Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 05-27-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
VivisQueen
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Denno Coil

Denno Coil
(a.k.a. Cyber Coil)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Alright, first and second eps are out, this anime already looks pretty damned good. If you look at the anidb entry, it tells you bugger all, but when you actually watch the anime you realise you've got an AMAZINGLY original world presented to you. Like, half the world is pretty much a hologram. The animation suggests innocence of tone but there's this freaky black creature which suggests darker things are to come. A bit like the black things (the Heartless?) in Kingdom Hearts, if anyone's played that. A bit childish in design, but fucking creepy and with REAL sense of peril.

Two things I liked about the world: the fact that everyone has to wear these special glasses, and the character designs. I think this could appeal to a broad base of people.

Check out my podcast - Nakama Britannica - latest episode is a review of Flag!

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 10-01-2008 at 12:47 AM.
VivisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
sevencreature
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Dennou Coil

Yeah, it should be pretty interesting.
sevencreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Kyrael Seraphine
Narumon Z

Send a message via MSN to Kyrael Seraphine

I wasn't struck by the (human) character designs, personally. They appeared clumsy and bland. However, I am still watching. For one, sole reason.

...that dog had me giggling for most of the twenty odd minutes it appeared on film. I've not seen a character with quite as much of it, in quite a long time. I'm curious, at least, to see what the reason for the world is. So, I shall watch onwards.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
VnTB
Anime Fan in Training

yeah the dog is funny ^-^

VnTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Aydan
Otaku

Very nice show. I like the designs of the characters, well I like the design of the whole Dennou Coil world. Especially the girl that points at everything and says "poop". Yeah I'm only on ep 2. The world is cool, a very nice version of a hitech future.
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
PaxLux
Anime Fan in Training

Is anyone still watching this? I saw the first epi and I want to give it a shot, but then I was distracted by Lucky Star. :)
Old 08-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
Maethor
Narumon Z

I have been watching it and while it started off decent it has become quite repetitive and slow. That, and as a major computer geek I find so many little flaws watching it that annoy me

For instance when they get zapped if they are human why does it mess up their image, unless they have a digital image coded over themselves, which would seem useless unless they wanted to appear differently to people wearing glasses, which I have not yet seen used.

Also why has nobody made the glasses into contact lesses I swear the creator must be a major Meganekko fan.
Maethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 AM   #8
PaxLux
Anime Fan in Training

I haven't gotten very far in the series, but I don't feel a real sense of danger from those big floating orbs. I mean, just take the glasses off and it's not there. Is that right? I haven't figured out how that world works exactly.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Aydan
Otaku

I'm still watching the show, but I can see where this is going.

Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
ace52387
Experienced Anime Fan

Default Dennou Coil

I'm almost halfway through it, and I'm just a tiny bit disappointed with how many slide shows it uses. Bah the animation's so good looking, it's kind of jarring to go from that to a slide show. Still, as far as I've gotten, there's no dip in the animation quality, given the scenes are actually fully animated.

Plot developments are very well paced. You get a constant feed of information regarding the mystery in the central plot line, as opposed to fillers and then gigantic revelation episodes. The action isn't all that well distributed though. Some episodes are especially eventful, while others contain more dialogue.

The story telling, animation, and a lot of the scene direction seems to me like a pretty big cut above an average TV series. The chase scenes are usually fantastic (and it seems like someone's always being chased), as are the weird cyber battles. I remember 1 of these battles took up something like half an episode. Long action scenes in TV series' usually mean a lot of foot dragging, like unnaturally long stare downs, or shameless repetitiveness, but so far Dennou Coil hasn't shown any of that.

I also love how childish Dennou Coil is. The kids call the stores where they get cyber weapons/toys penny candy stores, and all currency has to be converted into new year's money. It's like the whole world has a preteen spin to it.

I usually only genuinely enjoy maybe 1 TV series every 1/2 year, and this may be it for me. What are some of your thoughts?

Last edited by ace52387; 02-29-2008 at 04:15 PM.
ace52387 is offline   Reply With Quote