Skyrim... The discussion thread!

Quizap

First off, I've played a good 8 or 9 hrs of this already and I've done maybe 8 quests and killed 1 dragon... and that's mostly quests to the main story line. It took me a little over an hour to get to Hrothgar and now they have me on a retrieve quest in a marsh half a world away!:smile:

The game is simply stunning. Each needle on a pine tree is visible and each leaf on a fern is visible. You can see the fur on bears clearly as well as foxes and wolves. It's extremely graphic and the fighting stays true to oblivion... however dragon shouts and magic look cooler and there's execution or killing blow moves which look pretty badass. The lvling system is also pretty complex and engaging. I decided to become a 2 handed badass.

All the same races are in this as well, which is nice and you don't make your character right away... you actually go through a quick storyline and then you make your character as your introducing yourself to a lady of the guard that's going to attempt to execute you. Decapitations are present btw!

Over all this is getting a 10/10 right now. It's very engaging and you can have NPC friends in the game as well as your own place to live. My character is currently a Thane with a warmaiden at my side by the Jarl's orders :smile:

God damn it, I have to wait two whole months to play this (and I have a bunch of missed releases lined up, too, for both PS3 and PC). Fuck.

I played whole 10 minutes and I probably won't play again. First minutes are dully executed, too much talking. Then there is no interaction. And when standard Bathdesa shit kicked in i gave up.

By standard I mean: can't go there, I know you are escaping but wait for that guy, lol dunno why you just have to.

Want to kill that guy? Sorry, can't. He stands there smiling.

Fight? Awesome, the problem is that everything lags so you won't be able to hit anything. Good luck.

Oh, and the whole game being terrible console port? With menus that you can't navigate with mouse? Why the fuck show mouse cursor if it does nothing?

No paperdoll.

My ps3 owning friend reports that game lags on his console. How can you make game for console and fuck up the performance?

I've yet to encounter any type of "lag" on the console portion and that part at the very beginning doesn't happen at all again afterwards.

Your friend might have an older PS3 and that's why it's lagging. Same thing happens to someone down the hall from me. His PS3 is one from within the first couple years and mine is one of the slimmer smaller ones and runs a hell of a lot better. That could be his lag issue right there.

They released a patch for the controls on PC.

I've got to wait a few weeks until I even get mine. Plus I'm not installing it until the holidays start. I can and have been hearing my roommate play the game literally non-stop since it was released! Can't wait until I get it to try it. Haven't played any Elder Scrolls games and got bored of Fallout 3 two hours in.

well idk if i'll buy this one new...i did go to the can i run this game site...and my comp passed by 50% so i'll just wait till i can buy it on ebay...or Uriel could send me his copy.....

I've already reserved my copy for the PC a week ago.
The shop weren't open yesterday on the release because 11/11 is an official holiday here, so I'll get my copy today.
However, don't have that much time to play it though.
I've got exams within two months, quantum mechanics and such...

EDIT: I got my copy now. :)

Last edited:
I'm unsure whether its worth me buying it at its full price or waiting for it to be cheaper

can anyone compair it against oblivion so I know how good it is?

Last edited:
What does the weather have to do with this? Does it have to be sunny to buy a game for full price? Lol, I'm just kidding with you.

I'm also at the point of being appointed Thane. I actually put my controller down to come into this thread and I accidentally hit R2 sending a shout and then the whole of Whiterun beat me into a pulp. God bless autosave! I'm farming for gold to get a house.

The game is stunning I agree. Literally could spend hours running around lost or riding through the world. To be honest, I am just mucking about with my present character. On the second-run through I will probably do things more orderly to get more powerful skills.

I'm also at the point of being appointed Thane. I actually put my controller down to come into this thread and I accidentally hit R2 sending a shout and then the whole of Whiterun beat me into a pulp. God bless autosave! I'm farming for gold to get a house.

The game is stunning I agree. Literally could spend hours running around lost or riding through the world. To be honest, I am just mucking about with my present character. On the second-run through I will probably do things more orderly to get more powerful skills.

I searched and searched and couldn't find where to buy the house or how much it was. Happy to see someone found it, and what is the price? I'm currently lvl 9 in Windhelm (asshole's throughout this city) with about 3.2k gold. Could be a lot more but I have 2 horses, one's a 7 y/o female that hauls ass and the other is a bit older and a bit slower.

I lost my warmaiden in one of the burrows :crying: The Pale Lady demolished her, lol. I've also killed 3 dragons now, hella crazy fights! The hardest fight I've come up on, and walked away from till I'm stronger is at the end of one of the crypts. Damn zombie has dragonborn shouts and comes with a ghost that does the same thing and summons an ice golem at the same time. Poor little me gets destroyed in 2 hits!:laugh:

The house costs 5000 and is in Whiterun, you ask the Jarl's consort guy... um, Proventus Avenicci.

So, where do you find the dragons? I was doing a side quest and a dragon came out of nowhere and flew around a while, was that an invite to fight with it?

I'm already looking forward to getting married in this game. How sad am I?

edit: just bought my house :) if only this were real life

Stick to the main quest chains and you'll eventually be able to use your shouts more then once a day and you'll start fighting more dragons as well. The further you are in the main chain, the more dragons there are that appear.

So anyways, house will have to wait. I'm dirt broke because I got caught breaking into a city house in Windhelm and then killed the guard that caught me. Murder is 1040g lol. Looked at my stats and it seems I've murdered 3 people and didn't even realize it.

I'm actually having a lot of fun with the game, so much so that I actually bought a full price copy even after I told myself I was going to wait for the GOTY edition... >_>

Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I liked Morrowind and Fallout 3 a good bit, but found Oblivion to be mediocre, repetitive, highly-broken crap. So, I was rather worried about the direction of future Elder Scrolls games.

However, they seem to have fixed most of my complaints I hated from Oblivion, added in a bunch of other stuff I used to mod in manually (cooking, smithing, etc) and even put in a bunch of new things I didn't even know I wanted.

As for the PC version, yeah, it absolutely sucks and it's kind of insulting Bethesda would release such a lazy port. I downloaded it first to try the game out and see how it was and bought the Xbox 360 version since it was much more suited to the platform, plus I couldn't really think of much of anything I felt compelled to change in the game, so I'm pretty happy playing vanilla this time.

Also, I'm loving the new magic system, it's so satisfying. Doesn't even bother me that you apparently can't make custom spells anymore, as it's just so much more fun to use regardless.

I personally like how you can charge spells and the longer you hold the button down, the more dmg you get out of it.

The quests though are so far spread out it's redonkulous. My quests from Riverwood and Whitehelm now have me going to the VERY far Northwest corner of the map :...::laugh::@_@:

First death in game:
Lvl ~6 me: Ooh, a mammoth skull on the map! I wonder what that is!?
*Finds actual mammoth.
Hmm, seems friendly enough.
*Walks over...
*Closer...
*Closer still...
WHAM! Another mammoth charges straight at me from the side, killing me in one hit and knocking my corpse over the next mountain.

I'm playing on the PC, but the controls don't bother me as I'm playing with a wired Xbox controller.
It's an absolutely amazing game, and insanely fun to play; the trouble is, I'm playing four other games at the same time, so I'm gonna have to put playing this properly off 'til later.

First death in game:
Lvl ~6 me: Ooh, a mammoth skull on the map! I wonder what that is!?
*Finds actual mammoth.
Hmm, seems friendly enough.
*Walks over...
*Closer...
*Closer still...
WHAM! Another mammoth charges straight at me from the side, killing me in one hit and knocking my corpse over the next mountain.

My first death was after I switched to my owned version of the game and made a new character. Was going back through Bleak Falls Barrow, but I bumped the difficulty up because I was plowing through stuff too quickly when I first tried the game out on normal.

Well... got up to the giant spider like before (where you meet the bandit stuck in a spider web), however this time it drained my entire stamina bar instantly and raped me in 3 hits. :laugh: Guess I'll do that part later then after I get some better equipment and build up my character a little more.

After some playing I encountered my first critical bug, the game suddenly closed without a warning... :...:
If I look on the net, there seem to be other little bugs too. (link - Dutch site with videos)
Nevertheless, Skyrim is still awesome though. :)
It's an huge improvement compared with Oblivion imo.

My first death was on the mountain side by Hrothgar or w/e the dragonborne town is on top of the mountain. I needed to get into Riverwood and didn't want to take an hour to do so. So.... I slowly creeped down the mountain and my horse did a slight jump off a rock... to a pretty high cliff. Needless to say, don't fall down the mountains :laugh:

First game I've come across that doesn't do a quick death when falling down the mountain... it showed me hitting EVERYTHING and my body twisting like a rag doll with every hit till I get a rock wall on the bottom. Was the longest 2 minutes of agonizing while laughing facial expressions I've had in a bit. :laugh:

Back