Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan? - Page 3 - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
mussolini
Otaku

Default Re: Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLover1997 View Post
when I'm older I wanna move their and be an animator because I'm obsessed with Japan.
Rearranged for sense.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
eaper
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussolini View Post
Rearranged for sense.
You could have edited for grammar, as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
Garyuu

Don't forget that going over to Japan to animate is almost literally impossible. You would have to save up for years, because you would be losing money even you do get a job as an animator. Some animators claim that they get payed $2-$3 an hour. You can't live on that.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
r18
Ojii-san

if you want to work in an asian country it would be easier to commit a crime in china and become a prison laborer....at least you'd have some food and a place to live.....ish..

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

look into my face children ....it is i that you shall become...

r18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
mussolini
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaper View Post
You could have edited for grammar, as well.
I certainly could have done that.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
Mantis
Narumon Z

This makes me recall when I got into a debate about weeaboos, most notably with Chinese/US one who thought that being half-Chinese gave her a "Be a Weeaboo Free" card. I'm going through the comments as I type this, actually. That's not to say I think all weeaboos should be insulted, but their ignorance can get annoying.

Actually, the debate started off as a dub vs. sub argument. When I objected to her unreasonable and illogical explanation which was basically "all dubs suck and subs are the best", and I expressed that she was being a weeaboo, she replied with, "I'm actually half Chinese so..." Someone else interjected with, "Being part Asian doesn't give you any brownie-points, and the half-Chinese thing is nauseating because it plays into the American lack of differentiation between Asian races."

I don't fully agree with that because I think UK citizens can also be a little ignorant about Asian races, but I certainly agree for the most part. Which brings me to this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuuAL View Post
I confess. I once had this Japan obsession many many years ago. Thankfully, it was never to the extreme... the likes of which have been heard about on the Internet. Was it due to anime? You betcha. And I'm not even a white person; I happen to be Asian.
So, I can conclude from this post and from other views I've seen online that some Asian people think that, for example, an Indian man absolutely cannot be a weeaboo. It doesn't matter if he watches anime most of the day, studies Japanese for the sake of anime, only plays Japanese video games rejecting anything from his own nation. Remember, he's Asian!

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
Nox
Otaku

A resident of one country that's obsessed or has been indoctrinated by another is never highly regarded by either of them. It's true that people who are not Japanese yet are obsessed with Japan are not highly regarded in Japan but, from my experience, people who are Japanese yet have been Americanized or Westernized even less so. People ware considerably nicer to me there then a friend who was with me and was born in Japan yet lived in California.

There's also no such thing as Asian generalization. The only people this could apply to a minor degree is Europeans because we're the Old Continent and still share a certain clan mentality.

P.S. The OP is a bot. Could a mod do something about that advertising link in his post, please?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
coffeebreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
There's also no such thing as Asian generalization. The only people this could apply to a minor degree is Europeans because we're the Old Continent and still share a certain clan mentality.
Is this in response to the post above yours? I really do see such a thing as Asian generalisation but maybe I'm misunderstanding. I completely disagree with your final sentence as I do not feel much familiarity with many other European races/cultures whatsoever. I'd feel completely lost and alienated just going to France.

I also agree that UK citizens are ignorant to differentiate between Asian races - most of them get lumped into Chinese stereotypes. I seem to recall a number of times I've mentioned to people about Japanese/Korean films being really awesome and their response something non-PC like "sorry, not into ching chong chooey crap" which is a Chinese stereotype. Also, Indians are not seen as Asians here, they are just seen the same as Pakistanis and Middle Eastern races.

But it's true the Americans are guilty of it too and for them it extends to Europeans. They overuse the word "European" as a catchment term for similar entities when in reality it's far too much of a diverse place. Basically, Europe seems to have become generalised as one big country as opposed to multitudes of totally different cultures. I can only imagine it be because the schools teach EU politics (if any non-US politics at all!) as opposed to studying individual political systems of the countries. Too many times I've heard US or Canadian citizens say "I'm visiting Europe" when they're just going to Spain for two weeks. It sounds alien to me. If I were visiting Tanzania I wouldn't say "I'm visiting Africa" and if I were going to Venezuela I wouldn't say "I'm visiting South America!". Not unless I was totally ignorant of basic geography and assuming everyone around me to be as well... oh, wait...

