Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Page 51 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #501
Thefrozentundra
Narumon Z

Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius2000 View Post
Aw man, I can't believe
Me: Oh, look, a friendly ol' spoiler tag! I'd better go on click him -click-.
Dammit, why did I do that?
Maybe I should actually allow myself to wake up before hoping on the computer. It messes with my decision making, apparently.
On another note, I predicted that would happen back in the first episode. I didn't know when exactly, but predicted that it would be in the first half. I've gotten good at that sort of thing.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Thefrozentundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #502
MugiwaraMarius
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MugiwaraMarius

Episode 28-30:

You know speaking of Dune I've been thinking that there are several parallels between Duncan Idaho and Siegfried. Beyond the surface sterling military careers they served the purpose of trying to humanize their rulers. Well Idaho had it much more difficult since the the God Emperor was literally not human anymore and Leto II wouldn't let the poor guy stay dead. Well it hardly matters anymore but it was something I was thinking about that I didn't bring up.

Last edited by MugiwaraMarius; 06-22-2011 at 10:18 AM.
MugiwaraMarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #503
valondar
Otaku

^
Dune comparisons are interesting because it's another great exmaple of a complicated and mapped out space opera universe with a strong political component, but beyond that it's wildly different from Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Dune's a lot stranger, I guess I'd be driving at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
The 2 additional OVA's deliver quite a few interesting stories about Reinhard's and Kircheis' ascension in the hierarchy of the empire (like the 'Mutineer' and 'Retriever' arcs) which are highly recommended; the stories for Yang aren't that good.
I actually felt the reverse. The Reinhard and Kircheis stuff is good, but it's also largely treading over ground we're familiar with. Reinhard and Kircheis are advancing through the ranks at very young ages, people resent them and assume favouritism has a part to play, there's elements at the court who plain dislike them (hello, Benemude) and sure enough, they have the ability to match their favoured ascent. There's definitely some cool stuff there - like tanks! - but it's an arc the viewers currently watching the first season of LOGH should be pretty familiar with.

Yang, though... well, we actually see how he became the Hero of El Facil, and his arcs include typically Yang stuff - like historical research to settle a recent dispute about the integrity and character of Alliance heroes. Also, admittedly, the fact it has more Yang is biasing me here a great deal.

What the OVAs could have used more of was von Schenkopp. I could watch a series about the Rosen Ritters.

You know all that said I'd definitely recommend both Gaiden series to LOGH viewers who really want more LOGH. Of the 'movies', My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is most worth watching (as I've said before, Overture to a New War is basically the first two episodes of the series, but better) and Golden Wings, while not bad, is definitely the weakest LOGH title and one that includes a different voice cast and different character designs for like... some reason. That one's for completists, pretty much.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #504
MugiwaraMarius
Banned

^ Oh I know that there isn't much comparable about Dune and LotGH. Dune isn't nearly as straightforward and yes much weirder.

Anyway episodes 31 and 32 pretty much cemented Yang as my favorite character for the series. I loved that during the questioning he was both giving complete answers and openly mocking them at the same time.

31-33:

Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #505
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Marius, do you think you could spoiler tag your entire first couple of lines in your post numbered 512? Because

Episodes 7-9:

My favourite of this set was the Klopstock incident. The dialogue between Reinhard and that bob-haired tool was hilarious. And I generally love political schemes.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!

Last edited by VivisQueen; 06-22-2011 at 02:16 PM.
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #506
coffeebreath

I'm up to ep 5... :s

I thought I was warming to Reinhard but the overzealous attitude toward his sister is a big turn-off.

I'm still very confused over names, especially when most of them wear military garb. Though I find myself engrossed in each episode so it's going well.

coffeebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #507
MugiwaraMarius
Banned

34-36:

All of this politics and intrigue is actually even more interesting than the battles. I love the battles but the it's the deep political system that makes this show special.

Edit: The good thing about the names is that they display the characters names every time they show up. With a cast this large it's easy to lose characters but as soon as I see the name I know who I'm dealing with.

Also what the hell have I been doing the new episode of Kaiji has been downloaded for hours now but I was too engrossed with this show to take a break. Well damn it I'm taking a break now to get my Kaiji fix.

Last edited by MugiwaraMarius; 06-23-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #508
MugiwaraMarius
Banned

37-39:

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #509
Nicknames

Send a message via Skype™ to Nicknames

Episode 4-6:

I'll try to catch up with the rest of the group as soon as possible

My claims

Nicknames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #510
Thefrozentundra
Narumon Z

Episodes 7-9

I wasn't in a very good mood yesterday when I watched these. I still enjoyed them, but I didn't feel like watching anime at all at the time, so I kept zoning out. I still think I understood what was going on, since I kept replaying scenes whenever I did that.

Onward, to episode ten~

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Thefrozentundra is offline   Reply With Quote