How to learn Japanese - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
AnimeLover1997
Narumon Z

Default How to learn Japanese

This might sound a bit whacked but when I'm older I want to move to Japan and become an animator. It's because I don't wanna just watch these animes I wanna MAKE them. So I talked to my parents and they think it's a good idea. But before I go there I'm gonna have to learn Japanese. I'm learning more and more about Japanese culture by watching these animes but I still don't know how to speak the language. Are there any programs that can help me learn it, should I watch more subbed anime? The reason I'm asking this so early is because I wanna start now so that when school is over I don't have to rush through it.
AnimeLover1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
eaper
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Re: How to learn Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLover1997 View Post
This might sound a bit whacked but when I'm older I want to move to Japan and become an animator. It's because I don't wanna just watch these animes I wanna MAKE them. So I talked to my parents and they think it's a good idea. But before I go there I'm gonna have to learn Japanese. I'm learning more and more about Japanese culture by watching these animes but I still don't know how to speak the language. Are there any programs that can help me learn it, should I watch more subbed anime? The reason I'm asking this so early is because I wanna start now so that when school is over I don't have to rush through it.
Take a course at a university. That is, hands down, the best way to learn the language while staying in your native country. Anyways, not to rain on your parade, but you may want to do some research about being an anime animator. They work long hours for next to nothing. Anyways, if you don't want to go to a university and have some money, look into rosseta stone.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Korath
Anime Guru

Really serious and can spare a few years then Uni is the answer... if not then you like the rest of us and make do with whatever works best for you in your spare time.

Rosetta Stone is alright, I used it for a bit. Now I more or less exclusively use TextFugu and Anki Flashcards.

.::. APUCC .::. OPCC .::. www.leonslost.co.uk .::. Media Server Guide .::.
Korath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
eaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Really serious and can spare a few years then Uni is the answer... if not then you like the rest of us and make do with whatever works best for you in your spare time.

Rosetta Stone is alright, I used it for a bit. Now I more or less exclusively use TextFugu and Anki Flashcards.
Some schools allow you take the class without being a student, as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
hoffstyle
Otaku

Don't bother, top end animators in Japan make less than 3 million yen a year. That's like 25k US and in their economy that's not near enough to pay rent. A lot of them still live at home. That's just a reality check for you. Sorry.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
hoffstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
eaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffstyle View Post
Don't bother, top end animators in Japan make less than 3 million yen a year. That's like 25k US and in their economy that's not near enough to pay rent. A lot of them still live at home. That's just a reality check for you. Sorry.
3 Million yen is like 38k a year, tbf. If you are a TOP END animator, you can live like someone that makes about 10 dollars an hour, just with 5 times the stress.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Garyuu

I've heard of some animators getting payed about $3 an hour. There was also a survey, which showed that the average annual salary for an animator is about $14,000 (1,100,000).
Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Raven

Send a message via Skype™ to Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffstyle View Post
I agree, I honestly think this career path is worthless. I've researched it before and I've read the same thing. Many animators live with their parents. They are even worried that people will stop going into the field, because it's pay is poor and work laborious.

It's basically a labor of love. Top end animators for their skill and dedication should be making at least 65k a year.....AT LEAST. And it's not even half of that.

I'd say go for being an animator in the US at a company. It might be competitive, but the pay would be much better I'm sure.

Freelance User Interface Designer and Web Application Developer

www.daquanwright.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
hoffstyle
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaper View Post
3 Million yen is like 38k a year, tbf. If you are a TOP END animator, you can live like someone that makes about 10 dollars an hour, just with 5 times the stress.
Yes, current exchange rate makes it 37,803 US but again that is top tier. No one is going to break in to that market from another country and make top end pay. Given the current anime market situation and the fact that Companies are contracting their animation work out to other countries (Korea etc) it's a fruitless exercise.

Other things to realize is that you don't just get a work visa, and go to work in Japan. There's a process there too. You have to have a degree and take work in wanted fields. You also don't just find an apartment, turn on utilities and go to work and everything will be butter..there's a process to that too.

Needless to say, as much as I love Japan, there is no real way I would ever be convinced to work there. It's a job getting a place to even stay. Lot's of factors involved.

But hey: They're not screwing over game designers and artists yet. Think about that.

hoffstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
r18
Ojii-san

step one ...be born in japan...

look into my face children ....it is i that you shall become...

r18 is offline   Reply With Quote