Also, I try my best to separate my love for anime and my intrigue for Japan. I respect that while anime may borrow many elements from Japanese culture and history that both of those things were formed before anime existed and should be seen as independent. I used to get quite embarrased when I used to visit a Japanese restaurant with a certain person and he would say "Itadakimasu!" before we ate. I really wish I had studied Japanese history before watching anime though.

coffeebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Nox
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreath View Post
Is this in response to the post above yours? I really do see such a thing as Asian generalisation but maybe I'm misunderstanding. I completely disagree with your final sentence as I do not feel much familiarity with many other European races/cultures whatsoever. I'd feel completely lost and alienated just going to France.

I also agree that UK citizens are ignorant to differentiate between Asian races - most of them get lumped into Chinese stereotypes. I seem to recall a number of times I've mentioned to people about Japanese/Korean films being really awesome and their response something non-PC like "sorry, not into ching chong chooey crap" which is a Chinese stereotype. Also, Indians are not seen as Asians here, they are just seen the same as Pakistanis and Middle Eastern races.

But it's true the Americans are guilty of it too and for them it extends to Europeans. They overuse the word "European" as a catchment term for similar entities when in reality it's far too much of a diverse place. Basically, Europe seems to have become generalised as one big country as opposed to multitudes of totally different cultures. I can only imagine it be because the schools teach EU politics (if any non-US politics at all!) as opposed to studying individual political systems of the countries. Too many times I've heard US or Canadian citizens say "I'm visiting Europe" when they're just going to Spain for two weeks. It sounds alien to me. If I were visiting Tanzania I wouldn't say "I'm visiting Africa" and if I were going to Venezuela I wouldn't say "I'm visiting South America!". Not unless I was totally ignorant of basic geography and assuming everyone around me to be as well... oh, wait...

Also, I try my best to separate my love for anime and my intrigue for Japan. I respect that while anime may borrow many elements from Japanese culture and history that both of those things were formed before anime existed and should be seen as independent. I used to get quite embarrased when I used to visit a Japanese restaurant with a certain person and he would say "Itadakimasu!" before we ate. I really wish I had studied Japanese history before watching anime though.
I don't mean it does not exist but rather that it is not applicable. Asia is segmented as is Europe, to a considerably lesser degree then Europe but still...

Asia is also the only continent other then Europe where countries use their own official languages. Something about having your own national language gives you a certain individual quality.

You're right about my last sentence not making any sense, no idea where I was going with that, it's true there is still a lot of clan mentality here but that's only applicable to each individual nation, not Europe as a whole.

I also do not think these generalization issues extend to just UK and USA. They are everywhere.

I don't agree about certain generalizations. If an American is going to Spain, I'm fine with them saying they're going to Europe because I would never say I'm going to California but rather I'm going to America or USA. True, this is not the same but I'm sure some would claim it is and I just don't want to bother with them.

Does it really matter? Both are correct after all, you ARE visiting South America or Africa or Asia or Europe. Saying you are visiting them is not inaccurate. Saying which country in particular you are visiting is just an extra detail which, let's face it, the person you are telling it to couldn't care less about. "Just bring me something."

Furthermore, I think there's to much importance given to names. I don't care who says what, I call Netherlands as Dutchland, this doesn't mean I hate it or mock it, I just like that name, it's fun and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling while saying it. Naturally somebody who is PC oriented would call me on it and say I'm racist (as they would not know the proper use of that word anyway).

So to recap: Europe and Asia are unique, continents have names which are applicable, I like the Dutch and hate PC people.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #30
BrainBlow

Send a message via Skype™ to BrainBlow

I'm actually more interested in Japan's negative qualities.

Open the spoiler! You trash!!
BrainBlow is offline   Reply With Quote