
I have Rosetta Stone too, but I would also like to have more personal training as well. I am thinking about taking lessons from a tutor, once or twice a week. Pending I can find one and fit it into my schedule somewhere.

As far as how many hours? as many as you can do without getting burnt out and deciding to quit... The more you engulf yourself with what your trying to learn the faster you'll take it in. Though everyones different, there's only so much you can take in in one day and remember...

I would like to go to Japan someday as well, I think as soon as I know how to speak the language well enough not to be totally lost I'd go.

Here's a good reference site that is a big help to me, might help you out too.
Learn Japanese Free
Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
rockenroll4life
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to rockenroll4life Send a message via MSN to rockenroll4life Send a message via Yahoo to rockenroll4life

Yeah, I have Rosetta Stone as well. I find that it is very helpful for me. I think its a valuable tool just because you actually get a visual along with the picture. I myself am a visual learner so the more pretty pictures and art there is the better. ha ^_^. It allows me to connect a word to a picture.

Oh! and thanks Illsuion for the link. That should help me out some. And its the same way for me as well. I would love to visit Japan one day.....possibly even stay there for a while. Though I need to learn a lot more before that happens.

Official member of the anime-planet class of '07 ~ 6 years 5 months.
I read the forum rules, did you? ~ rock
rockenroll4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
BTime

Anytime someone wants to learn Japanese, I feel obliged to link this

http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
alyss
Narumon Z

Send a message via AIM to alyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekroNeko View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll start putting an effort into getting the characters learnt. Grammer will be the toughest part I think.
You're lucky, actually, because personally I think Japanese grammar is really simple in a lot of ways. It's completely ass backwards from English but it's really logical, there's no (well, only a couple) irregular verbs, no masculine feminine to memorize, very simple verb conjugations, you can toss the subject and other unnecessary words a lot of times...

What Illsuions says is true- you don't want to study so much that you get burnt out. Don't make studying a chore. I used to watch anime or sometimes when playing Japanese games I would think "I wanna speak like that" or "I wish I could understand this" and it would really motivate me a lot.
alyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
Dontais
Anime Guru

Send a message via MSN to Dontais

I'm planing on takeing japenese in a year and a haft in univ, going to go from buiness admistrative to international buisness(majoring in japenese culture and language). Looks like I have a bit to get started on before I start the classes.

How is Rosetta Stone ? I have a program that I purchased called Talk now anyone try this before?

Big Thanks to xX Yoruichi Xx for the sig and avatar.
Dontais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
zoelyn
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via MSN to zoelyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTime View Post
Anytime someone wants to learn Japanese, I feel obliged to link this

http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/
I remember that article. Love it.

As for me, I just purchased a used copy of Japanese for Dummies. Sounds basic, and I'm not expecting to be fluent, but it does come with an audio CD and is really "step by step". I'd recommend it so far.

The Top 40 Rack (my blog)
zoelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
meromex666
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to meromex666

try the japanese section

http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/

My Facebook HERE - Myspace HERE - My Deviantart HERE
meromex666 is offline   Reply With Quote