Any chances of working in Japan? - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Klaaz
Narumon Z

Default Any chances of working in Japan?

So,

I'd like to actually go to Japan and work there. I've looked around a bit and I'm a little confused due how the schooling system is diffrent in my country ( Netherlands ).

I have a University of Professional Education's degree in Japanse and English. ( which is a 4+ year course you do after high school, we also have diffrent levels of high school, the one I attended would be called "UK GCSE's at A level / US 11th Grade" ).

Any chances of being able to find a decent job? Or even going there at all.

I'd really like the experience of going there, but as much as I'm looking around it's hard to find actual information. Because what we call University in the Netherlands is actually a step up from the university in let's say, the UK.

p.s. And no I'm not the kind of person that thinks Japan is all kawaii anime girls and sakura trees.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Klaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
mussolini
Otaku

Default Re: Any chances of working in Japan?

JET may be your best bet... I reckon we have a user involved with it, so he'd be best able to give you advice.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Klaaz
Narumon Z

Hmm, that looks really interesting and I meet all the requirements.

Anyone with experience on this? After reading some horror stories about the "big companies".

Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
skankfish
Otaku

I'm unsure what you mean. You have a university degree or equivalent? Then you can get an English teaching job fairly easily. Even more so if you can speak Japanese. JET would be a good starting point, after which I would start looking for interviews within Japan to find something more permanent or better paying.

There are several big companies with bad track records. JET is run in co-ordination with the Japanese government, so is more secure (though over-subscribed). Board of Education jobs are the most highly-sought after.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Klaaz
Narumon Z

Yes, I have a Bachelor in Japanese and English, though I'm not a native English speaker.

So Bachelor equals 3 year of study at an university. Or 4 year study at the school I attended ( which focuses more on practical use and doing what you learn. Whereas university is more academic. )

By the way thanks for the help everyone.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
Eriol
Anime Guru

I'll just hijack this thread since it's related and I can't be arsed to make a new one.

Outside teaching English (and I think you'll have to be a native speaker for that), there are career forums organized in London and in the US (Boston, iirc) where one might get in touch with a Japanese company. Other possibilities in Europe is the Vulcanus programme, but that's just for engineering types I believe.

I actually applied through Vulcanus, and got rejected during the last phase. After that I noticed the London Career Forum, where Japanese companies were looking for people to work in Japan. For the most part they're looking for fluent Japanese speakers, but some might have need for us less capable too.

I actually got through the first interview there for a company that wasn't looking just for fluent Japanese speakers. Now I'm waiting for my second interview that's done online. Unfortunately I've also had my first dealing of Japanese business culture too, with the interview process.

I was first given a list of themes for my internship, and there was this one that sounded really great ( though who knows what it would be in reality). After that I had to give dates suitable for the interview. The dates go by and I'm told in essence "sorry, give us times for next week". Then they give me a new list of themes, and half of them completely unsuitable to my skills, and say "pick best 3 of those". I ask about the original theme, and now week after that they say "We thought these might suit you better". I knew asking was pretty much pointless, most likely they had filled the original theme and HR simply slapped some more themes without even looking. Oh, and did I mention, now they just said again "sorry, give us times for next week" since they seem to be completely incapable of actually setting a date for the interview. I just love it how the HR woman gives absolutely no reasons for anything, just the usual hontouni gomennasai bs, and when asked, it's the same useless answers.

That's Japanese Business Culture 101 for you. To my understanding, this sort of behaviour is actually the way it's done in Japan, especially the part about apologizing and not giving any explanations, perhaps because that might be conceived as trying to justify your "failure". Obviously not giving any reason, and just saying sorry is better?

I'll let you people know how the second interview goes (if anyone is even interested), when they get around to making it happen, that is. If I get the job, I'll be doing my Master's Thesis in Japan, and hopefully after that, get a permanent full time job in Japan. It's actually rather scary at the moment, since I'm still at a fairly beginner level, and can't really keep a conversation going in Japanese nor read kanji. I still love the challenge of going to Japan to work. I'm sure though I might learn to hate it too.

Top15 anime:
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Xandier
Anime Fan in Training

I don't got any chances to work there..... maybe....
But have been there 3 years ago... I went for vacation to Tokyo, Kyoto and Edosihima...

Only that......
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
ParaParaJMo
Anime Guru

gaijinpot.com
jobsinjapan.com
myshigoto.com

try these places

Be sure to check out: www.youtube.com/hajimenojmo and his top 50 anime at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngwg5N5APw
ParaParaJMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
hoffstyle
Otaku

Be very careful though, JET is good if you want to go the teaching route..but a LOT of the Come here, teach English places are horribly disreputable.

Like said above, do some research on Japanese Business Etiquette. They will expect you to follow it to the letter, even during the interview process. Business/Work in Japan is very conformist. You will be expected to tow the company line even as Gaijin. Your European or American work ethic will not translate well in Japanese business culture.

hoffstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
Eriol
Anime Guru

I had my second interview just a few hours ago. It did seem at least that the interviewers weren't too uptight about the interview. It's a problem though, that none of the Japanese really speak english fluently, so there's always some communication issues so it's hard at times to get the message across both ways. It's funny the interviewer said that the team members would speak english very well, yet I'm not exactly sure if he meant that, or the opposite. We did the interview online, so it probably made the situation a bit less formal, at least in my opinion.

I'll know in a week or so if they'll accept me. I think the interview went ok, all things considered. Certainly if there's someone that's as qualified and can speak Japanese better, they'll probably choose them. But as far as I could tell, at least they didn't seem unimpressed.

Top15 anime:
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote