Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Page 3 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Episode 2:

Slightly more interesting with

By the way, valondar, if you haven't already, I'd like to point you to Crest/Banner of the Stars. Something tells me you'll really like it.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
valondar
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivisQueen View Post

Quote:
By the way, valondar, if you haven't already, I'd like to point you to Crest/Banner of the Stars. Something tells me you'll really like it.
Oh I intend to fairly soon and I did kind of glance over your threads on the topic. Elsewhere I've read comparisons between the show and Star Trek: The Next Generation (as a kind of anime equivalent), so I suspect I'd enjoy it a great deal.

Actually on that note I'd just like to say that Legend of the Galactic Heroes actually has sex. Not a lot of it and don't hold your breath for it to show up anytime soon but it's definitely in there.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
VivisQueen

;_;

What upsets me is that people took my 'having sex' comment so seriously. It was a joke, people!

And 1) I love Star Trek, but 2) I don't think Banner matches it in continuous entertainment value. Honestly, Crest is a very very good show and I was hooked throughout and the characters are introduced beautifully. The problem begins halfway through Banner I, when it all starts getting rather tedious and repetitive. I don't think there even is a plot, just endless space battles, briefly interrupted by characterisation dialogue. This is why I'm hoping LOTGH actually has a serial dramatic story.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #24
valondar
Otaku

I'm being glib! Honestly one or two tasteful sex scenes in nine billion episodes isn't exactly Elfen Lied.

And if there's one thing LOGH has in buckets, it's plot. It can be slow-moving a lot of the time but there's lots of stuff going on in every season. I also found to be very dramatic; but that depends how much one identifies and connects with the two leads and the enormous supporting cast - rather considerably so in my case.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
VivisQueen

Glad to hear it, valondar. Glad to hear it. Can I just ask, which are the most important characters to focus on right now? Cause there's so many and all their names just swim in and out of the screen, I really just want to know now who I should give a shit about.

My instinctive reaction to info dumping and endless exposition is to switch off, and after Twelve Kingdoms and Banner of the Stars, I do it even quicker now than I used to. The sad effect is that if there IS something decent coming, I'm likely to miss it. So, help me out here with some hints on what to focus on.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
valondar
Otaku

Okay, here are a couple of guys worth watching. Incomplete but hopefully helpful:

The leads:

Yang Wenli
Reinhard von Lohengramm

Basically our two principals this season, we get quite a bit of character development and personality and so on.

Imperials to watch:

Siegfried Kircheis
Reinhard von Lohengramm's dearest and oldest friend, very important character.

Mittermeyer
Reuental
You might remember these two guys as the guys who aren't in the battle but are commenting about how they hope Reinhard wins. What the hell is with that, eh? Well, they're two of his most loyal and trusted lieutenants based on previous campaigns so they'll be a big deal. They were swapped out of this campaign by Reinhard's enemies, who figured that without his best officiers Reinhard can't win battles.

Oberstein
Don't think he's appeared yet but wait for this guy. I love this bastard, and he loves his dog.

Prince von Braunschweig:
Pretty much the epitome of the arrogance and presumption of the Goldenbaum Dynasty's aristocracy. A total and utter prick to put it nicely, and a rather darned important one.

Alliance guys to watch:

Juan Minci:
Yang Wenli's ward. That's pretty much all he is now but he's the guy Yang Wenli has the closest connection to.

Greenhill:
I forget his first name but the father of Frederica Greenhill and a man Yang Wenli rather respects, one of the more trustworthy Alliance characters.

Job Truniht:
The good and decent El Presidente of the free democratic order. Ha, I kid.

Jessica Edwards:
You'll like her. A lot.

Others:

The leader of Phezzan who's name I can't remember I'd look it up but I have to go. The bald guy.

Last edited by valondar; 03-13-2009 at 04:15 PM.
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
VivisQueen

-_-

That's like EVERYONE. Lol. Okay, I'll try to concentrate on those. At least the top two guys are easy to identify with their hair colour and stuff.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #28
signorRossi
Otaku

LoGH is far better than Crest/Banner (which I found boring) and it really has lot of plot. I recently watched the 22 episodes OVA prequel that focuses on Reinhard and Siegfried, good stuff too.
@VivisQueen Don't watch it all at once. Even while almost all episodes are good, 110 are too much to watch shortly one after another.
@Valondar I love Oberstein, too! I still remember what he said to Bittenfeld in one of the last episodes.

signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #29
valondar
Otaku

Vivis - That's a short list. Honest.

I could think of a couple more characters who have key roles this season (and/or the series as a whole) but I wanted to stick to the really important guys who have big roles in terms of plot or character at this point. I'd consider Schenkopp probably the most important guy who didn't make the cut for anyone who cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
I recently watched the 22 episodes OVA prequel that focuses on Reinhard and Siegfried, good stuff too.
Yeah, that OVA was good stuff. I'll be getting around to the other OVA myself in the near future. Of the LOGH additional material I've seen I'd say it's all good, Golden Wings is the weakest link for a variety of reasons but I did still like that.

I'm really not expecting anyting much from the Crest of the Stars franchise but I figure it's worth a shot anyway given my indolate love for space opera. While we're on the subject, Farscape is frigging awesome. Not in any way shape or form remotely resembling any of the series just mentioned (it's about as pretentious as a soda pop and classy as bubblegum trading cards) I just thought I'd name drop that show FOR NO REASON because I love it so.

Quote:
@Valondar I love Oberstein, too! I still remember what he said to Bittenfeld in one of the last episodes.
Which was?

(is ashamed to not remember the quote, Oberstein fan that I am)
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

finished season 2 a couple weeks ago. pretty good but not as solid as season 1. seemed they were setting things up for this next season. later in the season was very good though. i was going to start season three but decided to take a break... this show can be pretty demanding on your attention and dont want to miss anything.

"I feel like a two year old playing a fiendishly clever computer game against god" ~ Patlabor

greatapepress.com
evan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote