Ergo Proxy - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 03-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Wolfco

Default Ergo Proxy

Ergo Proxy

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

So I watched episode one and I have a few questions...

Episode 1

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 06-25-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Edited to use newer header format.
Wolfco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
kaz
Anime Fan in Training

Default Re: Ergo Proxy

i'm interested in how this anime chooses to approach the angle of souls-within-machines, as so much other sci-fi has done before it, and whether or not the series remains within the genre of "hard science fiction" (or as "hard sci-fi" as anime can get) or spirals into something else entirely. the first episode was dense enough to where it seems very promising to the philip k. dick fan in me.

aesthetic-wise, the city design reminded me intensely of ridley scott's vision of blade runner, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. i like the contrast between the cleanness of the ruling class's part of the city and the grit of the lower class's.

again, a dense first episode, but intriguing enough to where i want to follow the series.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Lord_Vegita
Experienced Anime Fan

Send a message via AIM to Lord_Vegita Send a message via MSN to Lord_Vegita Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Vegita Send a message via Skype™ to Lord_Vegita

so far the show is interesting and is presenting lots of questions and has been deepening the mystery about things. they have only just now started to give us little bits and pieces of what's going on (ep7).

Lord_Vegita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
pajama

Interesting series so far. I've only watched up #4, but already the episodes seem very short and I am left at the end with more questions than answers. :P

The animation is great. I like the style and the atmosphere. The characters are well designed and I'm looking forward to getting more information and figuring out more of what's going on.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
LeCKeY
Experienced Anime Fan

Send a message via ICQ to LeCKeY Send a message via AIM to LeCKeY Send a message via MSN to LeCKeY Send a message via Yahoo to LeCKeY

I would agree the animation style is great. Reminds me alot of blame for some reason the style of the robotics and such. I have watched up to 13 the story seems to be moving along at a steady pace.
LeCKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
BTime

Just finished watching the last episode. Can you say Season 2?
If not, I'll feel gyped..
Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
Uriel
MY DNA IS MADE UP OF ANIME

Ending:

Last edited by ace52387; 02-29-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spoiler subject
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
v16
Anime Guru

Sort of watching it now; more exactly, put it aside for a while.

Graphics are really great. High resolution, high detail, good blend of 3d and 2d - real modern animation as it should be, and it creates a deep, thick dystopian atmosphere you immerse yourself in.

However, it's quite specific, maybe too dark in tone. I was as well impressed and involved for about the first twelve episodes. In 13-14 it became quite slow, strange and dark, or maybe I was in the wrong mood, but the unfunny joke the ep. 15 is finished me off. It's very like that terrance&philip episode in South Park, but satiric cartoon is one thing and series all of which value lies in the atmosphere is another. It just, well, kills it. Skipping it you won't lose anything. Somehow I felt uninterested in ep.16 afterwards, despite it goes back to normal.

2Wolfco: Well, it is not what it looks like... The story totally changes course at least 3 times. Sometimes episodes stand a bit out of the main flow.

Generally, I found it very promising at first, but by the middle it turned out to be... well, weird. I can't say for sure. On one hand, the number of references to European classics is very unusual for anime. On the other, the idea sometimes seems so complicated and hidden that there may as well be no particular one. Just don't expect it to be the one you'll never forget, and it's fine. Maybe, in general, too commercial - excellent production quality, good use of psychological effects, but too professional to leave a lasting impression; it's more like it shows off what the studio can do rather than tells something.
v16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
LeCKeY
Experienced Anime Fan

Send a message via ICQ to LeCKeY Send a message via AIM to LeCKeY Send a message via MSN to LeCKeY Send a message via Yahoo to LeCKeY

http://anikimeiski.blogspot.com/

Great blog over the last few episodes after reading that and watching them over again i am fine with the ending and it could be a season 2 but it would be nothing like the first imo. Funny enough kinda reminds me of pale cacoon with the whole lack of the past deal or even big O hehe.
LeCKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
Raven
Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to Raven

I'm very interested in seeing this series. I hear it's all the rage. Plus the animation looks brilliant and I'm sure the story is very good.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Freelance User Interface Designer and Web Application Developer

www.daquanwright.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote