Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror - Anime-Planet forum

Go Back   Anime-Planet forum > Anime and Manga Discussion > Specific Anime Discussion

Notices

Old 02-26-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
runpsicat

Default Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror

Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

This series (or omnibus?) is similar to Hundred Stories in terms of dark/complex plot, though not as twisted. I love it! (Yes, there is death galore :D) It's so awesome that I'm prompted to make my very first recommendation after it gets added to the database, now that I've seen enough dark series to make one... >_>;;

The avant-garde OP and awesome ED theme songs are also worth a listen.

Last edited by rockenroll4life; 10-01-2008 at 12:11 AM.
runpsicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
runpsicat

Default Re: Ayakashi

I'm just going to stress that even if eps 1-8 didn't captivate you, eps 9-11 are on a whole new level and are definitely worth a look, even if you have no intention of watching the other two stories (eps 1-4 = first story; eps 5-8 = second story) in the series. Yes, I know there are no fansubs released of these episodes yet, but they're just so awesome I must post! Don't miss these eps! Marvelous execution of an awesome horror plot!

Someone please release these eps ;___;
Old 04-12-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Aydan
Otaku

I like this anime, but as you said, no subs for the later episodes.
It's too bad.
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
shoggoth80

I am currently watching this series... although I am not current at this time. I have watched the first story Yotsuya Kaidan. This series is pretty all around incredible to me. I like horror for starters, but I also like the fact that all the stories are based on a collection of Edo period "ghost stories". Dunno if anyone else has been following it yet... but there are fansubs that are available, with a few different video formats (I have seen MKV, XviD avi, and h.something or other). It's been really good so far, and I just haven't had enough time to view the latest completed story.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Macabre
Narumon Z

I am really enjoying this series. I am glad I stumbled upon this thread to make me take a look.

First story was interesting. Although I found it a bit repetitive for some reason, making the torture last longer?

Second story was a change of pace.

Third story was awsome. It really impressed me.

Last edited by Macabre; 05-03-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
TheFluff
Narumon Z

gg is the only English group that has done this. It's finished, at 11 episodes.
"The other day a young lad was taken by his mother to the Temple at Wong Tai Sin. He shook the tsim and took the stick to the fortune teller, who said: 'You will have a long life, happiness... but not much money. You will have success... but nobody will know. You will create great things... but other people will get the credit. You will be beautiful in your heart... but not in your looks. I think you're going to be an engineer.'"
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
LeaT
Narumon Z

Default Re: Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror *

This anime hold a lot of enjoyment value for me being an old horror buff as I am. The last arc was the best one, both stylistically and storyline wise. The middle arc was weakest as well and the first arc was quite interesting and had a nice eerie animation to it.

If you liked this anime you should definitely watch the follow up, Mononoke. It's about the medicine seller again, told in three or so different acts. It was also quite enjoyable, especially the last one.
LeaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
tasanime
Anime Fan in Training

Fortunately I can show nothing but support for the series. I think it's the perfect inroduction to horror anime given the scope, depth and visuals that differ so immensly with each arc. I agree with LeaT and would also recommend (as I have in the anirecs - full description there) for anyone who did enjoy the final arc to watch the series entitled 'Mononoke'. For me the first tale despite my undying love for the final arc was ultimately the most intrigueing and disturbing - the only thing I've ever seen come close in terms of disturbing, intense horror theme would have to be the second episode of 'Requiem from the Darkness'.

I look forward to the day when I can recommend a horror fan outside of the realms of anime the series as an introduction to some of the great horror that the anime world has produced, regardless of the fact that it is a genre less explored than others.

~Tasanime
Founder of Feed the Birds - Girls, make your gender known... NO BOYS!!!
tasanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
LeaT
Narumon Z

Aye, the first arc was truly disturbing and was really looking deep into how wicked man can be. Mononoke is definitely strongly recommended to those that like more romantic horror such as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, H. P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe.
LeaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
senile_seinen
Narumon Z

It lives up to its name - it's definitely horror. It was too horrific for milady. That said, I love the animation. Of course, I'm a sucker for original animation anywhere (which accounts for my enjoyment of Hidamari Sketch and even ef-a tale of memories).
senile_seinen is offline   Reply With Quote