Kaiji - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Kaiji

Kaiji
(a.k.a. Ultimate Survivor Kaiji)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Down-and-out young man with no money is roped into going onto a ship full of other down-and-outs and having to gamble himself out of his enormous debts. But the game is something quite unexpected and everybody is there out of desperation.

Ugly, ugly, ugly character designs. But there's something about the plot I like. Very similar sort of tone/atmosphere to Death Note, with characters who are desperate enough to do anything and morality is most likely going to take a backseat. Also similar in that a simple set of rules determine everything that's at stake.

Could be quite a corker.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 03-24-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Edited to use newer header format.
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
asucrews
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via ICQ to asucrews Send a message via AIM to asucrews Send a message via MSN to asucrews Send a message via Yahoo to asucrews
Default Re: Kaiji

well it is done by madhouse, and base off the manga by Nobuyuki Fukumoto and also did Akagi. so we well see how it turns out

i try not to give you to much ammo! :)
asucrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
aboumonkey
Anime Fan in Training

pretty intriguing first episode despite the awkward character designs. if they manage to pull the gambling part it might be really good .
aboumonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
Cythraul
Anime Fan in Training

It probably isn't going to be as awesome as Akagi, but it still seems pretty good. It's pretty interesting how different Kaiji the character) is from Akagi (the character); that in itself should make the gambling very different, but I hope they also keep the pace of the first episode. I don't know, but the idea of Kaiji (the character) in last arc of Akagi-like duels seems quite boring...
Cythraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
desterion
Anime Fan in Training

It took me halfway through Akagi to finally realize that what you hold is what's relevant and they you shouldn't lay down all your pairs and stuff for points. I don't think i'm ever going to really understand mahjong
Old 10-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Episode 3 was great too - I'm already used to the character designs now. I really hope this series can deliver on a stunning initial promise. Also, does anybody know how long it will be? With only 2 and a half hours left, I don't see this spanning 26 eps at all. Maybe 12?

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
BTime

Anidb.net states that the number of episodes is currently unknown. I can tell I'm hooked when at the end of each episode it seems like it ended way too soon. I expect the quality of the first arc will remain high, after that, we'll see..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
ReturnofFruitbasketbob2
Experienced Anime Fan

Argh! I heard good things about this anime but the character design is just turning me off. Returnoffruitbasketbob2 only likes to see beautiful ppl in anime because its a reflection of himself.

ReturnofFruitbasketbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
asucrews
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via ICQ to asucrews Send a message via AIM to asucrews Send a message via MSN to asucrews Send a message via Yahoo to asucrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi's Queen View Post
Episode 3 was great too - I'm already used to the character designs now. I really hope this series can deliver on a stunning initial promise. Also, does anybody know how long it will be? With only 2 and a half hours left, I don't see this spanning 26 eps at all. Maybe 12?
yes so far this seires is great, the character designs is odd. it fits the feel of the anime very well. i don't really see this one going 26, with the differents in character desings, and the subject i think they keep in as a short 12 eps

i try not to give you to much ammo! :)
asucrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Hogusan

Yeah this series is totaly awesome, quite uniqe in the fall line-up.

And after you watched a episode or two you dont think about it being animated in a strange way, then you will be completley sucked in by the story ^^. Can't wait for the fifth episode!!!!