Appleseed XIII

Garyuu

[sadht]Appleseed XIII[/sadht][sadhl=3732]appleseed-xiii[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

I was looking forward to this more than anything this season.

I didn't think the first episode was that great honestly. The story seemed to jump everywhere, and it didn't really feel like a first episode. I would have thought it would have been an episode from mid-season.

it appears to be using flashbacks extensively to cover the lions share of back story, of how Deunan and Briareos came to live in Olympus.
I feel it follows the manga more than the last two films.

For one Briareos is already cybernetic., In the film, he shows up, to Deunan's dismay, changed to a cyborg.

I liked it, but then again, I am hoping they keep some of the lighthearted moments, absent in the 2000's movies. So far that has not happened.
For the most part, they are keeping a lot of what I liked. The Landmates are pretty much the same, Briareos Bike still is a monster sized road hog, and Deanun is still a hot headed blond who can use a knife, or a mecha.
I like how there was a big red military style landmate that saved the "wanted" terrorist, I did not see that one coming (rolls eyes) Hopefully they throw a few more zinggers in the story that will keep me more on my toes
I found the constant shots of Greek Mythology interesting at first, then slightly annoying.
I get it, your using a butt load of Mythological differences, no need to show the statuette spinner and art walled mosaics all the time.

When I first read about the show last year it said, "The series will not be a sequel to the two previous computer-animated movies directed by Shinji Aramaki, but a new retelling." Despite that, people probably would benefit from watching those movies (better to read the manga I guess). The first episode seems like it expects you to know the basic back story.

well damn.. i was about to ask about the timeline set up for the show...

I was looking forward to it as well. Thus far, I'm very unimpressed. I found the first episode to be extremely boring and I didn't like the cgi at all. I felt like I was watching an upgraded... damn, what's that show called with the computer people from back in the day and they were always fighting a virus that attacked; it was in 100% cgi.

I was looking forward to it as well. Thus far, I'm very unimpressed. I found the first episode to be extremely boring and I didn't like the cgi at all. I felt like I was watching an upgraded... damn, what's that show called with the computer people from back in the day and they were always fighting a virus that attacked; it was in 100% cgi.
Reboot?
yeah It is not earth shaking. It looks like cel shading.

The characters look like they came out of Eternal Sonata, so it felt like I was watching a video game cutscene.

I forgot, how much of Briareos is human? I just watched the 1988 OVA, and he could eat, drink and bleed. I am probably remembering wrong, but I thought he was pretty much machine, except for his brain. Maybe he is just different depending on which anime he is in.

I forgot, how much of Briareos is human? I just watched the 1988 OVA, and he could eat, drink and bleed. I am probably remembering wrong, but I thought he was pretty much machine, except for his brain. Maybe he is just different depending on which anime he is in.

I believe he is like quarter human, I used to have a Dark horse copy of a technical manual,he still has some internal organs. He did bleed in the manga. I never saw if he could still have sex or not. At times him and Deunan got pretty physical, but I am not sure about full out activity.

EDIT lol, well so much for old books, it is cool and almost sad how everything is listed these days.
http://appleseed.wikia.com/wiki/Briareos_Hecatonchires (not terribly spoilworthy stuff in the link)

Last edited:
Okay, that makes sense now.

I am also watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC right now, and I suddenly thought that both series are kind of similar. Now I know that they were created by the same person.

Masamune Shirow's work is pretty similar. Even looks the same (His artbooks are sharp. Kinda like a Range Murata. creating a look that is all his)
Youor correct though. Usually set in the future, most have a strong female lead. Obviously Both Apple, and Ghost, have a cybernetic male counterpart. Dominion only has the tough little gal and her somewhat average partner. Of course that is a flat out comedy.

SO I guess I was the only one who enjoyed it then? I know I'm a sucker for anything related to the Appleseed franchise, but I didn't expect this. I rather liked it, especially finally getting to see the KOTUS units being used. And seeing the red Poseidon mech from Ex Machina make a cameo was a neat little shout-out to the previous movie.

As much as I loved the first Appleseed (the non-cgi one), I could never bring myself to watch the others since they cgi was always so bad. Now that we're in the far off future of 2011, we should be able to expect at least Final Fantasy Spirits Within level of cgi for a TV series, right?

Nope. It's like watching a PS2 cut scene. Oh well, guess the first one will remain the only one I'll ever watch.

Back