Manga Recommendation Database

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
For a long time, people have asked me to make a manga recommendation database. People seem to like the quality of Anime-Planet's entries and have wanted a way to find out what to read next.

With the launch of version 2 of the AniRec, I am confident that it wouldn't take too much work to clone the existing code and put in manga information, so people could start making manga recommendations. In preparation (I just won't renew them if this doesn't move forward), I've registered the domains mangarecommendations.com (as we already own animerecommendations.com) and mangarec.com (as we already own anirec.com).

In order to do this, though, I'd need several dedicated people to help add manga information. I watch anime, so I've added hundreds of series, myself, to the AniRec. I don't read manga, however... and I'd still want the quality people have come to know and love for the AniRec. If you are interested in helping add information, please let me know ASAP.

I also need to know what information you'd want for a manga rec database. Synopsis, I assume... what else? I know nothing about manga. Volumes? Languages? Relations? Please list the things you'd want to know about the most.

We'd need to get started on getting content ASAP so by the time I'm done with the new AniRec and site design, I'd be able to get started on a manga rec.

as a follow up, i need the following types of people to help gather info:

1. information gatherers (how many volumes, titles, etc). no english ability needed as long as you can cut/paste.

2. synopsis writers. must have medium/strong english writing skills.

3. editors. you'll be needed to edit/check the synopsises that are handed in

Ah, this is great! However, I think that there are some quite good manga databases out there and one mostly only needs to copy/paste infos such as volume numbers etc. from them. Animenewsnetwork is okayish for that, and Mangaupdates (even though it mainly is a scanlation releases site) is very good in my opinion.

Aside from that, I'd love to help out except with information gathering and editing. With the over 600 series and/or one-shots I have read I hope I can be of any help ^^

Since I have a book shelf full of manga AND 200gbs hd almost 70% filled with manga..
I guess I can help :]]

synopsis the artist (if you wanna feel like a neckbeard list it as manga-ka) if its written by someone other than the illustrator that too how many volumes (some series have multipul releases so their might be more tha one number depending on the version) and if you could a cover gallery

I'm confident enough to say I have very good English skills and about 99.9% of my vocabulary comes out spelled correctly. I wouldn't mind writing some reviews and finding some information. Just let me know exactly what you need if you've found some people and I'll happily help with whatever you need. I could sharpen my skills anyway. ^_^

Note: I don't have much manga but if I'm allowed to find online sources then I'm good to go.
I only have volume one of Beck and Azumanga Daioh.

Last edited:
@Raven: Wow, that's almost 10% :P

But anyways, I think a manga rec db would be a nice feature. I don't read a lot of manga, but this would be really helpful at least for me.

only 5 or less people are interested in this?? if so, deeeefinitely not worth my time.

i need a clear consensus on what info to add to this if we are going to have one. can people read rev. ebt's suggestions and verify, add your own, etc?

my time is valuable and fleeting, so if i'm going to spend it on this feature, i need unanimous and large support.

I like the idea. What I would like to see is that it will tell you weather the manga is still going on after the anima or not.

I believe this is going to be tougher because manga usually cost a lot more than anime. Since each volume costs $9.99 in the U.S. a five volume series would be 49.95.

Is it OK if we write the reviews in our own words and gather information from miscellaneous sources or do we have to own and read the entire volume of manga to be able to review it?

I only read a little bit of manga, but I might read more if I had a resource to help me sift through it all. There is so much out there!

It would be nice to know how much the manga differs from the anime (if there is one, of course).

my time is valuable and fleeting, so if i'm going to spend it on this feature, i need unanimous and large support.
If it's like this, then you can count me out. If the initiator needs so much help, then I guess we won't see any results anyways.
Info research and editing can even be done by one person alone, and I would have suggested a wiki to make it easier for people to participate. But of course there must be somebody who is willing to put time and effort in it, and if the initiator doesn't, well then I wouldn't want to do much either, I'm afraid. ^^;;;

i hope i'm reading that post wrong, or else i'm going to feel very, very unappreciated.

