Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan? - Anime-Planet forum
Why register?

make an anime and manga list, and more! all free!

Theme

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > General > General Discussion > Japanese Discussion

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
wyliee
Narumon Z

Default Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan?

I find it kinda annoying a lot of the time associating with other people who like anime, be it in person or over the internet. This is because most of them seem to be completely obsessed with everything about Japan. I think this makes them seem pretty ignorant, because Japan is a very conformist nation, and apparently most Japanese people don't really have respect for late teen/ early adult anime fans anyway, and label most foreign people who are Japan obsessed weaboos(manga is a little different and is respectable for people of all ages).
I don't think there's anything wrong with having an interest in Japan, my grandfather loves Japan, and is one of only 7 foreign people to be highly qualified in Kyudo (Japanese archery, a pretty massive achievement) but it irritates me when anime discussion comes up and people are using all of this 'shojo seinen ecchi bishies otaku' lingo which dosen't make sense to people who just want to watch a nice entertaining Japanese cartoon like a normal person, without wanting a lesson in Japanese lingo. I'm not meaning to offend anyone, it's just I love anime, but am capable of separating a love of Japanese animation, from a love/desire to be Japanese, love of Japanese women love of everything Japanese. It seems many aren't. has anyone else noticed this with anime fans, and is there anyone else who loves anime, without being irritating about Japan?
Human Resources Outsourcing

Last edited by wyliee; 11-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.
wyliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
r18
Ojii-san
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Default Re: Are there any other Anime lovers who aren't obsessed with Japan?

well i do like a lot about japan...but that is mostly a love for the past of japan the history and the culture of old japan....the modern country of japan is not a place i would like to live....or even visit really ....the art and architecture are appealing to me ....but the new cities are just like everywhere else just an ugly mass of humanity....i dislike cities anyway...as for japanese women ..the nice looking ones are as good as women any place and the rest are also just like every one else....i like anime and would like to see it survive ...but the modern culture of japan especially tokyo is so anti anime and manga that i can see the industry leaving the country...so anime yes it is great ...japan ...it is just another country....

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

look into my face children ....it is i that you shall become...

r18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Cicada
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliee View Post
I find it kinda annoying a lot of the time associating with other people who like anime, be it in person or over the internet. This is because most of them seem to be completely obsessed with everything about Japan. I think this makes them seem pretty ignorant, because Japan is a very conformist nation, and apparently most Japanese people don't really have respect for late teen/ early adult anime fans anyway, and label most foreign people who are Japan obsessed weaboos(manga is a little different and is respectable for people of all ages).
I don't think there's anything wrong with having an interest in Japan, my grandfather loves Japan, and is one of only 7 foreign people to be highly qualified in Kyudo (Japanese archery, a pretty massive achievement) but it irritates me when anime discussion comes up and people are using all of this 'shojo seinen ecchi bishies otaku' lingo which dosen't make sense to people who just want to watch a nice entertaining Japanese cartoon like a normal person, without wanting a lesson in Japanese lingo. I'm not meaning to offend anyone, it's just I love anime, but am capable of separating a love of Japanese animation, from a love/desire to be Japanese, love of Japanese women love of everything Japanese. It seems many aren't. has anyone else noticed this with anime fans, and is there anyone else who loves anime, without being irritating about Japan?
Being interested in Japan isn't the same as wanting to be Japanese. The latter annoy me too, but if you have a problem with me because I like anime and I like Japan, then screw you.

Although being familiar with anime-related lingo has much more to do with being interested in anime itself, than being interested in Japan. But that itself is also harmless unless it's only used to solidify an in-group mentality.
Would it make sense to dislike car enthusiasts who talk about car parts and their workings, rather then just enjoying looking at cars move?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
randomredneck

Send a message via Skype™ to randomredneck

I couldn't care less about the country, i just like the anime from there.

My Claims, etc.
randomredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
BrainBlow

Send a message via Skype™ to BrainBlow

eh, I have found a casual interest in Japan, but I am far from obsessed.
It's a country and culture that is quite far away from here, but that isn't riddled with poverty, epidemics and war(in modern times).
Also, being the history geek I am, understanding Japan's history helps me understand the other countries in the region.

Open the spoiler! You trash!!
BrainBlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
mussolini
Otaku

Considering that I was learning the Japanese language, and had been interested in its culture and history before I had a clue about anime, I guess you might discount me from whatever group it is that you're whinging about.

Kyudo is awesome, and I've been learning it for a little while, but the official rankings seem like they are just a way to spend money on a qualification that doesn't mean much.

I also think you'll find that as Japan grows into and gets used to being a liberal democracy, things like individuality, non-traditional thought, greater tolerance of foreign ideas as-is, and acceptance of the existence (if not the specifics) of a defined youth popular culture will really get a foothold. Along with this, rather than nation- or culture-specific problems, the general "first-world problems" are becoming more apparent. It's an observable phenomenon right now - moral guardians (largely the ageing population born between the end of the war and the beginning of the "economic miracle") are certainly starting to get worked up about cultural shift. Tokyo and the other big cities are leading the way with this (although there's still a way to go), and the trend is slowly but surely spreading.

I'd also mention that negative views of "weeaboos" tend to either come from Japanese otaku, or from the mainstream Japanese media regarding weeaboos in the same light as they do Japanese otaku. Consider that the mass media in most nations tends to not have such a positive stance to "nerdy" things like video games, science fiction, and comic books, and I don't quite see the surprise. And, just like how someone who talks obsessively about the Star Wars extended universe or has a room full of merchandise for the Green Lantern will be seen at best as a loser, and more often as a social retard and someone to be mocked, in a "Western" nation, someone who talks obsessively about anime or has all their scantily-clad plastic anime figures on display will be similarly ill-regarded in Japan. And I imagine that all examples would really tend to work in both places - it's just a matter of what's more common in each situation.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
skankfish
Otaku

I was really into Japanese culture from the age of 10 to 15. Then I got bored of it, and later anime too. Then I moved here by chance and really have no interest in the culture or history beyond the kind of everyday interaction I had in the UK. Maybe that's because of the plethora of foreigners in Japan who love everything about the country (even the bad stuff).

Also, a lot of the conceptions about Japan by outsiders are actually false (no surprise there) and based on media stereotypes (again, not surprising). Specifically, the gender roles of men and women are totally unlike their portrayal.

Whatevs, just thought I'd throw myself in there.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
KyuuAL
Narumon Z

I confess. I once had this Japan obsession many many years ago. Thankfully, it was never to the extreme... the likes of which have been heard about on the Internet. Was it due to anime? You betcha. And I'm not even a white person; I happen to be Asian.

With that said - I have long awoken from this "spell" roughly 5 years ago. However, I still have Japan as a place to visit on my bucket list. If possible, I'd love to run a marathon there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussolini
I'd also mention that negative views of "weeaboos" tend to either come from Japanese otaku, or from the mainstream Japanese media regarding weeaboos in the same light as they do Japanese otaku.
I'm going to assume the "w" on that word has a relation to the word "Wapanese".
weeaboo - Wiktionary

A lot of it has to deal with the white people, particularly in America, who go about their way to "pretend" to be Japanese. They've entranced themselves to Japanophilia so much, such that, Japan is all they talk about. At the same time, they do not know what they're doing. However, to any who have gone as far as becoming Japanese by learning the language and customs, that's different; it just means that they've been born into the wrong country.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
eaper

I suppose it depends on your definition of obsessed. The "lingo" you speak of is the same as using words like "drops," "creeps," "raids," etc. in MMOs. They are just more specific and accurate for what they are describing. As to my personal "love" for Japan, I guess you could say I have that because I am currently taking Japanese (Had to take more languages when I added a second degree, and I hate all romantic languages after 4 years of Latin in HS (and, had I taken Latin, I would have had to start in the 2nd year of it, and I would fail miserably, so I needed a new language)). I suppose if you call that an obsession with Japan, you got me. I don't want to move there, but I would love to visit, since I've already been to Europe once. I would resent being called an otaku or a weaboo, because I realize they are both derogatory words.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
Schizm

My sister is like that, unfortunately. Because she likes anime and manga, she also automatically loves everything else about Japan. She doesn't have a clue about its history or culture but she loves everything she sees, from the food to the clothing style to the bonsai trees etc. It's a shallow obsession however and I hope that it will fade away with time. At least she stopped eating her food using chopsticks, no matter what was on the dish.

Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote