Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan? - Page 6 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #51
Exorcisti
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan?

*Goes to a train station..
*Steps into a woman only wagon because foreigners can't read kanji or anything of the sort..
*Feels like a boss..

^Now that would be fun. On a personal note, I would like to go there, but I can't really say I'm obsessed with it. I can already imagine the the awesome trolling though...delicious..
Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #52
Sianeka
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Sianeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyOfIce View Post
Other cultures are always going to fascinate people. I don't think anyone here is "obsessed" with Japan as you put it, just introduced to another culture that is interesting to us who are not exposed to it everyday.
^^ This!

And as an earlier poster mentioned, it is only natural for a car enthusiast to mention car parts as well instead of just admiring and watching the motions of a moving car.

I think I am typical of many anime fans in that I developed a bigger interest in Japan and things Japanese because I watch anime and thus wanted to find out more about the place where it originates. Because I watch anime and have become involved a bit more in Japan and its culture due to this, I will use Japanese words and terminology because they are now familiar to me and have a more precise meaning to me and others than some similar English/American words I could try to substitute.

And yes, because I use Japanese words and can talk about anime and Japan with some authority now (as opposed to my pre-anime time of life when I was an idiot about Japan) and because I find Japan, the language and the culture interesting (so alien and different from what I am used to here in the US), I have been called otaku or a fanatic. I do not think I am obsessed. But I do have a bigger than usual interest in all things Japanese. And I think this is a normal outgrowth of liking anime.

If OP doesn't see this, or feels differently, more power to him/her. But I hope OP doesn't automatically slag all other anime fans as obsessed otaku or weaboo just because they are more "īnto" Japan than others or use Japanese terminology to describe things. While certainly there are fans that go overboard (as there is with just about any other hobby you can mention!) I really think the Japanophile syndrome associated with liking anime is a natural offshoot of that particular predilection.

My clubs:
Sianeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #53
Sianeka
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Sianeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcisti View Post
*Goes to a train station..
*Steps into a woman only wagon because foreigners can't read kanji or anything of the sort..
*Feels like a boss..

^Now that would be fun.
hehehehehehe (Is it wrong of me to enjoy this instead of feeling creeped out, since I'm female?)

My clubs:
Sianeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #54
Mimori

I like anime.

I like Japanese culture.

Did my love for anime spark this? Well yes, obviously.

Does that mean I want to be Japanese or must always talk about anime while talking about Japan? Nope. Hell no. I want to learn more about the Japanese and their culture to understand them better. I want to be able to understand the country which creates the entertainment I love so much.

That's all.

Mimori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #55
mussolini
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianeka View Post
I will use Japanese words and terminology because they are now familiar to me and have a more precise meaning to me and others than some similar English/American words I could try to substitute.
As somebody who has devoted a fair bit of time to learning the language, I think that there are very, very few situations in which Japanese words are necessary when speaking English. Sure, we might not have a one-word translation for "tachikurami", but we can still express the concept perfectly well. The main context in which it's not obnoxious to mix Japanese and English freely is when trying to communicate with somebody who understands more Japanese than English.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #56
Bluehorizon
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimori View Post
I like anime.

I like Japanese culture.

Did my love for anime spark this? Well yes, obviously.

Does that mean I want to be Japanese or must always talk about anime while talking about Japan? Nope. Hell no. I want to learn more about the Japanese and their culture to understand them better. I want to be able to understand the country which creates the entertainment I love so much.

That's all.
This, if it wasn't for anime i wouldn't have even heard of japan nor had a slightest interest in it.
Japan is pretty much an isolated and unknown country(at least if we take out the electronics and cars) due to the ideology of Europe and America "if anything is east-asian it has to be chinese".
And well i just like it how japan developed work as being one of their culture and how fast they recovered after the big earthquake back in 2011, but yeah, i somehow like Japan(but not at the level of obsession, like always wanting to eat with chopsticks), despite some of the negative parts of it, and if i had to visit once in my life, i would, but not live in it.
P.S: Sorry for my horrible English.
Edit: Kind of the same thing can be said of Korea and it's k-pop, everyone lately has been like "OHMGDZ PSY, i wanna learn korean and it's culture".

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Bluehorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #57
Steven94
Narumon Z

Japan's alright, and there are a lot of things I like about it, but I don't pay attention to it much more than I do any other country. I like anime because it's interesting and compelling, not because of any worship of Japanese culture. I don't have any particular desire to learn Japanese, either, which is why I usually watch anime dubbed-if the story is interesting, that's all I care about.

I'd love to visit the place someday, but I doubt I'd want to reside there (the insane work culture and draconian drug laws are enough to turn me off; I like relaxing with my weed, thank you very much).

Still, if you enjoy learning about Japan and studying Japanese, feel free. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Anime | Manga
Steven94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #58
kichi
Anime Guru

Send a message via MSN to kichi Send a message via Skype™ to kichi

i really recommend you dont watch anime dubbed and watch the subbed version. after a while you can adjust to reading subs with no effort at all and a i think it makes a hell of a difference to the feeling and story!!

kichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #59
Steven94
Narumon Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichi View Post
i really recommend you dont watch anime dubbed and watch the subbed version. after a while you can adjust to reading subs with no effort at all and a i think it makes a hell of a difference to the feeling and story!!
Eh, I've watched subbed and dubbed and both can be very YMMV (someone I know who speaks Japanese says fansubs get translations wrong in crucial ways sometimes). And you can't really make the "authentic" argument for an anime like Baccano where all the characters are emphatically not speaking Japanese.

I'm fine with subtitles, but since I'm not learning Japanese and like listening to stuff in my native language, dubs are my go-to.

Anime | Manga
Steven94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #60
Lithium
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliee View Post
I find it kinda annoying a lot of the time associating with other people who like anime, be it in person or over the internet. This is because most of them seem to be completely obsessed with everything about Japan. I think this makes them seem pretty ignorant, because Japan is a very conformist nation, and apparently most Japanese people don't really have respect for late teen/ early adult anime fans anyway, and label most foreign people who are Japan obsessed weaboos(manga is a little different and is respectable for people of all ages).
I don't think there's anything wrong with having an interest in Japan, my grandfather loves Japan, and is one of only 7 foreign people to be highly qualified in Kyudo (Japanese archery, a pretty massive achievement) but it irritates me when anime discussion comes up and people are using all of this 'shojo seinen ecchi bishies otaku' lingo which dosen't make sense to people who just want to watch a nice entertaining Japanese cartoon like a normal person, without wanting a lesson in Japanese lingo. I'm not meaning to offend anyone, it's just I love anime, but am capable of separating a love of Japanese animation, from a love/desire to be Japanese, love of Japanese women love of everything Japanese. It seems many aren't. has anyone else noticed this with anime fans, and is there anyone else who loves anime, without being irritating about Japan?
Human Resources Outsourcing
I more or less have the same sentiment, but what can you do? If they're having fun with it im not going to stop them. Also, this is a really good bot post. Why cant they all be like this?

anyways, I like this definition of weeaboo since it avoids unintentional collateral damage lol

See more on Know Your Meme

Last edited by Lithium; 10-05-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote