Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Page 2 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
styln
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Galactic Heroes DVD Box Set

that is a massive amount of dvd anime goodness
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

wow, this is really good. just finished season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
i particullarly like the lack of anything flashy or over the top through out the season.

i thought it was interesting how to two main characters essitially go through the same type of problems parallel with one another but in completely different ways. this helps highlight their different style of command which are equal in brilliance but complete opposite...

or maybe thier different styles of command stem from thier own personalities. yang for instance does not want the authority his abilities give him yet still feels committment to do whats best for the people, this often leads to him taking charge only once things have gotten quite perilous. while rienhard is completely ambitious and is a sort of grand architech of political and military strategy.

as they are now they seem like equals, but until yang comes completely into his role and the corruption of the free nations alliance is dealt with, i cant imagine them winning the war.

"I feel like a two year old playing a fiendishly clever computer game against god" ~ Patlabor

greatapepress.com
evan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
evan1979
Anime Fan in Training

oh yes, my complaint. its only minor but i thought occationally the strategy of this or that, usually subterfuge political stuff, wasnt given enouph time to make it seem viable.
almost like they had to cut some minor stuff out to make everything fit. i see the train of thought that goes into these strategies, but its like one link here and there is missing or skipped. even then you can understand the whats going on, it just feels a little less believable

that is the only critism i can offer.

"I feel like a two year old playing a fiendishly clever computer game against god" ~ Patlabor

greatapepress.com
evan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
signorRossi
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1979 View Post
oh yes, my complaint. its only minor but i thought occationally the strategy of this or that, usually subterfuge political stuff, wasnt given enouph time to make it seem viable.
almost like they had to cut some minor stuff out to make everything fit. i see the train of thought that goes into these strategies, but its like one link here and there is missing or skipped. even then you can understand the whats going on, it just feels a little less believable

that is the only criticism i can offer.
You are completely right. You have to be a little lenient there, since it would probably have taken another 110 episodes to flesh everything out. ;)
But if you can add a little imagination yourself the whole show works out very well.

SignorRossi.

signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
valondar
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1979 View Post
even then you can understand the whats going on, it just feels a little less believable
That's certainly true.

Last edited by valondar; 02-02-2009 at 05:10 AM.
valondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
Foop
Anime Fan in Training

Send a message via ICQ to Foop Send a message via AIM to Foop Send a message via MSN to Foop Send a message via Yahoo to Foop

i'm glad i watched this instead of touch
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Episode 1:

Dry. A little tedious. Too many characters. I hope it picks up, cause I've got 110 more of these to go.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
valondar
Otaku

It's not the best beginning.

The film Overture to a New War covers the same battle as the first couple of episodes but with considerably more clarity - featuring the build up and the beginning rather than just jumping into the middle. That and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars are worth watching at some point though not required viewing, the latter covers an event prior to the series that gets mentioned occasionally.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Okay. Cause at the moment it's reminding me a hell of a lot of Banner of the Stars (both seasons) and they started to bore me witless halfway. To the point where I just wanted it to end so bad. Lol. But I am looking forward to it - so far, I've only heard good things. I just don't want too much of this pointless space battling where all you get is lots of talking about strategy, a couple of shots of the map which doesn't really make sense in a multi-dimensional environment, interrupted once in a while by philosophical debate.

God spare us.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #20
valondar
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivisQueen View Post
I just don't want too much of this pointless space battling where all you get is lots of talking about strategy, a couple of shots of the map which doesn't really make sense in a multi-dimensional environment, interrupted once in a while by philosophical debate.
That is a lot of it but there's considerably more to the show than that. There usually are pretty long stretches between engagements which focus on politics, character development, world building, etc.