you do realize, that i spend basically ALL of my free time once i get home on the site, right? i spend as much time on it as i do my full time job, and get nothing for it.

when i say my time is fleeting, it's because i am always doing SOMETHING for this site... whether it's building the new recommendation system (up in the next few days), building new features (like save/watched which went up a week ago), or reviewing and adding content that i've seen.

but i don't read manga. and given the lack of support i've had in the past getting content up (only about 3 people submit anirec entries, i add ALL of the rest myself, even though i don't have time to watch stuff and end up watching tons of stuff i don't want to just to get up entries for people), i don't trust that if i put up a manga rec, that any content would go up, unless i have a LOT of people in here promising they will help gather the information. because i physically can't do it myself, and because there are so many other projects i need to put my time into for you guys and the site, that i don't want to get randomized on a manga rec that no one will help with. you realize that only one person makes this entire site, right? and/or adds all the entries, designs it, researches it, manages it, etc.

not to mention i'd be doing this because you guys wanted it, not because i was frothing at the mouth to create a manga rec... so give me some credit please -_-

and also, fyi, but i suffer from tendonitis and a number of other painful things in my arms because i type too much. doing lots of clicking (like cutting and pasting) just isn't possible for me. when no one volunteered to help gather information for all of the anirec titles 8 months ago, i had to do them all myself... it took 3 months, and i was in serious pain the entire time. asking me to do that again for a manga rec that people are potentially unwilling to help on is not an option.

sorry if it ends up i'm misunderstanding you... just keep in mind i'm extremely sensitive to people not appreciating what i do, since i sacrifice a goddamn majority of my time to work on this site and usually get not only no contributions, but also no recognition or gratitude as well. i don't think it's too much to ask that if i'm going to spend months on a project for you guys, that i'd require that people buy into the idea of helping first.

If it's like this, then you can count me out. If the initiator needs so much help, then I guess we won't see any results anyways.
Info research and editing can even be done by one person alone, and I would have suggested a wiki to make it easier for people to participate. But of course there must be somebody who is willing to put time and effort in it, and if the initiator doesn't, well then I wouldn't want to do much either, I'm afraid. ^^;;;

Sothis already wrote her statement, however do you think one person alone can read, summarize, take pictures of all the bazillion manga which are out there? No this is is a task for manga readers. As for initiator goes, coding such thing would be already a task, but if you look at the anirec you'd see and imagine how it could look like. Why would a wiki be better than the forum? The thing with anirec is that it is from users for users (where sothis already happens to submit a large percentage herself). An anonymous wiki is not something this site wants. Personalized recommendations is the reason for this site after all. As for willing time and effort, willing to invest time to create the engine behind that isn't worth to count? If everyone thinks he won't help if no one else starts to help (or take the lead,as you might call it) then i don't see a future of it.

Want my take your attitude?

Here's some mushed Pablum(tm) for you to eat. Oh, and let's not forget the second-hand oats (since it's too much work for you to eat for yourself).

Bah.

Why bother posting to just say you suck?

RwP

I guess this "Manga Recommendation Database" would be very good for me. Because I've been meaning to start reading manga but... I don't know where to start. I'm guessing there are MANY more manga novels out there than anime series. I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to manga.

The only manga I've read has been "Lovely Complex" and a bit of a korean manwa (is that what they call it?) called "Sleeping Beauty". And even so... there are only 21 chapters of Lovely Complex translated. There are 60 something in total! *cries*

I support sothis and everything she's done for this site. She concentrates hard on doing a good job and she doesn't have a team helping her out. Having a project based around community contributions can be a beautiful thing and it's very selfish to expect an already busy person to do another huge project by herself. She puts all her time and effort into the site obviously and it's more likely impossible at this time to do something like a manga rec. as a solo job. Content doesn't magically appear on pages with a snap of your finger, it takes time and effort, plus you'll be wanting to check your spelling and grammar.

haveing a manga section will be good for members we have alredy but you can atract more member of the manga lovers so now you have the anime fans joining and the manga fans joining and the member numbers rise to a alltime high

Back